Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

how much boost for a 230/605 setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how much boost for a 230/605 setup?

I have a CPL2174 pump, and am thinking about installing a #8 plate to achieve 230/605? What boost amount will I need to eliminate smoke? I like the smoke output, or lack thereof, of the stock setup.

Also, how will this affect my transmission? Can a stock 47RE handle it, or should I back down to a #10? Oh, why are #10's and down not recommended by TST?

This is a daily driver work truck, so driveability and turbo life longevity are extremely important.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The stock 180 hp had about 19 psi boost.
The stock 215 hp had about 21 psi boost.

A 230 hp plate should have 24-25 psi boost to limit smoke and keep egt under control. When you order a plate, they send an elbow with a pressure bleed screw set for the plate you ordered. I recollect the elbow for my # 8 plate gave me 28 psi boost.

Do not know why TST does not recommend the # 10 for automatic trannys. Maybe it is something to do with the 300 hp rating? Piers recommends the plate.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:00 PM

I thought the numerically higher plate number gave less power/fuel than the numerically lower plate number. So for my particular CPL, I should make less than the 230/605 setup with a #10. Shouldn't I?
Old 07-27-2004, 04:22 PM

just get a #10 and put it in centered. if you want more fuel slide it forward. why they still have all the different plates is beyond me.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:40 AM

Boost question

I just installed a TST #8 fuel plate in my 97 Dodge 4X4 with Auto tranny. I also installed the AFC spring kit from TST. The results have been amazing!!!!!!

My factory boost jumped from 19 PSI to 32 PSI. My EGT's have not gotten over 1250 or so pulling HARD. Cummins says 1350 is max. TST says don't go over 1300 to be on the safe side.

It took about 2.5 hours to do it the first time. I could probably do it again in about an hour and a half or so.

My tranny seems to be working just fine with the mod's. Fuel economy is down when I'm towing (imagine that!) but I'm able to pull 70MPH + on hills that used to drag me down to 52 MPH. I tow about 9000 lbs of boat every weekend and use my truck as a daily driver. Fuel economy is the same when I'm empty and keeping my foot out of it.

I would STRONGLY recommend this mod to anyone with a 12V Cummins. The spring kit has made smoke minimal and response great. If you nail it hard, it smokes for a few seconds while the turbo spools up. In normal driving, I don't even notice it. I should have done this mod a LONG time ago. Drop me a line with any questions...

ROBIII
Old 07-28-2004, 04:06 PM

If you look at my sig you will see what I have. I have yet to see more than 1200* and that was pulling hard. I also have seen as high as 36psi boost, but that was with my foot to the floor and holding it there. I also need to kinda watch the smoke when I first get going before boost. After that there is no smoke UNLESS I stick my foot into the pump . Overall, I am very happy with the set up that I have. BTW, all the parts were in the truck when I bought it.
Tom
P.S. My CPL# is 2202 so it should be real close to yours.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by royta
I thought the numerically higher plate number gave less power/fuel than the numerically lower plate number. So for my particular CPL, I should make less than the 230/605 setup with a #10. Shouldn't I?
Just ignore the chart for ratings under the 230hp point. The ratings are assuming the plate is in the stock position. The #10 is rated at 220hp/570tq. Slide it ahead for more power. On a stock tranny thogh, don't get carried away sliding it. It fuel hard in the middle, near O/D lock-up. This where the stock plate cuts the fuel back to save the tranny. The profile is shaped a bit like a gentle U or half moon. Really feel it come on when you shift into O/D, locked up.

I love my #10.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:20 AM

Hello,

Not trying to hi-jack, but my truck all stock except a #10 in the stock location only yields 18 lbs max, evan with the wastegate disconnected, but after 10 lbs the black smoke is not noticeable, is this ok?? Waiting to slide the plate ahead untill tranny upgrades are done. Need to get my 3gsk, timming and kdp done first.

thank-you
Old 08-02-2004, 10:03 AM

Do you guys think it could be my factory air filter, my muffler, a boost leak or?? is this typical?
Old 08-04-2004, 06:20 AM

Is a new post the correct way to ask this question? Just wondering - hoping to find out what boost leval my truck should have.

anyone there?? should I call piers (where I bought the plate)??
Old 08-06-2004, 10:08 AM

please - thank-you
Old 08-06-2004, 11:35 AM

It seems to me, that if your wastegate was disconnected, it would make ridiculous boost. To the point of damaging the turbo. So, you more than likely have a boost leak, either caused by the wastegate not functioning properly, or a leak somewhere else.

If there is a big deal with hijacking threads, I'm not sure why. It allows others to read the entire thread and see more info, because there are less threads to read. knowwhatimean?
Old 08-06-2004, 11:59 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sharpmachine: I would have to say that 18 psi is no where near enough boost. If you are not getting any smoke, you have a lack of fuel for some reason. Is your housing full forward? When I had nothing but a #6 plate I was hitting 32 psi with no wastegate (now I get 46 psi!! ) Assuming nothing is mechanically wrong, I would have to say your AFC is too far back (and your star wheel).
Old 08-06-2004, 12:08 PM

I'm not a pro at this yet, but here's my theory... You've got the smallest pump, coupled with a factory airbox & exhaust, you're not able to push enough fuel and air to make alot of boost, methinks.....
Old 08-06-2004, 12:49 PM

My truck doesn't have the largest pump either, but I still can see 36psi with a #8 plate and stock air box. Even at 36psi, I have NEVER seen the restriction gauge move at all. I have since put a BHAF on since mine had a K&N drop in installed. As for your tranny, just start saving your pennies..................You will need them. When you get ready for a tranny, call all the "big 4" and discuss with them what you want out of your truck. There is a HUGE price difference.
Tom

Quick Reply: how much boost for a 230/605 setup?