Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hotrod VP44

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotrod VP44

Does the HRVP44 make it's extra power with fuel volume or higher pressure and a better burn ( like the CR trucks ) ?
Old 05-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Banned

its done more with the timing/programming thats built into the pumps.

hrvp44 makes anywhere from 60-80hp more than an SO pump when not using a wire tap box, but when you add the box both pumps make the same peak power
Old 05-30-2008, 12:54 PM

Yup they'll make more power without electronics but the same with them. Redundant if you ask me, put your money towards a real good set of injectors.

Brett
Old 05-30-2008, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
waste of money i would get a so pump most that get the hrvp want to switch back to a s.o.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by rollincoal02
its done more with the timing/programming thats built into the pumps.

hrvp44 makes anywhere from 60-80hp more than an SO pump when not using a wire tap box, but when you add the box both pumps make the same peak power

BS the HRVP44 will make more power with or without the box. I have both and they work well together. You can tell a differance when you turn the box on and go up thru each level. For comparision my truck with HR pump and comp will outrun a SO pump with comp!
Old 05-31-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lurch519
Does the HRVP44 make it's extra power with fuel volume or higher pressure and a better burn ( like the CR trucks ) ?

volumn,pressure and timing
Old 05-31-2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
BS the HRVP44 will make more power with or without the box. I have both and they work well together. You can tell a differance when you turn the box on and go up thru each level. For comparision my truck with HR pump and comp will outrun a SO pump with comp!
Wana try and out run my truck with a SO and Comp?

Hate to say it friend but your wrong, Consistent dyno testing on the same dyno has proven time and time again , for bigger numbers SO is the way to go. Atleast until the monster proves it's self!
Old 05-31-2008, 10:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Hot Rod VP's are a frankenstein contraption that mix parts from the SO and HO vp44. If I recall, the SO has larger cavity for fuel than the HO.

Hot Rod VP's also have built in/programmed extra timing.

I can't say for sure which pump is better, just that higher HP numbers have been made with a SO pump.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by mysterync
Wana try and out run my truck with a SO and Comp?

Hate to say it friend but your wrong, Consistent dyno testing on the same dyno has proven time and time again , for bigger numbers SO is the way to go. Atleast until the monster proves it's self!
Listen to what I said, a stock truck with an SO pump and a box will not make the hp that a stock truck with a HR pump and the same box will make!
I also have dyno #'s to prove this.
Maybe for all out hp its not as good but I can't see why not since it puts out more fuel.

All he has listed for his truck is an EZ, if he installs a HR pump it will add more HP and torque than his EZ does.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:34 AM

And increase to a higher timing level than considered safe?
The HRVP44 is based on a HO pump with electronics built into it. IT DOES NOT FLOW MORE FUEL....if companys have convinced folks of that im sorry, its a sales pitch. You will not make more power with a HO or HRVP44 after a set of say 150's! 90% of folks go on to add injectors, after injectors there useless. The only HRVP44 thats even worth mentioning is schieds
Old 06-01-2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by mysterync
And increase to a higher timing level than considered safe?
The HRVP44 is based on a HO pump with electronics built into it. IT DOES NOT FLOW MORE FUEL....if companys have convinced folks of that im sorry, its a sales pitch. You will not make more power with a HO or HRVP44 after a set of say 150's! 90% of folks go on to add injectors, after injectors there useless. The only HRVP44 thats even worth mentioning is schieds

I guess I was lied to then, I was told it was an SO pumps volume with HO pressure and timing!
I do know it adds a good kick with an EZ or Comp or Adrenaline. It does work good with lower hp injectors also. Maybe not 100+ hp injectors, never ran them.
I'd say 99% who own diesels don't add injectors! heck, or anything else.

Bottem line is Lurch510 will feel an extra 75-80 hp increase over his EZ.

BY the way I run an II SHOVP44 and know how it works do you? or are you just repeating something you heard?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:25 PM

If it were me I would go with an SO pump and take the extra $700 and buy a good set of injectors with that money. Since injectors are easily exchangable, what if someone wants to put their truck back to stock, Its alot easier to switch out injectors and get back close to what you paid for them then doing a pump swap and not even getting back half of what you paid for the hot rod pump new.

Brett
Old 06-01-2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
I guess I was lied to then, I was told it was an SO pumps volume with HO pressure and timing!
I do know it adds a good kick with an EZ or Comp or Adrenaline. It does work good with lower hp injectors also. Maybe not 100+ hp injectors, never ran them.
I'd say 99% who own diesels don't add injectors! heck, or anything else.

Bottem line is Lurch510 will feel an extra 75-80 hp increase over his EZ.

BY the way I run an II SHOVP44 and know how it works do you? or are you just repeating something you heard?
He's talking about max power. You are correct that a guy that's not looking for 600+ hp will make good gains with the hot rod pump. I've got one like yours from II and hit 492 hp before I even tapped the pump wire. Mysterync knows that you don't need a hybrid pump to make big power, but we all have different goals and that often gets overlooked in performance discussions. Brett has made some valid points also.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:50 AM

I was not looking for max HP. I was looking for the most efficient use of the fuel I put into the motor. My plans are to get a set of mild injectors and a Smarty, intake, exhaust, and probably upgrade the turbo. The question was to learn what would be the best pump to keep for a spare and if the HRVP44 pumped up the pressure. I'm looking for experience and reccomendations here 'cause I'm definatley on the low end of the learning curve here.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Lurch519
I was not looking for max HP. I was looking for the most efficient use of the fuel I put into the motor. My plans are to get a set of mild injectors and a Smarty, intake, exhaust, and probably upgrade the turbo. The question was to learn what would be the best pump to keep for a spare and if the HRVP44 pumped up the pressure. I'm looking for experience and reccomendations here 'cause I'm definatley on the low end of the learning curve here.

I wouldn't run out and buy a HR pump just for the gain, but if your stock pump went bad I'd buy the HR pump!
I was also told the HR pumps are rebuilt better?!? better pump than the average $1000 rebuilds.

Quick Reply: Hotrod VP44