Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Holy cow!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy cow!

Put the Scotty Air II in today, with the cowl hole drilled, and pulled the silencer ring. Dang it's loud! I may have to put the silencer ring back in; depends on whether SWMBO complains a lot or not.

This might be a stupid question, but was I supposed to remove the grommet thingie in the fender hole that the stock air box fit into? The cowl end of the Scotty intake doesn't go very far into the cowl hole, so I'm just wondering if I put everything in there right or not.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it loud enough that you won't be able to hear SWMBO complain?
(If it is, I might have to get one).
Not sure if you are supposed to remove the doomaflachie or not ("thingie" is NOT a technical word)

Congrats,
~Rob
Old 10-03-2005, 08:55 PM

OK what is a SWMBO??

Guess I need to read the personals more often, I only know SWF!
Old 10-03-2005, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sidewinder
OK what is a SWMBO??

Guess I need to read the personals more often, I only know SWF!
She Who Must Be Obeyed

~Rob
Old 10-03-2005, 09:13 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I ain't got one of those in my DOG HOUSE I do have a significant other and she does hold the purse strings for me, Chucks I,d be as poor as a church mouse if she didn,t. But "obey" wasn't in our vows. But I kinda got off track here. Has anyone installed a functional scoop on a 1st gen.?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Boatnik
Has anyone installed a functional scoop on a 1st gen.?
functional in what sense? There is little air pressure below about 4 inches off the hood so a low rise scoop may be "functional" but to what degree. You'd be better off sticking the intake at the front of the truck or using the cowl under the windshield (as I believe the Scotty offers as an option).
Old 10-04-2005, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by hotdram
Is it loud enough that you won't be able to hear SWMBO complain?
(If it is, I might have to get one).
Not sure if you are supposed to remove the doomaflachie or not ("thingie" is NOT a technical word)

Congrats,
~Rob
Not quite, unless her voice is pitched very high. It almost sounds like the whine from a stereo amplifier with a bad ground.

(Oh, and thingie is an IT word.)
Old 10-04-2005, 07:41 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
I believe what Rob is refering to is a "goesinta". Reason - it's the item that goes in to the turbo inlet.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by shortround
I believe what Rob is refering to is a "goesinta". Reason - it's the item that goes in to the turbo inlet.
I'm not sure I'm buying Rob's terms after reading about his toilet problems.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by jfpointer
I'm not sure I'm buying Rob's terms after reading about his toilet problems.
No problems with my plumbing now And I can tell you what to do with that goesinta doohickie, but it'll cost ya' $142.00

~Rob
Old 10-04-2005, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jfpointer
Put the Scotty Air II in today, with the cowl hole drilled, and pulled the silencer ring. Dang it's loud!
This might be a stupid question, but was I supposed to remove the grommet thingie in the fender hole that the stock air box fit into?
Only took 10 posts for you to get an answer....some people have entirely too much free time!

I went so far as to test mine...with & without the rubber "grommet thingie". No difference in max boost reading...so it's your choice.

I put mine back in after a 1,000 miles because it seemed to hold the Scotty II in place a little better! My Scotty II does not protrude into the firewall hole, like some, it just rests against it, so a little added support could not hurt.

Scotty posted once that different model trucks (RC,QC, LB,SB, etc) result in slightly different Scotty II placement with reguards to the hole....and that all work equally well!

Daily driving works VERY well with the hole covered up...better than I would have thought. Another option is the TAG System...quiets the wine down a lot.

RJ
Old 10-04-2005, 11:07 AM

She Who Must Be Obeyed

~Rob

We're in the same boat...
Old 10-04-2005, 11:54 AM

She Who Must Be Obeyed

~Rob
And here I thought it was Single White Male with Body Odor....
Old 10-04-2005, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Only took 10 posts for you to get an answer....some people have entirely too much free time!

I went so far as to test mine...with & without the rubber "grommet thingie". No difference in max boost reading...so it's your choice.

I put mine back in after a 1,000 miles because it seemed to hold the Scotty II in place a little better! My Scotty II does not protrude into the firewall hole, like some, it just rests against it, so a little added support could not hurt.

Scotty posted once that different model trucks (RC,QC, LB,SB, etc) result in slightly different Scotty II placement with reguards to the hole....and that all work equally well!

Daily driving works VERY well with the hole covered up...better than I would have thought. Another option is the TAG System...quiets the wine down a lot.

RJ
Way it works sometimes, but I'm guilty of a little kiddin' around myself every once in a while.

Thanks for the observations. From your description, it sounds like mine is roughly the same in how much it hits that cowl hole. Just part of the inside edge (nearest the motor) protrudes through the hole. I think I will have to put the silencer ring back in. The whistling is very annoying.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:13 PM

No problems with my plumbing now And I can tell you what to do with that goesinta doohickie, but it'll cost ya' $142.00

~Rob
Not a chance. My toilet got jealous, so I have to pull it up tonight and put a new ring on it. Really, it was the boss who wanted to put those stupid little white caps over the pretty brass bolts, which meant I had to take the nuts off to put the retainer on, which is when the bolt slipped in the flange, which means that the bolt will never slip back into the flange properly again until I remove the toilet to see what I'm doing. At least it's not leaking.