Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How long has your Vp lasted since you tapped it

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 01:40 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4 vehicles 1-99 2-2001 1-2002 in montana all have been tapped since day 1 the three early trucks all had pumps replaced at 15k-25k miles the 02 still has its pump.

all have been upgraded with either FASS, or helper pumps all have fuel pressure gauges and in bed tanks all are closing in on 150k-200k miles without any further vp44 issues. the 02 HO has mach4 injectors the 01 trucks have smaller injectors but are still bombed pretty heavily.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AggiePhil
I'm sorry but this thread is freaking SCARY.

Why?

dan
Old 12-28-2005, 01:51 PM

Cause it makes me not ever want to get a Comp and tap the wire.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:06 PM

just plan on getting pusher pump and a hot rod vp44 in your near future...another 60-100 hp cant hurt anyway right?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Big Deezul
just plan on getting pusher pump and a hot rod vp44 in your near future...another 60-100 hp cant hurt anyway right?

Exactly, I found out there was a "hot Rod" Vp about 12 hours after I replaced mine.
Figures.

Also as far as the "tap" goes there are really only a couple of ways to do it correctly. Buy a pump cover so your not piercing the pump wire or solder in a conection on the pump wire. Those scotch locks they send with the pump are fine for about 10k miles then they start to vibrate around and can accually cut the pump wire. When I removed my old VP there was about four strands left still connected, that couldnt be good talk about resistance... Coupled with the lift pump craping out that probably added to my VP failuer.

dan
Old 12-28-2005, 02:36 PM

yip...I made the mistake of replacing my original with a regular reman and it failed in less then 2k miles. HR is in now wo0t!! big difference in power too!

I also use the blue chip pump cover on mine..very easy install
Old 12-28-2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by zukgod1
Also as far as the "tap" goes there are really only a couple of ways to do it correctly. Buy a pump cover so your not piercing the pump wire...
What does this do? A pump cover?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:44 PM

it uses a sharp stud to pierce the pumps insides and makes a great connection
Old 12-28-2005, 03:01 PM

It pierces the pumps??? I guess I can't visualize how a pump cover has anything to do with making electrical connections with pump wires. Anybody have a picture?
Old 12-28-2005, 03:07 PM

163K on the truck.. 133K tapped... 2nd lift pump.. Stock VP.... No problems...
Old 12-28-2005, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by AggiePhil
It pierces the pumps??? I guess I can't visualize how a pump cover has anything to do with making electrical connections with pump wires. Anybody have a picture?
well since the cover, covers the electrical board it should make sense that pushing a screw down into it could make the connection. sorry no pic as it is all covered up by the throttle assy
Old 12-28-2005, 04:06 PM

This is the main reason i dont want a 24 valve... If you keep one long enough; its practically gauranteed you will lose a VP at one time or another. A friend has an 01 with close to 100k miles on it without ever replacing his, with no problems, and he has an EZ, and Bully Dog injectors, and no gauges , but i fear he will be replacing it eventually. It is a good running truck though . I would own a 24 valve, but im in school right now, and could not afford to be worrying about lift/Injection pumps. Maybe when i get a good job, and have the $ to fix it if it dies. If i did ever have a 24v and the VP died; i would definatley put a hotrod on it. How good do the hot rod pumps last?

Eric
Old 12-28-2005, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zukgod1
you'll get no agruments from me on the VP being a piece of crap. I'm just pointing out my results.
How can you "Prove" your failures had nothing to do with fuel flow or lack of?

I said nothing about the quality of fuel only that the lack of fuel will allow them to overheat and just plain starve a already pushed pump.

(edit) I didnt mean for that to sound like a chalange, just curious how you are so sure it wasnt a fuel or lack of related failuer.

dan

Both pumps the wire was soldered and the ground was on the battery so I am confident the connections were good.
First pump~ carter pusher + stock LP @21-17psi + full -6 (3/8") lines and lube every tank of its life = 15 seconds of 5x5
Second pump~ New 027 pump went in with the FASS system and I ran it for aprox 2-3k as per Harrys instructions at PDR in case of a fault from new, tapped the wire and all was ok for another 5k. Sent the comp in for a upgrade to drag and on the third 5x5 pull, good night. Both pumps had plenty of supply via big lines and lube additives so for those that want to belive it makes a difference so be it. For me it made no difference. Both failures there was no warning! I did a 5x5 pull/ lifted and the truck shut off, no brakes/PS nothing, engine dead!!! One time I was at 190kms (115mph) Both times also there were no codes set. There is probably over 1000 posts of VPs going bad and most happened without the aid of a wire tap box so..... If you have a high mile VP count your blessings. I hope I have better luck with my P-pump
Old 12-28-2005, 04:40 PM

Will I have better life if I remove the wire that tappes into the pump?? What kinda difference is there with or without the wire being tapped on a 01 Comp?
Old 12-28-2005, 05:08 PM

I just taped my pump last weekend, I almost didn't read this thread becouse I new there wasn't going to be much good news in it, but so far so good. I did take some pics of my pump cover though.

Randy

Quick Reply: How long has your Vp lasted since you tapped it