Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

hotrod vp or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotrod vp or not

My nephew has a 01 auto he bought this winter with the vp going out of it. What is the most cost effecient way to go, a hotrod vp or a standard vp and put a box and injectors in it. With the hotrod vp do you still have to have a boost fooler? What are rebuilt vp's going for? He's looking for around 350 hp. Turbo is a going to be a 35-40 hybrid and he already has a 4 inch exhaust on it. Tranny is coming this spring. I was pushing for the hotrod vp but I think it would be more cost effecient to use a standard vp with a good used edge comp. and some 80 hp injectors. What do ya think? Thanks Gary
Old 02-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Muted User

I am not certain on this, but I believe that the Hotrod VP44 does not do anything for you but ALLOW more total fuel. So until you have some really big injectors, competition box etc. it does not help much. Again, not sure about this.

Those who know for sure please chime it. I too will probably be changing the VP real soon...

Kevin
Old 02-05-2005, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My vote is for the Comp and some small injectors with a reg VP. I think the HR VP will only help if your gonna run some serious fuel. I think theres a brand new HR VP for sale in the classifides if you want to go that way.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:33 AM

I was pushing him toward the hr vp until I got to thinking he was still going to need a box to fool the computer with. We would like to do it without tapping the the wire but a comp might be the way to go and then tap the wire if need be. I shooting for dd2's as I had a set and they worked real good with the ez box. What are the rebuilt vp's selling for these days. Thanks Gary
Old 02-07-2005, 03:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember hearing the HR VP doent last real long.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:33 PM

I think that www.cumminsstuff.com had injection pumps for quite a little cheaper. Give them a call.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by 95ram
I remember hearing the HR VP doent last real long.
Wasn't HeberRam/KolaRam on TDR able to run his for over 55k? I'm not doubting that flowing more fuel may cause more wear, but I wasn't able to find anyone on DTR/TDR reporting short HR VP lives. Who are you citing?

brnaodn.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:32 AM

For what it is worth

I run a HotRod VP44 that I purchased from Piers and it really does make a difference. I ran a Raptor (EZ) for about 60,000 miles until my OEM VP took a dump. The HR VP was like night and day. The transmission only lasted 10,000 miles under the new VP's assault. Smoke and power are both up a good deal and EGt's are still under control. I will be adding larger injectors now that my Goerend Brothers transmission is in. Anyway, from what I gathered some of the HRVP early deaths were do to the guys who used them stacking crazy combos etc. Not sure there have been any problems with guys like me running them. If mine goes again I will install another HR pump because the difference is YAHOOOOO!
See Ya
Old 02-08-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
joefarmer, I cant remember where I read it, but it was a while ago that I read some guys were having problems with the HR VP's. There weren't a lot but there were a few.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by joefarmer
Wasn't HeberRam/KolaRam on TDR able to run his for over 55k? I'm not doubting that flowing more fuel may cause more wear, but I wasn't able to find anyone on DTR/TDR reporting short HR VP lives. Who are you citing?

brnaodn.

Hey joefarmer,
While I was making my decisions on what power levels I wanted to reach I talked to Piers many times on the HR VP and he shyed me away from one. He told me they were having "some" reliability issuses with them. You can decide what some means? However he also told me there has been "some" issues with reg rebuilds also. That said, that was then this is now so perhaps they have found a rebuilder with a higher success rate? Also he never really said what was causing the failures? Perhaps it was just as simple as the people that were buying them were all max HP guys with multiple boxes and the failures were just electronic? I dont want to say ones no good or ones better, just commenting on what he told me at the time.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:01 PM

I have no experience with any of these pumps, but it seemed that from other posts the hrvp has had electronic trouble, the pump from Bluechip diesel seems like a good pump for added power and reliability because of internal mods and electronic modification