Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

home made dual stacks!!??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
home made dual stacks!!??

ok i got a 95 12 valver...i wanna get some dual stacks happening for the summer and turn some heads...i think i can pretty much do this at home with a few flex tubes, the two stacks and some sort of split pipe or "Y" pipe and leave the catalytic converter or just the resonator on....i dont think there should be major problems with this ..tell me what ya'll think!
i was also thinking maybe doing something a little more original by getting the stack to split just behind my front wheels out to the sides....
Old 03-12-2004, 03:46 AM

A really slick way to do it is have a piece of tube steel cut the width of your bed. Something like a 3inch by 4inch tube. You can run your exhaust up in the middle of your bed into the bottom of your tube and weld you stacks on each end on top. One word of advice take all your mufflers and cats or watever off you want good sound with stacks. If you do go the flex pipe way you could have more money in it and you run a risk of anoying squeeks. I speak from experience. Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:06 AM

Mr. T,
I am looking to go this route as well. I have a friend that is a welder and he is going to help me out but I need to design it. I would be very interested in the details of your project.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:54 PM

Sc Hammer,
Cool Idea..Just a thought..if you could find a couple pieces of well casing either 4" or 5" you could weld those to your square steel tube at each end and clamp chrome stacks on those and one welded to the bottom in the middle would be perfect to attatch your exauhst to. The bigger the square tube the deeper the tone I bet. Man I love it!!!
Old 03-12-2004, 05:17 PM

alrighty...more questions though..what benefits are there to having that tube running the width of my bed?? i figured if i do all the splitting under the bed and run the stacks up in each corner through the holes it would be better...2ndly!!! for all of you guys who have the dual stacks running already, what kinda sound do u get? a squeel?? or like a mack dump truck deep drone?? i want the deeper sound personally......also what about smoke i know i can expect smoke at low rpms or whatever but i dont wanna smoke the whole way through the streets...i plan on driving this thing around coppers and not get harassed
Old 03-12-2004, 05:59 PM

I had stacks up through the corners of my bed. The problem I had was to get to the drivers side I had to dip the pipe under the frame rail. That low spot created a spot for water to gather. As a matter of fact when I removed my system it was holding close to 1/2 a gallon of water. So every chance I got I climbed under someones truck to see how they did it. (One guy caught me at Wal-MArt...he didn't get mad just concerned) Anyhow what I found the smart guys do is run up the center of their bed and then split inside from side to side. Equals out the sound output, cures the water problem and smoke comes out both sides evenly. You don't get more smoke than a stock system. Stacks are not a performance upgrade..just a ego upgrade. The reason for the big square pipe would be (1) strength and ridgity (2) Deeper dumptruck tone! (theory)
Old 03-12-2004, 06:24 PM

I built my crossover pipe from 6" square, 3/8" box tubing. It's plenty sturdy, gives the truck a nice deep tone, and the thick wall seems to keep resonation down a bit.
andy
Old 03-12-2004, 08:39 PM

anybody got any pict of the tube work?? please send me the link!!...pictures of the tubing from the turbo would be awesome...also i'm hearing that they sell complete dual stack kits now with all the clamps and tubing and all...what kinda $ am i looking at with one of those kits and where can i get one?
Old 03-12-2004, 10:49 PM

stacks

the tube idea is how I have mine set up. you can see some pics at:http://www.turbodieselregister.com/u...&albumid=1449. this wasn't too expensive either .
Old 03-12-2004, 11:41 PM

that looks really nice...i could probably drop some wood logs on that and it would hold up fine!...so is the square pipe the way to go?? looks nice and sturdy thats for sure...hows the actual exhaust flow?....not restrictive is it? what about having even flow on both sides with this setup...any delays between the two stacks ??

oh and a lil question...im assuming that im gonna fail the emissions with this setup huh...so i gotta put on the stock exhaust for that or whats the story from your experiences?
Old 03-13-2004, 02:06 AM

tube

the inlet is slightly offset but it seems to flow out both stacks equally. the tube flows better than the pipe so that is not a problem for me. and I don't see how the stacks by themselves can make you fail emissions, you might fail for noise pollution if you removed the muffler though. But I haven't had that problem yet
Old 08-17-2004, 06:58 PM

any pics
Old 08-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is about as simple as it gets folks. You can re-invent the wheel if you like but here is what I did.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/1

Here is the filler piece between the two pipes.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/3