Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

HTT Manifolds VS ATS Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is why you need a HTT or ATS manifold.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...hp?photo=12525
Old 09-22-2005, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by duke1n
My HTT came assembled and with pyro ports. I don't get the whole porting deal. The HTT matched exactly. Even the gaskets were an exact fit. I don't think it did jack for spool up EGTs but it looks pretty and won't crack. I did have to re-route the heater core hose as the stock metal tubing would not work with the HTT manifold.
Last week I saw a 3rd gen with an ATS cracked in two. The turbo was also cracked. It is now on its 3rd manifold. The truck is owned by a local trailer manufacturer and usually pulls loads over 20k pounds and is driven by employees. Those 3rd gens can run real hot and not burn a piston.

ATS replaced the manifold.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:34 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My HTT came assembled and with pyro ports. I don't get the whole porting deal. The HTT matched exactly. Even the gaskets were an exact fit. I don't think it did jack for spool up EGTs but it looks pretty and won't crack. I did have to re-route the heater core hose as the stock metal tubing would not work with the HTT manifold.

Man Duke, that is one clean and pretty looking engine! Good job!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:45 AM

Cummins also makes a two piece for the B series.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 13FOX
Cummins also makes a two piece for the B series.
Why yes they do. I have 4 of them on our ISB powered service trucks. I couldn't believe it at first, but then I realized that these trucks are built to yank 30K around like it isn't there so they tend to get quite a bit hotter than our derated Dodge trucks in stock form.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:35 AM

Duke1N

Is that the HPC coating?

RJ
Old 09-22-2005, 10:51 AM

That IS a very clean looking setup.

I fabricated an extension for the heater hose bracket when my HTT was installed.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Banned

Yes it is Roland.

Thx CTD Nut.

So you have seen cracked 3 piece Bart? That thing must have been cherry red lol.

Any part numbers for the Cummins OEM unit?
Old 09-22-2005, 11:19 AM

I really like how the HTT manifold is tapped and ported for both the front and rear three exhaust ports. However, I do not wish to re-route the heater lines from the stock location.

duke1n - Was it an abslolute necessity to re-route the lines, or do you think you could have gotten by without doing it?

I've heard the stock manifold can also damage the head itself. If you look down the front manifold bolt, you'll notice the stock manifold is closer on one side of the bolt than the other. Eventually, the stock manifold will be touching the bolt and will put pressure against it. This pressure will eventually crack the area of the head that the bolt threads into.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Banned

In my opinion yes. It's hard to explain but the extra girth of the HTT causes the metal tubing to not be able to be mounted in the stock position. One could probably fab up a bracket that would allow the tube to be moved out further from underneath the manifold but I felt like re-routing was a cleaner solution. It also allows easier access to the lower manifold bolts for re-torquing. It's pretty easy and costs next to nothing to do it. I can show you pics how I did it if you want.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by royta
I really like how the HTT manifold is tapped and ported for both the front and rear three exhaust ports. However, I do not wish to re-route the heater lines from the stock location.

duke1n - Was it an abslolute necessity to re-route the lines, or do you think you could have gotten by without doing it?

I've heard the stock manifold can also damage the head itself. If you look down the front manifold bolt, you'll notice the stock manifold is closer on one side of the bolt than the other. Eventually, the stock manifold will be touching the bolt and will put pressure against it. This pressure will eventually crack the area of the head that the bolt threads into.
It's not necessary to re-route the heater hose line. The problem is the stock bolts and spacers, used in the center 4 holes, can't be used because of a restriction caused by increased size of the manifold expansion joints. An extension can be added to the heater hose bracket over to the new, shorter, bolt in the manifold. Many people just cut off the stock bracket and run without it.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:57 PM
Banned

That what's some refer to as a hack job lol. Trust me it's not going to be a clean setup if you do that. It's mounted on both the back and front of the manifold. The back would require a new bracket be fabbed which would space it away from the manifold. It would then be in there all cockeyed. Leaving it hanging would be cheesy too. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Judging by some of the stuff I've seen this would not surprise me to see it just left hanging lol.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:24 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
The HTT manifold isn't sent drilled and tapped. At least mine wasn't. HTT claims their manifold flows slightly better than the ATS.
Just finished my install of the HTT last month, yes this came tapped with a choice of 2 locations.(Thanks DieselGuru for the refferal to HTT) Nice set up, very clean and beefier than OEM. For a clean finish, ask for the allen head bolts. Very tough lookin'. Carmyne
Old 09-24-2005, 12:43 PM

So far nobody has actually verified the claims of the manufacturer about spoolup or egts. Isn't there anybody out there who has done no other changes and seen a difference in egt's? Has anybody had one ported and seen a difference, either pulled off a three piece and ported it and found a difference or took off the stock manifold and installed a ported/non-ported one and seen a difference? We all know they will replace a cracked stock manifold, c'mon guys, give us something helpful!
Old 09-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigragu
Just finished my install of the HTT last month, yes this came tapped with a choice of 2 locations.(Thanks DieselGuru for the refferal to HTT) Nice set up, very clean and beefier than OEM. For a clean finish, ask for the allen head bolts. Very tough lookin'. Carmyne
I'm pretty sure that you will have a difficult time keeping them properly torqued. They are not long enough to maintain their elasticity and stretch out. The stock bolts are that long for a reason.

Bill, I switched from a B1-2 to the SPS66 at the same time I installed the manifold so I can't give a direct comparison but visually, I don't see how you would gain anything. It wasn't anymore opened up than the stocker. Looks cool and shouldn't crack...

Quick Reply: HTT Manifolds VS ATS Manifolds