Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

HTB2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HTB2 Questions

For all of you running a High Tech HTB2 turbo if possible please chime in and answer a few questions for me:

1) If you have run a PDR-40, B-1, or B-1-2 how does this turbo compare? The areas of concern are spoolup, egt's, and backpressure.

2) Is anyone running the HTB2/64? How do you like it?

3) Has anyone dynoed and what were the results?

pretty much what I am looking to see is how does this turbo stack up against these other turbos. Each has its own pros and cons so I am trying to see where the HTB2 fits in.....

Thanks,

Doug
Old 08-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Banned

Sounds like somebody's bored with their current setup. As if 886hp isn't enough.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The HTB2 surpasses a PDR HX40 in every way. It spools almost like a HX35-12 and way out flows the 40 on the top end. It gives twice as much boost at 1400 rpm than the PDR HX40.

I've never run any of the "B" series turbos so I don't personally know how it compares to them. From what I've seen on the dyno it way out spools and gives as much power as a B1, though.

High Tech claims it is efficient between 38 and 48 lbs boost.

Paul at High Tech says the vanes in the 64 are almost 30% heavier than the standard version so maybe that can give you an idea of how it is going to spool.

I've dynoed with a hybred HX35 and PDR HX40 on Edge's Mustang, and now the HTB2 on Edge's new Super Flow dyno a couple of weeks ago. Did 453 uncorrected hp at 4300 ft and 85* through the stock air cleaner. Close as I can tell this turbo has to be worth 30 to 40 hp over a HX40, after taking into account differences in dynos and other added mods. Boost on the dyno was up 5 lbs over my previous best.

Last weekend I tried towing with my Comp on 5x5 and water injection using windshield washer fluid. There were no EGT issues at 6 to 8000 ft altitude at any rpm. But I had to drop down to 1x1 because the slightest ease up on the throttle would cause the turbo to bark while pulling steep hills. It was impossible to keep from barking because the throttle was so sensitive. Never experienced anything like that before.

Truck is a '01 ETH with DD3s.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:44 PM

Bart,

Was the turbo barking or surging?

Doug
Old 08-31-2004, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doug,

I'm not sure what surging is and maybe that's what it was doing, but I doubt it.

If I let just a tiny, tiny bit on the throttle it would bark and loose a little boost. I would then press the throttle a tiny bit more, boost would build, let off, and the whole cycle would start again. If I could keep steady throttle things would be all right, but believe me, that was difficult to do because the throttle was extremely sensative. Snow's water injection may have had something to do with it. When the water hits, boost builds and amplifies the throttle setting.

Have you seen the HTB2 up close and personal yet? High Tech claims there's nothing special to the setup as it can be serviced by any turbo shop which handles Borg Warner. Don't know which Borg Warner it is as all the numbers are ground off. It's pieced together from various models. They're soon going to be experimenting with special modifications and tweaks to the inside of it.

I'll try measuring the exhaust back pressure tonight. With this turbo barking so easy and running so cool, it must be close to 1/1 or better, I'm thinking.

Bart