Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

How can I tell...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile How can I tell...?

Hi guys
I just bought my first dodge ... I seem very happy with my purchase ... a super clean 1996 2wd extened cab ... The truck is very clean ... The paint on the engine is like brand new ... and had an amsoil filer system on the left and what a guy on here said was a relocated fuel filter .
The truck feels like it has a shift kit and it has a mag-hy-tech deep sump pan on the trans .
My question is that the truck has gauges pyro , trans and boost ... the truck looks like grand pop owned it ... I fould the truck on a lot ...I am the last guy to buy something off a used car lot ... but when I see all the stuff this truck had I was very intrested in driving it ...
The car lot guys had no idea what all the aftermarket stuff was ...it's just a unit to them .
I was wondering , how would I tell if there was any performance stuff done to the motor ... it dose have a 3 1/2 of 4" exhaust , but as far as the motor , it looks like it just rolled off the factory show room ... the dark gray , you can tell the deal did not even have really detail the engine .
The rest of the truck is nice too , it walks away from my powerstroke ...LOL
Thanks guys
Greg
Old 10-12-2005, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the top of the fuel pump there is a 'thing' called the AFC plate. There are four bolts that hold it on. Two of the bolts hold the shut-down solenoid on and there are two bolts on the other side of it (when you see it you will understand). The front bolt on the right side is the "break-away" (anti-tamper) bolt. If it is there, chances are it is at stock levels. If it is missing and another bolt was put in its place, then it has been "upgraded". Are there any guages? Like pyrometer, boost or even tranny temp? That would be another sign of bombing. If there are no guages, you should really get them.
Tom