Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Homemade Valet switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homemade Valet switch

Well, i can never leave anything alone ; so today, i pulled the plug out of where the boost elbow goes by the AFC housing(had it plugged because of the non w/g housing), and went down to the shop to dig through the box of fittings/valves we have. I found a small valve with the same threads as the boost elbow, and cleaned it up; got it working smooth, and screwed it in where the boost elbow would normally go on something with a wastegate. All i have to do is pop the hood, and turn the handle on the valve to the open position for Valet mode, or turn it to the closed position to work regularly. Takes 30 seconds. I really like the way the truck drives in Valet. Cant slip anything in the tranny; and the power comes on nice, and smooth instead of just putting you through the back of the seat when it gets about 15psi of boost In overdrive or 3rd at anything under 2k rpm; i cant really get over about 15 pounds of boost. Boost climbs as the rpm's do. Has a nice solid pull, but not near as much as it had before. Very smooth though, and still better than a stock 12v for darn sure. In 3rd, anything over about 2300rpm, and i can still get 30psi of boost, and it has pretty good pull, but still not as good as before, and the power comes on smooth still. It still smokes quite a bit till about 10psi, but by 10psi, it burns as clean as they come. No smoke at all. Has a nice, solid pull to it. Overall; i cant wait to pull a trailer with it like this. I think this is how i will run all the time when im loaded. Wont have to worry about slipping the clutches in overdrive now either, cause it wont in Valet . EGT's stay much cooler, and its easier on the whole truck. from 0-60 regularly my EGT's are about 1200*(were 1450* before i got the timing advanced!! ). In valet from 0-60 its only at 1000*, and not really climbing any more. All in all, i dont have anything but about 1 hour of scrounging around/testing, since i got the valve free. I am REALLY happy with this mod. I will try and get pics tomorrow. I do wish i could adjust it from in the cab, because i was running in valet tonight and i got beside a turbo'd ricer(which i might add was VERY slow for some reason), and was playing with him, and didnt have the power i would have liked, but i think had we raced i still cold have gotten him. But mainly when i will use it will be pulling loads. I will also probably see if it helps my fuel mileage any if i can. Sorry for the long post, but i get excited about little things like this. I have to haul my buddies 80 something F-350 Single wheel to have a new motor put in it maybe Monday, so i will report back with how it does, and maybe get pics

Eric
Old 10-16-2005, 05:28 PM

Pictures. Valet closed; Normal position:

Eric
Old 10-16-2005, 05:30 PM

Valve open; Valet mode. Still really liking it so far. Cant wait to pull with it

Eric
Old 10-16-2005, 06:43 PM

Nice,

Would be nice to have something that is cab adjustable...
Old 10-16-2005, 10:03 PM

Yeah; i know.... I thought about running it into the cab. Wouldnt really be that hard. Might do that when i have the time.

Eric
Old 10-17-2005, 10:26 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Nice,

Would be nice to have something that is cab adjustable...
Take a boo on the ATS site.. They have a cable/cap that replaces the stock aneroid cap.. You just pull the adjustable cable to adjust the AFC stop.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

AHH.. I just went there and its gone.. Even their pressure valet switch is discontinued..

Everyone is going electronic....
Old 10-17-2005, 10:39 AM

i wouldn't call that a valet, it is more of a air bleed. you need to put the valve between the intake and the afc.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by jlipskoc
Eric, what size threads, or fitting will we need. I need to make one also

How much HP did you think you lost? It sounds like its not even using the torque plate curve.

With the open valve, does it suck air in the afc, or blow air out?
(was wondering about unfiltered air entering the afc/pump oil)

Thanks for the pics!

John
Hmmm. Not sure on the thread size... I just found something that fit. I feel like i probably lost 60hp or so. Enough to make a decent difference. With the valve open, it is blowing air out, so nothing should be able to get sucked in through it. I will see if i can figure out what size threads it takes

Eric
Old 10-17-2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by gunracer1
i wouldn't call that a valet, it is more of a air bleed. you need to put the valve between the intake and the afc.
That is basically all a valet is too though... From what i can tell, it works as good as a valet would. It has to be working since i can only get 15psi of boost in overdrive with the pedal matted under 2k. Some boost may be pushing through the afc as rpm's increase, but it still isnt much. Just enough that i can tell it picks up a little more, and boost rises. I really wouldnt want it any less powerful than this for towing, but it seems like it will have just enough to be just right, but not enough to slip/hurt anything, or get EGT's out of control. I just cant see the benifit of trying to move it on MY truck. It may not work as well for someone else, but it is a very cheap alternative to a valet from piers or wherever.

Eric
Old 10-17-2005, 11:59 AM

When you open the valve, you've essentially introduced a boost leak. You would want to put a valve in the line to close pressure from the AFC but not let boost go to atmosphere. There are a few ways to do this. A solenoid used to operate an EGR off of a gas engine has been used in the past. Flip the switch and the boost is cut off from the AFC. You could also manually plumb the line to the cab and have a manual flow control valve put in line. Then it's adjustable as you drive (You'll have to have 0 boost at that time to "shut off" the AFC).
Old 10-17-2005, 12:04 PM

True, it is a boost leak, but it doesent really seem to be hurting performance(smoke clears up). It definatley has room for improvement, but i will work on that later. Im pretty happy how it is.

Eric
Old 10-17-2005, 12:48 PM

Run a choke cable or something like that to it from inside the cab. Something simple though it might not be the proper thing, but it does work for your 30 minutes of time.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:44 PM

it is 1/8th inch npt thread.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:39 AM

why are you creating a boost leak, when all you have to do is put the valve between the afc and the intake.

Quick Reply: Homemade Valet switch