Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

hot rod or regular vp-44???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hot rod or regular vp-44???

i'm fearing that i'm gonna need a new injection pump and i've heard people talking about a "hot rod" vp-44, is this the same as the regular ip or what, can someone explain this to me, and also where is a good place to get either/or.

thanks
Old 06-04-2006, 07:01 PM

andrew

I dont have a answer for you. What I do know is that I've read alot of threads on the same issue and out of all the veteran dtr members out there, I have never seen any technical info explaining the difference between the hrvp and a stock vp.
I hope someone out there can give us a in depth breakdown of the innerworkings of the pump and not just the ole

1. it puts out more power
2. its for high hp applications ( duh )
3. it just lopes alot more at idle
4. and the favorite, It delivers more fuel
( no way, a hot rod pump )

Thanks Eric
Old 06-04-2006, 07:32 PM

I had a new pump put on my truck out at Mass Diesel. I talked to Scott at length about the difference between the two. He has installed plenty of pumps and he says the most power that he's seen on a Dyno is about 20 hp in favor of the HR pump. He also explained that the HR pumps (that he carries) has a 6 month warranty and the oem style pump has a 1 yr warranty. For that reason and the fact that I have a truck that actually has to work for a living I went for the oem style pump. Now when I got the truck back it did run alot better then it did with the old pump. I guess it should the old one was dying. I think that may be the reason that some guys think that the HR pump feels so much stronger. I have no experience with the HR pumps it's just food for thought. By the way I put around 10 thou on my truck a month and the oem pump is working great. The 1st pump went 140,000 miles. I hope this pump lasts as long. It's just about 1/2 way there.
Good luck,
Topper
Old 06-04-2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Topper
I had a new pump put on my truck out at Mass Diesel. I talked to Scott at length about the difference between the two. He has installed plenty of pumps and he says the most power that he's seen on a Dyno is about 20 hp in favor of the HR pump. He also explained that the HR pumps (that he carries) has a 6 month warranty and the oem style pump has a 1 yr warranty. For that reason and the fact that I have a truck that actually has to work for a living I went for the oem style pump. Now when I got the truck back it did run alot better then it did with the old pump. I guess it should the old one was dying. I think that may be the reason that some guys think that the HR pump feels so much stronger. I have no experience with the HR pumps it's just food for thought. By the way I put around 10 thou on my truck a month and the oem pump is working great. The 1st pump went 140,000 miles. I hope this pump lasts as long. It's just about 1/2 way there.
Good luck,
Topper

the hp gains are usually around 60...some have seen as much as 90! The low end kick in the panys is where you really feel it.

call doug at PDW he has sold a ton of the HR pumps to board members
Old 06-04-2006, 07:51 PM

Big Deezul

Originally Posted by Big Deezul
the hp gains are usually around 60...some have seen as much as 90! The low end kick in the panys is where you really feel it.

call doug at PDW he has sold a ton of the HR pumps to board members
I hear what your saying, but how do explain the results of the dyno by Mass diesel?
Old 06-04-2006, 08:08 PM

I have talked to Doug. I have also talked to some of the members that have the HR pumps and I'm sure there is some difference but I wonder how much. Some guys say they feel a difference and some guys say the difference is HUGE. I also know that alot of guys buy something and it's automaticly the VERY BEST. I know when I got the new pump my truck ran a bunch better then it did with the old pump. But like I said the old pump was shot. So would a new HR pump feel better then a old worn out VP44 I'm sure the answer is yes. Is there 90 hp more then a good oem style VP44 I gotta doubt it. I don't see how you'll get 60 more hp from a pump. If your oem style pump, pumps 2X more fuel then your engine can burn how does one that pumps3X more fuel build more hp? I'm sure if you were running out of fuel then for sure you could see the difference. I doubt that my truck would benefit from a high volume fuel pump. I guess that's the answer that were looking for. Is it higher volume or more psi or maybe both?
Thanks,
Topper
Old 06-04-2006, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Topper
I have talked to Doug. I have also talked to some of the members that have the HR pumps and I'm sure there is some difference but I wonder how much. Some guys say they feel a difference and some guys say the difference is HUGE. I also know that alot of guys buy something and it's automaticly the VERY BEST. I know when I got the new pump my truck ran a bunch better then it did with the old pump. But like I said the old pump was shot. So would a new HR pump feel better then a old worn out VP44 I'm sure the answer is yes. Is there 90 hp more then a good oem style VP44 I gotta doubt it. I don't see how you'll get 60 more hp from a pump. If your oem style pump, pumps 2X more fuel then your engine can burn how does one that pumps3X more fuel build more hp? I'm sure if you were running out of fuel then for sure you could see the difference. I doubt that my truck would benefit from a high volume fuel pump. I guess that's the answer that were looking for. Is it higher volume or more psi or maybe both?
Thanks,
Topper

i dont know if this going to help and all but im not a big honor into the HR pump. I have a 1983 240d that i converted to svo and the pump went out on it and i had to replace it... well with the car only having 78hp i felt like the car had twice that with the new pump and this was a rebuilt same ole pump.....
Old 06-04-2006, 09:56 PM

Someone out there

Anybody? Someone knows.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:50 PM

I think where it shines is in the HO motors. They have 7mm plungers as opposed to the SO's 9mm. So the power difference will be stronger in a HO truck. As for the output of the pump, I dont really know, but I'm sure the fuel output is higher so the Pressure would have to be higher as well compared to a OEM pump. But hey, I dont have one so I really don't know for sure!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:02 PM

Try searching Hot rod vp44, HRVP, etc. There's plenty of info here on these pumps.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:20 PM

thanks so much guys for the help and info.

now for some other questions, can someone give me doug's #, and also does he sell oem pumps too, can anyone shoot me a price, where should i go to get just an oem pump, auto parts store, cummins itself, what?

and another thing is, ya'll might wanna check out my thread here that i started "sounded like a backfire" and let me know if ya'll think it might be my pump anyway, because the linked thread is the reason for this one.

thanks again
Old 06-05-2006, 07:13 AM

There are gains to be made with a HRVP. The pump will make power above the OEM version on all trucks, but how much will depend on mods. An example is we have a truck that we set up with MAch 4's, SPS66, Comp box, and a HRVP, the truck made 605 RWHP. Now an OEM pump would have been between 500-525 RWHP. Thats a big difference. I know of another truck using Mach 4's, SPS64, Smarty, and a HRVP and he made almost 500 RWHP and no tapped wire!

Now lets take a truck that is making 600+ RWHP and change the OEM pump to a HRVP whats the gain? Normally around 20-30 HP. The HRVP has the ability to deliver a lot of fuel down low so normally we see a nice gain in torque on this truck but not huge topend gains.

My advice is to match the part to the job. The dealer needs to spend some time talking with the customer to explain things and get the best part for his truck. There is no "one size fit all" in this business.

Ridiculous,

now for some other questions, can someone give me doug's #, and also does he sell oem pumps too,
Our number is 800-893-1059, and yes we have OEM pumps as well as the HRVP.

Doug Smith
Old 06-05-2006, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
I know of another truck using Mach 4's, SPS64, Smarty, and a HRVP and he made almost 500 RWHP and no tapped wire!
Close- just a plain ol ps64 here