Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

hot rod vs HO vs SO

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hot rod vs HO vs SO

Alright, what makes the HR pump, a HR pump? is it electrical or mechanical? Does it have a bigger plunger in it than the HO's and SO's. i know the so plungers are bigger than the ho's, but never quite understood what made the HR pump a HR pump.

And im fixing to switch my HO pump to a SO. id like to get some dyno numbers before and after. Anybody know of a dyno close to Branson, Missouri?
Old 10-15-2006, 02:45 PM

I am no pump expert by any means....

I am pretty sure you take the delivery valve/barrel section off of the SO pump and install it into an HO pump.

Someone tell me if I am wrong here.....
Old 10-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Registered

now what part of the HO pump makes it better with injectors, but not very good with boxes???

Does the HR pump give you the performance of the HO pump on injectors, and the performance of the SO pump on boxes???
Old 10-15-2006, 03:05 PM

The HRVP44 works great with boxes...who ever said it didnt is misinformed.

Yes, the Hot Rod pump will give you performance over stock with nothing else installed.
The benefits for those with an SO pump will be increased bottom end fueling with the same benefits up top(absolute fuel volume).
For those with an HO will also see some increased low end fueling but will enjoy the benefits of the SO pump up top...

On another note. I dont think its possible to swap in an SO pump on an HO truck.
I do know that you can install an HO pump on a SO truck without issue though (although if you are going for max hp this will hurt you).

HRVP44's are model specific also.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
The HRVP44 works great with boxes...who ever said it didnt is misinformed.

Yes, the Hot Rod pump will give you performance over stock with nothing else installed.
The benefits for those with an SO pump will be increased bottom end fueling with the same benefits up top(absolute fuel volume).
For those with an HO will also see some increased low end fueling but will enjoy the benefits of the SO pump up top...

On another note. I dont think its possible to swap in an SO pump on an HO truck.
I do know that you can install an HO pump on a SO truck without issue though (although if you are going for max hp this will hurt you).

HRVP44's are model specific also.
I never said the HRVP 44 dosnt work great with boxes. i said the HO pump dosnt.

And yes, ive done my homework, and there is no reason it shouldnt work (stupid"er" things have happened) The SO pump is on dads truck, so im swapping him ecm's also

ill post my findings when i getter done

Now, back to my original question. What the heck makes the HR pump a HR pump?
Old 10-15-2006, 04:35 PM

Well if your swapping ecm's then that solves that issue.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I've been told the HRVP has the same limitations on injectors. What I mean is if you have a 200hp injector you're only going to see about 180hp. I have also talked with many, and when I say many I mean just about ever injection pump shop I could find, and all but a few told me I could put an so pump on an ho without switching ecms and be just fine. A large majority of these shops had done it. Can you guess which ones told me it wouldn't work.

Trending Topics

Old 10-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Registered

I've had them tell me that with a big tap box, big injectors and a smarty that the SO will do as much as a hrvp. so I decided to save some $$ and take dad's. I was just wondering what makes a hrvp a hrvp. If it's just a preloaded chip or what?
Old 10-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Banned

The HRVP is something I haven't tried yet myself. I've been waiting for mine to puke so I could justify spending the money - hard to fix it when it ain't broke. II uses fedex electronics which are suppose to be much better than the stockers. Pourin is right in that they use HO and SO parts to combine the best of both worlds. There's probably a little more to it but that's the secret that II keeps.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:31 PM

I am thinking about trying this as well. I lost my SO pump this week and installed a HO to get me by until I build or buy another SO or possibly a HRVP. I have heard as well that a HRVP will not make any more HP than a SO with all the goodies on it. True??
Old 10-15-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
The SO pump is on dads truck, so im swapping him ecm's also
try it without swaping ecm's first. There are a few who have run SO pump's on HO motors. I plane on doing this on mine.

I don't think the ecm's are programed diff. How does one Smarty work on all model years weather it be SO or HO??? Bob told me ecm should not need to be changed.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Registered

I had my ecm go bad once, and I put dads on trying to trouble shoot, and my truck would not run right . I even tried one off a 01.5 ho and it wouldnt even start. they seem to be pretty picky what you put them on, but it wouldn't hurt to try with stock ecm's, but I bet I have to change them to get both trucks up and running. as far as the smarty goes, it has several programs in it
Old 10-15-2006, 08:03 PM

Mr. Wagner works with these ecm's all day and he told me there is no need to switch it. I asked this befor and almost nobody wants to talk about it. If you call a vendor that sells the HRVP and ask, they will say it wont run. there are some people that have done it and it does run just fine. there is a guy by me who put an HO pump on and SO and it worked great. 423hp and over 1,100Lbs-Tq.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by redstreak
II uses fedex electronics which are suppose to be much better than the stockers.
They've upgraded electronics again and no longer use the fed ex electronics. They upgraded right after I got mine of course
Old 10-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Banned

yes i would also like to know what makes a HR a HR...and can anyone tell me if II warranties a tapped HRVP?

Quick Reply: hot rod vs HO vs SO