Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How to Lower Egt's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You undoubtedly will not have to let off as soon if you install a freer flowing intake and exhaust system, but bottom line is that a stock turbo, HX 35 in your case, will only push so much air. Look on HTT's website, you can upgrade your compressor housing and pinwheel up to say 60mm for less than four bills. They claim that setup is good for 400 HP.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing exhaust egt's

True Magnaflow 4" exhaust all the way through.

How much will timing reduce the EGT's?

What should I get it adjusted to?
Old 06-22-2007, 05:06 PM

This is a bad month to buy a hybrid turbo, so I'm thinking I might be able to swing timing. I have a good diesel shop in town, I will ask If they time it using the indicator method first though. I really don't want to blow a HG, so how much would 15.5* lower my EGT's?

Will 15.5* be freindly to my HG?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:40 PM

turbo

Called HTT today, they said the hybrid would only decrease my EGT's by 50*. The HTB2 for 1600 bucks will lower my egt's by 200* the fella said, but 1600 is out of my league right now. All I did was add a 3k gsk and a #10 plate. I thought this was a mild upgrade in power. The truck already has a 4" exhaust. Was this guy just trying to sell me something?? What turbo is reccommended? Will a hybrid work?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:35 PM

Could use some advice on turbos, will the hybrid work? How much will timing reduce EGT's?
Old 06-27-2007, 08:40 PM

Beuhler................Beuhler.................... Beuhler............????

Another question on the turbo, I have a 4" exhaust but noticed there is a neck down to 3" right after the turbo. What are my options for getting rid of that small length of 3" pipe?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned

you will need a turbo eventually, so dont waste your money on a hybrid unless thats all the moding you have planed. why not slide the plate back until you're ready for a turbo. then with the turbo you'll get rid of that 3" but you'll have to get a hx40 downpipe.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
siebertl:

I ran a Holset HX-40/16 on my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve for over three years with absolutely no problems whatsoever. That turbo gave me 27 more rear wheel H.P. than the stock HX-35/12 did. It also lowered my EGTS's by about 150 degrees over the HX-35/12. The Holset HX-40/16 comes with a 4" downpipe as the other Members already pointed out. That is one advantage of installing it over the stock HX-35/12.

The Holset HX-40/16 Turbos are much cheaper than some of the newer Schwitzer Hybrids and as long as you keep the boost on them down to about 38-40lbs. they will give you very good service. I would suggest contacting some of our "Banner Advertisers" at the top of the Forums Page if you are interested in getting a turbo such as the HX-40/16.

Good luck to you.

---------
John_P
Old 06-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned

wouldn't the megamouth downpipe get rid of that 3in
Old 06-27-2007, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I simply cannot justify another thousand dollars for a turbo at this point. I don't plan on going any bigger w/ the power upgrades just like I don't plan on having any more kids. The Megamouth Elbow is only 200$. Is the answer to my problems only 200$ away???
Old 06-27-2007, 11:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe you DO have a cat in your exhaust system, at least if it's still stock. To my knowledge all 2nd-gen 12-valve CTDs had a cat as standard emissions equipment. The 98.5 24-valve CDT was the first not equipped with a cat. As to lowering EGTs, from my experience, replacing the stock exhaust with a full 4-inch system made a reduction of about 100 or more degrees and enabled the turbo to spool-up much quicker as well as produce more boost (i.e., more power) w/o as much heat as before. If you really do have a full 4-inch system and can't afford much else right now I'd recommend moving the plate back a little so it's not fueling quite as much. It won't make a big difference in power but can help tame EGTs somewhat until you can get a bigger/better turbo.

Steve
Old 06-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rockyhud
Unless I'm mistaken, I believe you DO have a cat in your exhaust system, at least if it's still stock. To my knowledge all 2nd-gen 12-valve CTDs had a cat as standard emissions equipment. The 98.5 24-valve CDT was the first not equipped with a cat. As to lowering EGTs, from my experience, replacing the stock exhaust with a full 4-inch system made a reduction of about 100 or more degrees and enabled the turbo to spool-up much quicker as well as produce more boost (i.e., more power) w/o as much heat as before. If you really do have a full 4-inch system and can't afford much else right now I'd recommend moving the plate back a little so it's not fueling quite as much. It won't make a big difference in power but can help tame EGTs somewhat until you can get a bigger/better turbo.

Steve
he already has a 4" magnaflow
Old 06-28-2007, 09:50 AM

yep already have the exhaust. How much will the elbow help? I've read everything I can find about it, does anyone have actual data with EGT's and the elbow w/ a similar set up?
Old 06-28-2007, 03:43 PM

Talked w/ the guy at haisley machine, he suggested that the elbow, or the thing that they made similar did not reduce egt's or increase hp much at all. He, like all others, suggested turbo. However, he did mention I block off the wastegate compleatly. I did and viola, it does keep my egt's down about 200* when I'm into it. Now starts the discussion on overtaxing the hx 35. He said problems occure when you rapidly decelerate while boost pressures are up. I don't know exactly what I'm getting out of it yet cause my guage peaks at 30 psi. I will be swapping that out soon. I also notice there is very little change until I get into it, and it does make a big difference. Responsiveness, acceleration, egt's, all and all it feel bigger and better. Timing will come soon and then that's it for me....................riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Banned

uhh no. this just gives you reason to go for more mods.

Quick Reply: How to Lower Egt's?