Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

home brew $50 exhaust brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up home brew $50 exhaust brake

I helped a friend of mine put a pusher on his 00' the other night, he says we can do it at my uncles, you might like him, ok I say thinking good my shop will stay clean, this guy is a lifetime diesel wrench....and a cheap ol' hillbilly. He shows me his exhaust brake on his 96' ctd it goes like this:

he took an exhaust system from an isuzu truck via wrecking yard $50.00 put a flapper valve in the pipe near the turbo and used a mercury ? (70ish with hidden lights) vaccuum diaphram actuator to operate the flapper, a two speed rear switch to operate the solenoid he robbed from the heater of the donor car....viola he says he can lock the tires up in 3rd gear!!

I am trying to get some pics cause it was way to simple

PS if anyone drives an isuzu in Spokane/N. ID could you please wreck it and call me
Old 03-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Lock the tires up in 3rd gear with an exhaust brake

Sounds like a great guy, but he might be spending a little too much time at the still

Don't expect ANY exhaust brake to lock up your tires, just not going to happen. Adding back pressure sure helps slow you down, I love my Pacbrake, works terrific but lets face it, to lock up the tires it would have to stop the engine from turning. and even then it won't lock up the tires.

Try shutting off your engine while cruising and see if your tires lock up, with an auto tranny it will just keep rolling, eventually coming to a stop. A stick tranny will slow down and eventually come to a jerky stop.

The guy is pulling your leg You can make a home made exhaust brake, just don't be looking for it to lock up your tires.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Ben

Larry,

He is correct from a certain point of view. My exhaust brake has pitched me sideways more than once on "non pavement", ie snow, ice, gravel, surfaces when actuated. I can feel the tires lock and skid. On pavement or wet pavement I've never had this happen. However, this has always been in an upper rpm situation. (2k or higher). Never at low r's. So, for what it's worth, these are my experiences.....
Old 03-02-2005, 02:54 PM

i have been thinking about building my own 5" inline exhaust brake. i don't think it will be that hard.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:57 PM

Re: home brew $50 exhaust brake

Originally posted by high country
he says he can lock the tires up in 3rd gear!!

and you didnt make him take you for a ride?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Ben
Larry,

He is correct from a certain point of view. My exhaust brake has pitched me sideways more than once on "non pavement", ie snow, ice, gravel, surfaces when actuated. I can feel the tires lock and skid. On pavement or wet pavement I've never had this happen. However, this has always been in an upper rpm situation. (2k or higher). Never at low r's. So, for what it's worth, these are my experiences.....
Ben,

You are correct about the snow and ice situation, I neglected to think of that scenario. I was picturing an exhaust brake locking up the tires on dry pavement. I stand corrected

Not that I was wrong here, I just wasn't as right as I should have been
Old 03-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not that the tires are locking up, it's the fact that the tire speed is drastically reduced when the exhaust brake slows down the engine and the tires loose traction. Been there, done that. Not a good feeling.

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Banned

Guys, there are a LOT of Isuzu trucks that have exhaust brakes from the factory.

The problem is that All I have ever seen are 3 inch, not big enough for me.

I'd like to see ANY exhaust brake slid the rears on dry pavement on ANY truck.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:12 PM

he welded the bypass holes in the flapper closed, but says be careful cause you can float the valves with too much backpressure, any how not too shabby for a benjamin
Old 03-02-2005, 11:44 PM

I am in the prosess of getting my homebrew put in here shortly, along with my stacks!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:49 PM

what are you using for the actuator ??
Old 03-03-2005, 12:12 AM

actuator powered by: ARMSTRONG!!!lol gonnahave it done with a locking throttle cable off of a cement truck. have to re-work the bushings with brass in the hinge holes for the butterfly though first.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:25 AM

Question for you on that throttle cable youll be using.
I already have a cable coming into the cab , i replaced the shutoff solonoid with a manual kill .
Only complain I have is that the actual cable seems to vibrate inside the outer cover from the engine vibration. Been driving me nuts,
Not enough to fix it, but getting tiresome.
Ive been trying to figure a way of keeping it tight inside there, ( I figured you might have the same thing).

Ideas?
though about greasing the cable, maybe a heavy silicone?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:49 AM

Weld in a wastegate that is set at 30lbs so that if back pressure builds to that point it dumps off.

Rick