Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How is the mapping range determined on a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is the mapping range determined on a turbo

How do you know if your BOMBING project will exceed the mapping range on your turbo. My truck has the HX35 with I believe a 12cm housing, I have not put my ATS 20% injectors in yet and my egt's are staying fairly low right now. Can my turbo handle these injectors? And not to ignorant but what is mapping range? Thanks for any input.
Old 11-12-2002, 10:32 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:How is the mapping range determined on a turbo

The mapping range is an area on the curve of the turbo for flow vs compression ratio. Most of the mapping is determining the output of the turbocharger compressor side not exhaust feeding it.

EGT control is a mixture of air charge density and, the ability to flow exhaust gases. Its a balance of boost, fuel and turbo exhaust housing size to control the compressor side.

If you are trying to flow too little air at High boost the turbo will go into surge where the speed of the turbo will start to increase without any change in flow. This may or may not cause a failure due to overspeed of the turbo.

Other areas of the curve are affected by temperature of the charge air.. If the temperature of the inlet to the turbo is low the efficiency of the turbocharger goes up due to the amount of the mass flow increase, basically denser air compressed, more air down the pipe. This is where the Scotty air system makes gains over any underhood air system. The turbo is more efficient and you can produce more dense air charge, NOT more boost, but denser air for combustion.

I have attached a curve from a Grand National T-Type website. They have alot of great info on turbocharging theory and application in their technical sections.

I hope this helps a bit.. I am by no means a turbo expert..LOL

J-eh
Old 11-12-2002, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:How is the mapping range determined on a turbo

Most Dodge drivers do not have to worry about reading maps. Mostly those of us that want to build our OWN set of twins, or something exotic will worry about maps. Unless you know what your looking at, the maps are prettymuch useless. <br><br>Andrew