Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hose diameter for boost fuel gauges

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hose diameter for boost fuel gauges

I have some 3/16" high temp rated teflon hose that I would like to run for my isspro gauges.
My plan is to slide the small hard plastic hose (supplied with the gauges)
into the teflon tubing as far as possible, so there would be the small tubing on stubbed on either end to push into the push fittings.
The teflon tube is so flexible and provides more protection,
but I'm not sure it would make any difference to the gauges.

Any reason this wouldn't work?
thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 11:30 AM

Thats exactly what you want to do - 1/8" nylon carries the boost signal and the other tubing is on the outslide for protection.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Thats exactly what you want to do - 1/8" nylon carries the boost signal and the other tubing is on the outslide for protection.
the problem is that the 3/16" teflon tubing I have is too small to thread the plastic tubing thru completely. Can only get it in so far. Actually I can get it the plastic tubing completely thru the teflon, but it required using electrician's slippery goo stuff--its yellow and ugly, so was hoping I didn't have to go that route.

so wondered if I could just have the plastic tubing at either end, threaded into the teflon tubing as far as possible (but it only goes about 6-8" max)

would that work? thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 07:41 PM

It would probably come out if it were not glued or clamped together in some sort. If you can secure them together you will probably be ok. Another issue might be the softer tubing might expand under high boost giving you funny readings, i doubt it but it might. Thats the only problems i might see with it. Why dont you want to use the tubing that came with the guage?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by barngal6
the problem is that the 3/16" teflon tubing I have is too small to thread the plastic tubing thru completely. Can only get it in so far. Actually I can get it the plastic tubing completely thru the teflon, but it required using electrician's slippery goo stuff--its yellow and ugly, so was hoping I didn't have to go that route.

so wondered if I could just have the plastic tubing at either end, threaded into the teflon tubing as far as possible (but it only goes about 6-8" max)

would that work? thanks
Then just go with 1/4" line for the outside. Its cheap. Use a bit of electrical heat shrink at either end to secure it to the 1/8" tubing.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bradleysram
It would probably come out if it were not glued or clamped together in some sort. If you can secure them together you will probably be ok. Another issue might be the softer tubing might expand under high boost giving you funny readings, i doubt it but it might. Thats the only problems i might see with it. Why dont you want to use the tubing that came with the guage?
I dont think so on both counts.

She is using the tubing that came with the guage but wants some extra tubing over top for protection.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:17 PM

would that work? thanks

If you are planning to just use it for protection over the tubing you will be fine for sure, i understood her to mean she was just going to put some of the smaller tubing on either side of the teflon tubing from her last statement about threading it into the teflon tubing as far as possible
Old 07-21-2009, 07:47 PM

If you are planning to just use it for protection over the tubing you will be fine for sure, i understood her to mean she was just going to put some of the smaller tubing on either side of the teflon tubing from her last statement about threading it into the teflon tubing as far as possible
Yes, I was planning to put smaller tubing on either side of the teflon, since it is very difficult to thread the smaller plastic tubing all the way through. Sounds like that won't work--the answer I was looking for.

So I"ll either get different protective tubing, or get that plastic tubing all the way thru what I've got.

Thanks guys,
Old 07-21-2009, 08:38 PM

You might want to try using some small hose clamps over the teflon tubing where it overlaps the hard nylon tubing. It might be worth a shot
Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 PM

You might want to try using some small hose clamps over the teflon tubing where it overlaps the hard nylon tubing. It might be worth a shot
Well, yes, it is worth a shot, since I have the lines run already.
I must have my boost sensor in the wrong place, because I'm getting zero boost on the gauge when driving...
but I'll try clamping the tubing first, then changing sensor position
I'll post how it goes thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 09:14 PM

where do u have your sensor at
Old 07-22-2009, 09:37 PM

Sensor place on top of the intake manifold, back towards the firewall. Its on the same level as where the oil filter bracket screws on, but I thought it communicated with the manifold, and the filter bracket bolts did not.
Think I was wrong.
The drawings look like the sensor should be on the side of the manifold, but there is only ONE bolt available on that side, it is towards the front of the engine. closer to the firewall is an elbow with a line out of it.
I thought I read in a couple of places NOT use the bolt most forward, but it is the only bolt so I didn't try it.
Now I think I was wrong--maybe the bolt on top is just part of the cover..

also I need to read up on the elbow, if I remember there's some thing you can do with that elbow to improve performance?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:40 PM

The drawings look like the sensor should be on the side of the manifold, but there is only ONE bolt available on that side, it is towards the front of the engine.
That would be the one, IIRC its kind of near the middle

- Yes, the pic is a First gen 12V
Old 07-22-2009, 10:11 PM

Yea, thats the pic I keep seeing.
But on my truck, the only available bolt that is on the vertical side of the manifold, like the drawing shows,
is to the left of the injectors, towards the front of the engine

Later tonight I might be able to go out and just change the location and see what happens...
I'll definitely post my results
thanks again for sticking with me on this
Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 PM

Im not famirliar with that particular location but i know there is a 3/4 inch or so plug right behind the filter housing toward the rear of the truck. Kinda a pain to get to. i believe itis a square head like on a 3/8 ratchet

Quick Reply: Hose diameter for boost fuel gauges