Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hooking up fuel pressure guage

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Ian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help asap with fuel guage!

Can you use any fitting to attach the fuel line to the schraeder valve on the bottom of the fuel filter housing? If so, does it just screw on? Thanks a bunch!
Ian

EDIT: Leaving for California on Friday, and I need to know why my fuel pressure guage reads 15+psi at idle and goes down to about 8-9psi at wot. Any ideas?? I'm totally lost...I would have thought that it would be 8-10psi at idle, and 15+ at wot...
thanks a bunch.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll need a piece that has the fitting for a Schrader Valve on one end and a 1/4 npt fitting for your gauge to connect to. The hose on my basic auto parts fuel pressure test kit has both and that's what I use. Lots of guys install a fuel pressure "T" fitting available at speed shops, on the rubber line that runs from the filter to the VP....probably your best option.
Because you're running an Edge comp, you might need to upgrade your fuel lines & fittings to get enough fuel pressure at wide open throttle (WOT). Scotty's Smart Fuel (a site sponser here ) looks good...you can ask about the fuel pressure gauge fitting too. I'm taking my drilled banjo stuff off and buy better fittings for better flow soon.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:21 AM

I'm using a hose from Geno garage. Its in my pix. Also I need a new LP so when that goes in I'm redoing my fuel lines.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Ian

ok, thanks for the info! So just a regular female connection to hook up to the schraeder valve would work? Thanks again!
Ian
Old 08-14-2005, 11:03 PM

Yes, if that fitting is for a Schrader Valve and pushes the little valve core stem open. It also has to connect to your gauge plumbing.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:45 PM

Is this where you would install your gauge for a permanent mount in cab gauge or just for a quick under the hood check.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Ian

2500Ram: its where I'm installing my guage permanently

I hooked the fuel guage up last night at the shraeder on the fuel filter housing, and the guage was making out at 15+ at idle, and would drop whenever I accelerated. Any ideas what could cause that?
I'm rerouting it to the schraeder off of the injection pump with the needle valve tonight, hopefully it will read properly this time
Old 08-16-2005, 08:45 PM

I used the test kit line, grease gun line extensions and fittings to get pressure from the VP to inside my cab. It's not pretty but it works. Someday I'd like to install a dash pod with lit guages but I'd still use my test kit/greasegun extensions...the test kit has a bleeder valve for bleeding the air off my system after a filter change, it's kinda handy. I guess I need to take it apart and lay it out then take a picture & post it in my gallery.

Ian, my pressure drops upon acceleration too as does most everyone else except the guys running a big pump type system.
It doesn't bother me until my pressure at WOT goes below 8psi and a set of injectors will likely send it that low so my next move will be straight fuel fittings.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:38 AM
Ian

oh, ok. thanks clunk. does it really idle at 15 psi? I was surprised at that. thanks again!
Ian