Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Homebrew Fass Fuel System Attempt....

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homebrew Fass Fuel System Attempt....

Alright...... Here is the low down.

I just sold my piece of ford truck and bought a Dodge diesel.....LOVE IT.

I have had the truck for 3 weeks.....

AFE STAGE 2........DONE
4" EXHAUST MRBP MUFF.......DONE (and sweet 5" tip)
EDGE JUICE WITH ATTITUDE.......DONE
NEW TRANSMISSION WITH BILLET TORQUE......DONE

Now..... Here is the real question, can a homebrew pump setup work.....Maybe there is already a post out there for this setuo but i could not find anything ont he forums.

I have some parts laying around the garage and i was thinking of maiing a fuel system.

I have a holley, 245 dollar EFI fuel pump that will pump up to 50 PSI.

I Have a aeromotive fuel regulator with a autometer gauge and it has a in, a out and a return line......That is what i did not know about, the return line, the pump has to run solid.

If i were to take this pump, rig it up take the stock pump out, hook this pump up to a toggle switch, or the stock wiring, probably a toggle switch, and put the regulator just after the pump, regulated the fuel pressure with the gauge....and had a return line.
Would that work??????
It is okay for the pump to run all the time, i would not hurt it, and it is a good pump.

The only question that i had.........

When you turn the pump on it is all cool and since there is a return line the pump would run constant and get the line to the regulated pressure, and the shoot the rest back into the tank.

But when i shut the truck off, will the fuel run back into the tank and there will be air in the line??????????when this happenes will the truck be screwed and not run basicaly. How does the stock pump run, is there a check valve of some sort or do you just turn the pump on and it will fill the line from the tank go to the pump and there will be no air.?????

I dont know, so basically,

1. Take stock pump out

2. Take input on tank and rig it to input on new pump.

3. Connection from output of new holley pump to the fuel regulator.

4. Return line back to the tank from the requlator.

5. Switch on the dash to crank the sweet pump on........BETTER yet tie into ignition and hook it up, or maybe someone knows what the stock wires do, if they get solid power or if the power goes on or off,, or is the wires to the pump a solid power source to the pump if thety are i could use that.

6. On output of regulator, hook back up to normal fuel line and pump the ***** to 40 PSI....?????????????????????

Am i way out to lunch.......
Do i need a check valve......
Can that work??????

My biggest worry would be the fuel in the line going back into the tank.

Some Gurus should be able to get a guy on the right track......

Let me know.....
Old 10-16-2007, 12:58 AM

If you are set on using the holley there are quite a few guys on here doing it. i decided agaist it because the holley was designed for carb engines, not high pressure fuel inj. So they pretty much run at full load all the time. i went with the glacier walbro 392 kit. Easy to install, great customer service, pump cheap to replace if you ever need another one, great pressure, whisper quiet, and $439 shipped to my door with everything I needed from front to back in one box. About a 2 hour install.

If you want to go the holley route, talk to blackdiesel, he seems pretty sharp on that.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Texaschevelle
If you are set on using the holley there are quite a few guys on here doing it. i decided agaist it because the holley was designed for carb engines, not high pressure fuel inj. So they pretty much run at full load all the time. i went with the glacier walbro 392 kit. Easy to install, great customer service, pump cheap to replace if you ever need another one, great pressure, whisper quiet, and $439 shipped to my door with everything I needed from front to back in one box. About a 2 hour install.

If you want to go the holley route, talk to blackdiesel, he seems pretty sharp on that.
That was not what i was saying.

1. Does your pump have a return line?
2. is there a check valve?
3. Is it on a toggle
4. Does your line just pump back up when the truck is started again?
???????
Old 10-16-2007, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most guys run their Holley Blue pumps one of four ways. On the stock harness, on a relay triggered by the stock harness, with a toggle switch that they turn on after truck is started using the stock pump: in this scenario the blue acts as a feeder/ pusher pump to help out the stock pump, or four using some sort of oil pressure switch like the one supplied with the BD lift pump setup that turns on the feeder/ pusher pump after oil pressure is present=truck is running.

Some say that running the Holley Blue on the stock harness can fry the ecm, my truck runs with the Blue on the stock harness and I've had zero problems.

Yes there is an overflow valve on the injection pump return line banjo bolt. It is regulated at 15 psi. Causes starting problems when it fails.

Lots of guys have rigged up all sorts of fuel systems, your ideas can work but you will have to do some adjusting to get it just right. If you do a search for Holley Blue, numerous threads will pop up about various tried and true setups with details like cost, time, and diagrams.

Two things to keep in mind :
1. The stock fuel system does not run constant while the starter is cranking, it has a delayed on off on off on off sequence. This limits the amount of fuel pressure at startup cause high pressure is known to cause hard starts. This is why I chose to run on the stock harness because I don't like hard starts.
2. Most guys limit max pressure between 14 and 16 psi. Why, in some freak incidents, high pressures above 30 psi have been claimed to have damaged the impeller on the injection pump. Also the stock filter canister is not really designed for more than 15-20 psi, more than that you are pushing its limits.

VP's seem to make peak HP around 30 psi of fed fuel pressure, but the increases become less and less around 25 psi. And we are only talking maybe 5 peak HP going from 15 to 25 psi. Most say to keep fed pressure above 7psi at all times to avoid lubrication and heat failure type damage, I personally don't like mine to go below 10 psi with everything set to kill.

You might also think about some sort of a line filter on that return line, no sense pumping all that fuel, stirring up the tank all day without getting some benefit, like increased filtration.