Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

HOw much HP am I wasting with a stock turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie8301
Ph4tty is making number close to that with a similar setup using a PS64. mabe he'll chime in
Charlie8301 is making numbers close to that with his sps62 (plus he's tried the 64 and 66) maybe he'll chime in
Old 05-02-2006, 07:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ph4tty
I can't believe what I'm reading from mr choose spool over cool I know- you just want to consider all your options before dropping coin.
See, that's the thing. I have plenty of spool. Perhaps too much.

Too much spool? (insert Daryl Worley song here)

Yes, too much.

In my case, the turbo is spooling as fast as it possibly can. Yet it's not making any more HP when it does. It's hard to describe, but it's a "feel" thing.

It's the same "feel" that led me to mod my HX35 to begin with. It just felt "tight". After hogging out the housing and doing some port matching, this "feel" was reduced-- but not gone. This was with an EZ and DD2s-- already the limit for an HX35.

Then I go and add another 70hp of fuel or so in the form of M4s over dd2s. Net result? Turbo is now "tighter" than ever.

I personally feel I'm giving up as much as 60 peak hp with this turbo. But the only way to recover this is to give up a lot of area under the curve, which is important as well.

I think my first step is go to a larger 14wg housing, though I suspect that will be so slight a difference as to make the effort of swapping not worth it.

In case you guys haven't figured it out by now, I tend to go slowly with the mods and makes sure something is EXACTLY what I want before I bite the bullet and write a check. So, I'm about 2 yrs behind the times, but at least I have no regrets about any mod I've done thus far....

jh
Old 05-02-2006, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well your argument for spool over cool was that during everyday driving you'll have more boost which is a good point and a valid arguement. I'll counter with how much power do you really need for everyday driving?

On my daily commute I don't see more than 20 lbs of boost. I don't need to run the truck at high hp levels unless I'm passing or merging onto the interstate. On demand I can make double the stock power, but usually don't see the need. So if you choose a larger slower spooling turbo your daily driver will be making less hp. IMO this makes it a lot easier to control the power on the street even without an adjustable box. We only had one snow storm after I started bombing and I found limited throttle makes it easy to control how much power I'm putting down. In the snow or even on wet pavement I can ride the line between putting power to the ground and wheel spin. With a fast spooling turbo the power would come on stronger with less throttle input thus making it more difficult to contol without an adjustable box.

Another thing to consider it mileage. From what I understand the fueling map will add fuel as you add boost so if you're running a lot of boost then I'd expect mileage to drop as the ecm adds more fuel to match. Look at Mr JD Dearden comments about his sps 66 running 0 boost down the highway- thats got to be great for mileage.

You guys know that I don't know much- just trying to play devils advocate for Mr Hohn