Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Htb2

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Htb2

Got it put in this weekend. Had to wait to do it as the day it arrived was our engagement anniversary. Gotta love my wife. If she let me get it the least I could do was give her the evening with undivided attention. Didn't even open the box.

I have only the stock HX35 and a PDR40 (on a different truck) to compare to. Spools just as quick, very stable boost levels (more so than the 35) and builds them quickly. Before with the 35 I didn't dare mash it hard or I was into 1500 before I knew it. Now it will build to 1400 but much, much slower. I'm still tweaking on the #10 plate (wive calls it FPT - fuel plate tweaking) to find a sweet spot of power and temp control. It is a bit louder but not harsh. I've got a BHAF but may go to a Scotty type system for even better temp control.

All-in-all very pleased with turbo and service from HTTurbo. I did have to "adjust" the oil return tube to get it to clear the wastegate rod and compressor housing, but this was a known and did a little rigging on the exhaust.

Now I'm looking for the next upgrade. "Honest Honey, this will be the last thing I'll have to do." It's a long way until our next anniversary.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:39 AM

How was the installation in the 12V? Did you use an "off the shelf" 4" downpipe or make an adapter?
Old 09-14-2004, 01:13 PM

Installation was straight forward. I did have to press in the oil return tube to clear the wastegate rod. This was easy with a ball peen hammer. As it's not under pressure on this side and wide open it causes no problems. I used there 4" downpipe. Clean welds, proper angles. I did have to add a section as I have an after-market exhaust. Talk with Paul at HTTurbo before buying and describe length/couplings needed. The rest of it is sweet! I'm glad I didn't go with a 35/40 hybrid. PM me if any questions.

Paul
Old 09-14-2004, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got about the same mod's as you do, (or will have, the HTB2 is on the way, and the 370's and 191 are here but waiting on the turbo, no snow plow here in Texas) I wanted to know what kind of EGT's you are seeing, Also what kind of EGT's before the turbo. Thanks, Tim
Old 09-16-2004, 08:30 AM

Tim, sorry for slow answer, I was gone and just got back.

With stock HX35 I was pushing past 40 psi boost (I know it's out of range for turbo) and could easily peg 1500 (pre-turbo temp probe) without any signs of it dropping unless I backed out of it. Now with HTB2 wastegate set at 38 psi if I really hammer it, it will more slowly climb to 1500 for a few seconds but it will come down. If I roll into it and build up the boost it's no problem. I also had the #10 fairly far forward and will probably back it off some more.

The top end now is great. My wife has to remind me to watch the big gauge on the dash, not just the little ones on the pillar (honest officer I was only at 38 psi). It can go from 60 to 80 in a flash (not much more with the 4.10's). The spool up is quick and boost seems more stable than the HX35. You may have to peen the oil return tube a bit to get it to clear the wastegate rod but with a little tweaking that wasn't bad. PM me if you have any other questions. So far, very satisfied.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:24 AM

Paul

"Spool up is quick..."
How does it conpare to HX-35...Same?...Slightly slower?...Noticably slower?
How about smoke control?
You say you CAN still get to 1500*?
Just curious how they compare to the B-1's. If you have a chance, could you see what EGT's you get holding 30 PSI boost (for as long as you can)?
Also, on flat road - with cruise set on 60 mph...do you get a boost reading?
Two interesting (objective) ways to compare turbos...did these for HY-35, KSB-1-2, and KSB-1.
Thanks
RJ
Old 09-16-2004, 09:37 AM

I think the spool up is just as fast as the HX35. I know I was over-driving the 35 with my fuel set up but could control smoke if I didn't hammer it. Now, smoke is better and controllable. I could have stayed with the HX35 if I wanted to drive conservatively. But hey, why add DV's and injectors if I want coservative. Not sure what kind of fuel levels your pushing with your 24 valve and mods but there are some links here and on the other diesel site that may help or just talk with Paul at HTTurbo.

Open road at 60 mph around 5 psi or less. It's at the low end of the gauge so not sure exactly how accurate it is. Well under 8 though. I'll have to check the temps at 30 psi tonight and post tomorrow.

Paul

Trending Topics

Old 09-17-2004, 09:36 PM

RJ -

Got the numbers last night. Outdoor temps about 66 and dry. At an even 60 mph was at 2 to 3 psi boost (first line on Isspro EV). EGT's 550 (preturbo).

Climbing a hill about 1 mile long held boost at 30 psi temps held at 875 steady. Truck has 4.10 gears and is 4x4. How does this compare with the three you checked?

Paul
Old 09-18-2004, 04:23 PM

Paul

Thanks for taking the time. Think you'll find first line on Isspro ev boost = 4 psi. (it is on mine).
Guess we are comparing apples & oranges. With my KSB-1 and 3.55 rear end I get 1000* at 30 PSI. 1-3 psi at 60 mph on cruise.

My KSB1-2 (I was badly overfueled) got 1050* at 30 psi.
All my reading were at 90*+ OAT. probably too many differences for valid comparisons ? The HTB2 sound nice.
Thanks
RJ