Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How to make my Cummins sound like a dump truck ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:How to make my Cummins sound like a dump truck ?

BHAF = big honkin air filter

for more info on what they look like, perfomance, and where to get them, simply do a search on this forum. just type in BHAF and you will find all you need. also, so a search on silencer ring. another wistle enhancer.

this subject has been beaten to death, so I assure you that you will find all you need. if you cant find what you need, then ask us, and we will fill you in.

good luck
phillip
Old 12-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

[quote author=STAT 007 link=board=7;threadid=24065;start=0#msg228342 date=1072218063]
Forgive my ignorance because I'm new to this guys. But I'd love to increase the whistle-like ramping tone sound of [what I assume is] the Turbo Charger on my 2001 2500 SLT. About how much do these mods cost and how hard are they to do yourself (I'm great at following directions but just don't know all the terminology yet)?

Also, what does BHAF stand for? Thanks!
[/quote]
Here is the definitive thread on removing the silencer ring. This is the key to more turbo whine.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:32 PM

Remove the silencer ring out of the turbo, go straight pipe turbo to tail 4", runs you about $400-500 depending on what you go with.

BHAF = Big Honking Air Filter. Typically used to refered to a Fleetguard or equivalent, can be used to refered to numerous other aftermarket filters, including aFe, and K&N. Number of topics posted on which way to go on that one.

Matt
Old 12-23-2003, 07:27 PM

Thanks, Palmetto_Kid. BTW, I'm another Phil but in College Station, TX instead of Sweeny.

I'll do some searching and reading on the air filter stuff when I get a chance (hopefully tonight). Meanwhile, in my first real day of owning this truck, I've removed the silencer ring and retainer per the instructions I've read on this board. And I must say, the increase in TC whine is incredible. Sounds like a jet. Man, I love this engine!
Old 12-23-2003, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you'll find my posts about the BHAF in your search.

If not, I have pics of it with the heat shield and prefilter in my album.
Page 20 of member photos.
Somewhere, back around July or so, I had a detailed post with pics concerning my installation.

phox
Old 12-24-2003, 02:19 AM
Administrator

My sons truck has an AFE with the hole cut for the Scotty and you talk about turbo whine, it is too much. If you want turbo whine, do that.
Old 12-24-2003, 02:31 AM

Heres the Installation instructions for Phox's BHAF.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=16737

Also STAT, I noticed you refered the "Turbo Charger" as "TC"; just a little advice is don't get this confused with "Torque Converter" or also referred to as "TC" on this site. Not sure if that helps but I just dont want you to get confused! Most people just refer the turbo charger as a "turbo". Hope this helps.

Oh and incase your wondering what someo ther abreviations are you can check this out or just ask ;D

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...p;onlynewfaq=1
Old 12-24-2003, 02:55 AM

[quote author=Dieseldude4x4 link=board=7;threadid=24065;start=15#msg228567 date=1072253972]
My sons truck has an AFE with the hole cut for the Scotty and you talk about turbo whine, it is too much. If you want turbo whine, do that.
[/quote]
HAHA! So does he actually have the Scotty Air II (or Ram Air if it's a gen 3) or does he just somehow have an AFE filter by itself?

Again, sorry for my mistakes but I'm brand new at this, eager to learn, and appreciate your kind corrections. Thanks so much, guys!

P.S.-I can't wait to get my new truck washed, waxed, and detailed and then take some pics and post them. This thing is a BEAST with all the powder coated black steel on it (replacement front and rear bumpers plus full-length running boards)! ;D
Old 12-24-2003, 02:58 AM

[quote author=STAT 007 link=board=7;threadid=24065;start=15#msg228574 date=1072256110]
Again, sorry for my mistakes but I'm brand new at this, eager to learn, and appreciate your kind corrections. Thanks so much, guys!
[/quote]

Hey don't be sorry, I am just passing on the knowledge that I learned. It kinda makes me feel important!!! Believe me, I was a LOT worse, I just wanted to make sure you didn't get confused. Your gonna love your truck and you will probably never go back to a gas truck again...I know I won't ;D
Old 12-27-2003, 09:51 AM

Theres only one way to truly sound like a big rig...
Old 12-27-2003, 01:16 PM
Chapter President

Thumbs up

Evildiesel: Sweet set up! Thats what I am looking for, what did it cost you and were did you get it? Thanks Dog
Old 12-28-2003, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by 02DSLDOG
Evildiesel: Sweet set up! Thats what I am looking for, what did it cost you and were did you get it? Thanks Dog
That's looks like a lot of $$$ spent there on Chrome. I've got $300 in my setup, and about 5 hours in fabrication/installation. I'll post pics tomorrow, to late now.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:58 PM

Question

ok guys im new to this site but i have been reading it for about an hour so i decided to join. quick question what is the silencer ring where is it and how do i remove it on a 2001 ram ctd
Old 12-28-2003, 05:57 PM
Chapter President

Boyer: Type in "silencer ring" in the search and you will have more info on it than you need!
Basically all it does is let you hear your turbo sing! Take your air intake hose off of youre turbo and look in the hole, you will see a "snap ring" around the outside dia., pull it out and the cup shaped piece will fall out, hook you hose back up and you are in buisness!

P.S. Welcome to DTR!
Old 12-29-2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by 02DSLDOG
Got all the parts from www.Berubes.com, gave them a call, told them what I was doing, and gave them a few measurements. They did the rest. Cost me about 700 in chrome parts (wish I had gotten alumized or cheaper and just hi-heat coated it now that some of it is rusting). I plan to coat the rust with Por-15 and then box it in with more stainless steel and the mount my new rolltop cover behind that so that only the stacks themselves stick out. Stacks are one of the best investments you can make IMO.

Quick Reply: How to make my Cummins sound like a dump truck ?