Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How much fuel for a stock turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much fuel for a stock turbo?

Hi all, I have been reading around here for quite a while now and I have a few quick questions for ya'll. First I will start with what the truck is used for, etc. I use it as a daily driver unloaded and very rarely tow something and if I do it is usually pretty light (less than 5,000lbs). I would like to have a quick truck but reliability and efficiency are top priority for sure. I wouldn't mind replacing the stock clutch at some point, but I am going to stick with the stock turbo and the stock headgasket and such just about for sure. I definitely don't want to have to push the boost past what the engine is designed for stock, it is all about reliability for me (I don't really like to take risks). I would like to be well within the limits. I don't mind watching the EGT's though.

1 - I would like to get a Smarty and some small sticks eventually. What would be a good set of injectors from F1 to compliment the smarty keeping the stock turbo? Is it even possible? What about modding the stock turbo slightly? I am still a little confused about the hybrid turbos, it uses a different housing? Could someone enlighten me?

2 - I am waffling about the air upgrade, and that is why I haven't done it yet. Seeing as my hp will stay fairly low, the BHAF seems like it would be good enough. Any other thoughts?

3 - Any other concerns/suggestions? Get Mach 7s and twins, etc. and go for a sled beast?

Have a great day and thanks for the help!

Rush
Old 02-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Banned

1) A set of mach 1.6's with a smarty will be a KILLER towing combo. You should easily be able to keep temps within reason with that combo.

2) I personally would go with a scotty 2 intake. It provides the most air and the best cooling.

3) Twins, mach 6's, dual disc, rasp fuel pump, studs, o-rings, drag comp, that oughta put ya just shy of 700rwhp.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:16 PM

You could upgrade your turbo to a hybrid turbo for not too much $$, that will help keep things a lot cooler than stock turbo. A hybrid turbo uses a bigger compresser wheel such as the most common would be the compressor housing and wheel from a hx40 turbo and fitting it onto the hx35 with some light machining which will give you the 35/40. There is also a bunch of different exhaust housing sizes to get, yours will have a 12cm housing from the factory and you can get bigger housing to flow more to help drop your egt's down, but with a bigger housing spool up can be slower, but with added fuel you probably won't know the difference, I run a wastegated 14cm housing with a 60mm compresser wheel and housing which makes it a 35/40hybrid with 14cm wg. it works quite well with my truck the way it sits right now.
Tim.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running some Don's Mach 4s with a stock turbo and Marcos ecm. No egt issues running around town. With WOT blasts the egts get toasty, but I'm not worried about it.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:16 AM

i was at 450 for a long time with a stock hx 35 with a 14 cm exhaust housing. it was a blast to drive around and pulled 30k gross without any real problems. you did need to watch the egt gauge when you hit the big hill but otherwise it was great.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:40 PM

As long as I leave my box turned off the hybrid I'm runnin with the other mods in my sig seems to do just fine as far as temps go, with the fuelin box on its a totally different story.

Bryan
Old 02-02-2006, 02:22 PM

Wow, thanks for the responses guys. I think that I would like to get the Mach 2's or 4's. I think I will be conservative and stick with the 2's. Anyone have a reccomendation for the clutch for a smarty (full power program of course), and the mach 2's? What about the BHAF? Would that be sufficient or would the scotty II be better? Thanks!
R
Old 02-02-2006, 02:33 PM

With mach 2's and the smarty program, if you tow the, 13" con ofe would be my suggestion, but peter should be the one to ask when it comes right down to it.

Bryan
Old 02-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck with whatever you go with, but I think you'll wish you had gone with the M4s. With the advancement in injector technology coupled with turbo technology it won't be long before M4s are concidered a mild injector. By the way Mach 4-6 use the same hole sizes according to Don, which leads me to believe there is more to injectors than just punching bigger holes in the tips. If I understand correctly, 4s and above have the special hardened tips, while 3 and below don't.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:57 PM

If you plan on a Smarty (and that is a smart plan), and you plan on Mach injectors, then I would go with Mach 4s and use a low setting on the Smarty to keep things cool. You should be fine doing that, but if you need more air, a 14cm exhaust housing for your HX35 is under $400. This way you have everything in place for a lot more power and can turn up the Smarty if you decide to get a bigger turbo later. BTW, you may not need to turn down the Smarty at all, just depends. Several people will be able to give some input on the Smarty, Mach 4, stock HX35 combo real soon since Smarty shipments should start today or tomorrow.

For the almost fool-proof stock turbo combo, a Smarty and Mach 1.6s are proven to work well.(get the Mach 4s!)