Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hrvp+f1m4+ps64=!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hrvp+f1m4+ps64=!

Just got home from having Doug a PDW set up the bombs listed above. I know the PS64 is pretty new so I just wanted to give my impressions from the setup. Now the problem for me right now is that I've neglected to add a boost fooler so my truck makes power then defuels immediately- like an on/off switch =\

So how does the PS64 spool? Well it spins at idle and you can hear it spinning pretty good at 1500 rpms- but still no boost registering. I did make note of boost at highway speeds w/ cc set on level ground in 6th gear. At 60 mph I'm at 1750 rpms and running maybe 1 lb of boost. At 70 I'm at 2000 rpms running 4-5 lbs. Now at 60 running just 1 lb of boost I mashed the gas and started counting one-one-thousand,... but by the time I was through one-one I was hitting 30 lbs of boost- I look down and I'm going 80 . So to answer the question of spool on the PS64 vs hx35- I can hear the PS spooling at lower rpms than the hx, but the hx seemed to build boost sooner between 1600-1800 rpms. From 1800 up it is game over for the hx. PS can make it feel like God just kicked the rear bumper

Between the HRVP and the Mach 4's, I can't distinguish between which has given me more fuel where, but there is unboubtedly a lot of fuel being added now. I can control smoke if I drive at less than 1/2 throttle, but beyond that I've definately got a cloud maker right now. Without the boost fooler the truck gets on it and defuels right back off so the smoke isn't clearing. I'll post further results once I get this issue resolved.

Who sells the boost foolers guys? I guess I'll try to get on the list for the Smarty- hope the first batch has not all sold yet =\

Now the nice thing is that the stock clutch is holding just fine. The truck defueling from the overboost is doing its job and the clutch really hasn't been taxed too much.

Once I save some money and replace my clutch I'd love to see what she'll do on a dyno w/o a wire tap

I'd like to thank Doug at PDW for his time on the install. Also thanx to II and Don for the goods
http://www.performancedieselwarehouse.com/index.html
Old 01-02-2006, 08:17 AM

www.haisleymachine.com has boost foolers.
They call them anti defuel devices I think.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Once you add some type of performance box, be it a programmer or even an entry level box like an Edge EZ, the truck will drive tons different toward the better side.

Don~
Old 01-02-2006, 12:45 PM

Yep- the truck's just teasing me right now. Letting me get a glimpse of the power its making right before taking it away
Old 01-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Banned

glad to hear the turbo is all it's cracked up to be. i just ordered the same combo minus the hrvp. i'm anxious to get it all installed then see what it'll do once i get dons new smarty. any egt issues at all with the combo? have u hooked onto anything yet? any idea what kind of #'s it's putting out?
Old 01-03-2006, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by kipo
glad to hear the turbo is all it's cracked up to be. i just ordered the same combo minus the hrvp. i'm anxious to get it all installed then see what it'll do once i get dons new smarty. any egt issues at all with the combo? have u hooked onto anything yet? any idea what kind of #'s it's putting out?
I won't be able to post EGT's until I get a boost fooler. For me, seeing my max EGT's will tale the tale as to whether I bought the right turbo. I'm not going to haul anything. Don't really care about numbers, but it'd be cool if its a high one If I can get it to build boost a couple hundred rpms lower with the smarty then I'll be very happy.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:36 AM

Talking Maybe its breakin in =P

Update: after a little exerimentation with my stock air box I can now get 10 lbs of boost at 1500 rpms and the boost begins building at 1400 rpms Not bad for a turbo bigger than a full b-1 =P I have to work to make it smoke now and when it does its not thick black smoke like it was.

All I did was stick a peice of cardboard in the fender well behind the hole for the air box to create a ram air effect. Seems to be working pretty good- I might have to rig something up permantly. I'll play some more and update again once I get a boost fooler and can give max egts.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:49 PM

Boost/ egt update

65 mph 0-1 lbs 700 degrees
70 mph 1-5lbs 750 degrees
75 mph 5-10lbs 800 degrees

With the tinkering I've been doing with the stock air box I can now see 10 lbs of boost in the lower gears in normal driving conditions- which means short shifting shortly after 2k rpms. I have not yet hit 1000 degrees so I might need more fuel
Old 01-22-2006, 04:25 PM

How can you get 30lb. of boost if you don't have a boost fooler?? I would think it would build stock boost... then cut fuel and that's it....???????

-Ryan
Old 01-22-2006, 07:40 PM

I've hit 35-40 while being defueled Like the little engine that could I think it spools faster than the ecm can defuel sometimes.

Now while testing the smarty, I was looking to see if boost would build sooner in the rpm range, which it did not =\ What it did do was instead of seeing 10 lbs in 3rd and 4th I might see 15. This is smoke free driving in traffic mind you. With the smarty I kept seeing #'s on my guages that made me do this ==>
Old 01-22-2006, 07:48 PM
The Guru

Are your egt's readings pre turbo or post turbo? You should try the comp box, then see how fast youjr turbo will spool-up. Mines abit lazy without the box but with it on 3X3 or higher, I can light the tires almost at will. Sounds like you have a pretty sweet set-up
Old 01-22-2006, 07:52 PM

Pre turbo thanks to Doug @ PDW
Old 01-26-2006, 10:16 AM
The Guru

Your egt's are pretty similar to mine. Once you get a boost fouler, I like to know your wot egt's. I'm bet that you should be around 1200 deg F, towing up a hill. Pretty decent. I can easily peg my pryo at 1500 deg on a wot 1/4 blast (empty).
Old 01-26-2006, 02:22 PM

Air box? AIR BOX? Man, you're strangling that turbo...

Rich "green with envy" Q.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:20 PM

Stock airbox w/ K&N currently
Fenderwell filled in with foam past the hole for the airbox to create a ram air effect. Combustable at 250 degrees- maybe not the most intelligent material to use (its the bomb!) Then I cut a 4" hole in the cowl and box and piped in some reverse cowl induction air using dryer hose. No noticeable/measurable difference there, so I removed the hose and I got more boost Smoke is grey now- no longer blowing black. I've come a long way with these mods- from blacked out out highway @ 1/2 throttle to gray puff at WOT.

Currently exploring air box options. Just yesterday I was looking at Donaldson powercore filters (like Mr Hohn's) they sell for the 7.3 ferd and wondering if I could retrofit it into a Dodge. Sooner or later I'll probably break down and buy a Scotty Air

BTW- just missed meeting you at Tim's last week Rich =\

Quick Reply: Hrvp+f1m4+ps64=!