Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hrvp

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Blue24
My stock output pump and Jammer 5's, and Adrenaline dynoed 499.2 HP. Why on earth would you spend money on a HRVP when you can make the same HP on a SO = stock output VP44?
If you had a HRVP on you would've dynod a little more HP and torque.
The point is if he's going to spend the money on a good rebuild VP44, Blue Chip or II, he might as well get some hp out of it.

499??? Did you dyno or just add for a total?
I just installed an Adrenaline on a 99 and it didn't feel much stronger than the Comp. Those Jammers must really add the fuel! What else do you done to get 499?
OK after reading your mods I see why you wouldn't notice an improvement with a HRVP, you're allready dumping too much fuel on the fire! You neede some twins to burn that smoke.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
I've heard about some having quirks with the hot rod pumps. Is this with Industrial pumps or Sheides or ???? I've used several II pumps and they run just like stock except for a big 70-80 hp boost. Maybe the IAT or Map is bad causing the rough idle or surging! If you are paying 1500-1800 for a top of the line rebuild why not get a HR pump?
Maybe not the best way for max hp but for the average guy who just adds a box to his truck the HRVP is great and if you do add a box it will still add more hp than a SO pump with a box!
My truck dynoed 151 hp stock, 288 with the Edge Comp, and 354 with the Comp and HRVP, and 229 with Comp off.
If you dynoed 151 stock, you must've had a weak pump to begin with. A 235hp truck shouldn't be losing 85hp to the wheels. My pump was an Industrial unit. No codes for any of the sensors other than APPS (replaced), I wasn't gonna drop a couple hundred bucks on sensors on a hunch.

Bottom line, for the premium on the HRVP, SO pump from a place like PDW ($1100) and a set of sticks is the better bang for the buck. Not sure why someone would pay $1800 for a plain jane pump when there are cheaper options that spec the same.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
If you dynoed 151 stock, you must've had a weak pump to begin with. A 235hp truck shouldn't be losing 85hp to the wheels. My pump was an Industrial unit. No codes for any of the sensors other than APPS (replaced), I wasn't gonna drop a couple hundred bucks on sensors on a hunch.

Bottom line, for the premium on the HRVP, SO pump from a place like PDW ($1100) and a set of sticks is the better bang for the buck. Not sure why someone would pay $1800 for a plain jane pump when there are cheaper options that spec the same.
The hot rod flows more fuel at all RPMs the rough running units are an old myth hardly happens anymore! When mine goes out ill be getting an II unit Cody at II dynoed over 600 with the same mods in my sig only difference was the hot rod pump
Old 05-17-2008, 08:08 AM

Its not a myth. I get a funky idle and some other quirks with my hrvp from II, but they changed the electronics shortly after I had bought mine so maybe its been eliminated?
Old 05-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Chapter President

I think to each his own with the pump selection, I am very happy with my HRVP so far, no quirks at all. I think a lot depends on the upgrades. I figure go with the HRVP AND a set of sticks further down the road. I would think that would better than a stock VP with a set of sticks. It works for the plan I have. On another note, looking back now I kinda wished I had P-Pumped it
Old 05-21-2008, 11:46 PM

I like my pump.
And with the HRVP, Mach 1.5s and Comp, I can choose my power and smoke just fine
And STILL get good mpg.
The mpg will go down if you are really on the throttle more though. Normal driving has been the same.
And I have towed a bit with this pump, runs and pulls great. I like it more for an improvement then most other mods. But each mod I have has it's own advantages.