Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Htt Manifold And Pre Tapped Pyro

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Htt Manifold And Pre Tapped Pyro

Just had my new exhaust manifold put on and the pre-tapped hole is not even close to the same size hole that comes with the X-Monitor. My only choice at this point to resize the hole? Thought they were all std holes for pyros?

Any thoughts? Buddy working on it going to call both HTT and X-monitor, just figured I would get thoughts here as well.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Banned

Just buy an adapter for it.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know X Monitor but suspect hole is too small? Had to enlarge mine for my ISSPRO gauges. OK to open it up in place, with grease to catch most of the shavings.
lots of info on this if you do a search. Excellent discussion here...
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ght=pyro+probe

RJ
Old 12-22-2005, 02:02 PM

If you do not have a good tap/die set just take it to your local machine shop and have them fit your sender to it. I couldnt see it costing more then $10
Old 12-22-2005, 04:30 PM

Its done. Boost and EGT hooked up. Unfort. I misunderstood the installation of the trans for my truck. Thought wire just had to be tapped. Didn't know sensor had to be dropped into the trans.

So for now only egt and boost. Going to see about getting fuel instead added to X and then put sep. trans temp gauge on before I head to Florida in February.

We'll see.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Most pyros are 1/8" NPT, but some (isspro I think) are 1/4" NPT. No problem to either drill and tap it larger, or bush it down to the smaller size.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:23 PM

how are your boost numbers now with the repaired manifold?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:56 PM

Well, considering I never had gauges I don't have a clue as to what it should read. Not sure if its even working properly. Boost is reading about .8 idling and hits about 3.9 when stomping on it up to about 70mph.

EGTS range from 400 to 1200 in matter of seconds by just letting off gas.

Normal? or bad gauge/setup?
Old 12-22-2005, 06:25 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wbaker68
Well, considering I never had gauges I don't have a clue as to what it should read. Not sure if its even working properly. Boost is reading about .8 idling and hits about 3.9 when stomping on it up to about 70mph.

EGTS range from 400 to 1200 in matter of seconds by just letting off gas.

Normal? or bad gauge/setup?
You've got something up with your boost gauge, I see 20psi easily on a stock 2001.

One thing, the ferrell on the boost tube is tiny, it can easliy crimp off the flow if you over tighten it. You should see zero at idle and it should ramp up to way more than 3. something.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:27 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't realize you were on a digital, you could have a fractional reading at idle I guess.

But, you should be seeing it move up pretty quickly when you romp on it.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:56 PM

Both actually sound a little off....how is the truck running. My truck wa set up like yours at one point and would hit 35psi+. You installed the elbow right? HOw does it run? EGT sounds high for just an EZ...I wonder if your turbo is leaking at your new manifold or somewhere in the piping. Low boost = High EGT so it makes sense that if you actually have 3.9 psi that your egt would be high. Truck would run pretty doggy though
Old 12-22-2005, 08:07 PM

Going to have my buddy help me look for leak tomorrow.

Should EGT's fluctuate as rapidly as you let off gas, several hundred degrees within seconds?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:41 PM

they move quickly but when you let off they should go down not up...I think your gonna find a big boost leak somewhere. You will need to powerbrake it to build some boost to find it Check all your intercolloer boots as it is common to pop them loose

try putting your stock elbow back in and see if that changes your boost, This way you know you have a leak or your elbow is not set right
Old 12-22-2005, 09:56 PM

Fixed leak. There was a clamp missing on the hose leading from turbo to front grill. The first clamp was there from turbo to rubber but the 2nd clamp wasn't and I am betting from the power I felt, it hasn't been there for some time, not just missing from exhaust intake change as we didn't take the turbo off to put it on.

I maxed boost out at 26.7 in a short 2 mile run down road after putting a clamp on it. EGT's got to about 800. Will pay more attention to EGTs tomorrow, but hopefully they stay below 1000 without load.

This weekend I am pulling my 5th wheel, no hills though, but will have a heavy 12,000 plus load.

Next weekend, going up to Hamburg, PA to Cabelas and pulling 5th wheel, will get real good egt test there.

Thanks to all for suggestions. Thanks Big Deezul for hanging with me thru e-mails figuring this out. I owe you!
Old 12-23-2005, 06:17 AM

Thats awesome man. I would guess that clamp being off probably got the truck pretty hot before when towing and may have been part of the reason if not the only reason for your manifold cracking. Its a good thing that it was cought now before something really bad happened. You should have loads more power now then when you were making no boost and now with the EZ it should feel that much better yet. Let me know how your towing trips go. Get that fuel pressure gauge hooked up when you can...thats the big one to watch on our trucks because low fp to the VP has been related to alot of dead $1200 pumps

Quick Reply: Htt Manifold And Pre Tapped Pyro