Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Holley Blue vs Holley Black

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by qwest
Hohn, Thank you for the concise summation.

MY VP failure: ( I looked at the internals when rebuilt )
was due to the advance piston binding in the brass cylinder , as I understand
a common problem in 02 pumps....( and I suspect not related to low LP pressure )
But I am sure there are many other failure modes.
Thanks again....
I don't know how MY 02 pump failed. I suspect it was similar to yours though. When my pump was dying, the engine would just lose all clatter at precisely 2000 rpm. Instead it was just a gentle purr of engien noise. It was the oddest thing to have clatter just magically switched off.

It would makes sense if the advance piston had bound up, basically removing any timing advance that would cause the clatter (or conversely, just retarding timing a bunch).

The Vp that's on there now seems to be holding up quite well. Dad says it runs great and starts reliably below -20F.

Justin
Old 11-13-2007, 05:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
By the way, I thought I would post to this thread for the archives just how a person can calculate how much fuel they will need in terms of GPH from a supply pump. Here's what you need to know:
-- how much HP you want to build for
-- what the BSFC is at maximum hp (.4 is a good conservative assumption)
-- How much a gallon of diesel weighs (about 6.9# for summer fuel up to 7.2# for winter).

Now BSFC is Brake Specific Fuel Consumption, just a fancy way of saying how many pounds of fuel you burn to make 1hp for one hour. So if you are making 100hp for an hour with a BSFC of .4, then you've used 40 pounds of fuel (divided by 7lb/gal to get gallons, or right around 5.7 gallons for diesel).

So, if you're still with me, let's find out how much diesel in GPH we need for a 500hp Cummins:

500hp X .4 BSFC= 200 # fuel per hour.

200# divided by 7 lb/gal= ~28.6 gallons of summer diesel fuel in one hour

Add 20% for additional measure and you're at almost 35gph even.

So, THIS is why I claim that a 95gph or 150gph pump is way overkill for a CTD. A 500hp Cummins only needs about 35GPH!!

Now, unless you have a way for that big oversized pump to throttle back and turn slower, it's a huge waste of life buying a big oversized pump that won't last as long because it's pumping way harder than it needs to.

You'd get pretty tired if you had to do all your breathing through a straw, eh?

Justin
Old 11-13-2007, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you hook the holley black up, do you leave the stock one in? and let them both run together
Old 11-14-2007, 08:40 PM
vrj

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by notpowerSTROKIN
if you hook the holley black up, do you leave the stock one in? and let them both run together
If the lift pump is on the block, you must bypass it. If the lift pump is in the tank, some use both pumps.

Mine had a retro in-tank pump added by the dealer and I'm running both for now. I'm dropping the tank soon to remove the in-tank pump and will then run on only one pump.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM

I have to say, if you are going to these larger pumps designed to pump gas. You must remove as much restriction as possible. The pump will work itself to death trying to pump diesel thru small lines and restrictive bango bolts. And your pressure gauge will start acting crazy. This is called cavitation. When the pump can no longer pump fuel.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:04 PM

Just a little info. I just added a Holley Red with my in-tank pump. 3/8 line to the fuel filter with AN fittings and a Vulcan braided 1/2 line to the VP. Idle=15psi, cruising=14psi and WOT=11psi. Not bad in my opinion. Yes, if the in-tank pump fails the Holley pump will not pull fuel through the in-tank pump, but even if you didn't have an external pump with the in-tank you're screwed anyway, so what's the difference??
Old 11-15-2007, 12:09 AM

I'm gettin rid of that worthless stock lp as soon as possible and putting in a FASS. The fass has a life of 500k miles. Better filtration. Removes all air from fuel. Plus improves overall performance.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:40 AM

How do you stretch the spring on the holleys.

I just put my holley black in last night, and well It is sweet, i ran braided line from the pump, my pump is mounted on the frame and i just cut my harness off the stocker and hooked it u to it and she runs good.

13 psi at idle and 8-9 floored.

Thinking about stretching the spring a little?

And what is the life out of a holley black
Old 11-15-2007, 07:41 PM

How do you stretch the spring on the holleys.

I just put my holley black in last night, and well It is sweet, i ran braided line from the pump, my pump is mounted on the frame and i just cut my harness off the stocker and hooked it u to it and she runs good.

13 psi at idle and 8-9 floored.

Thinking about stretching the spring a little?

And what is the life out of a holley black
Old 11-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vrj
If the lift pump is on the block, you must bypass it. If the lift pump is in the tank, some use both pumps.

Mine had a retro in-tank pump added by the dealer and I'm running both for now. I'm dropping the tank soon to remove the in-tank pump and will then run on only one pump.
I'm running both the LP and Holley Blue with 1/2" lines all the way to the VP. I have 27 idle for almost 3 years no problems. The Holley is triggered off the LP via a relay. the only time my FP drops is when i run Bio, that's why i stopped. As i was filling up the truck i watched the FP drop right before my eyes.
Where i have my Holley

My FP before Fuel filter change.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 PM

I ran the Holley HP150.. it lasted about 5-6 months.. I thought the Grotor would have been the ticket.... not sure what killed it.. went through a few Carters in the same location.. back to a stock pump... FASS sitting in the shop for the past few months... I'll get to it one day....
Bryan
Old 11-16-2007, 08:08 PM

im runing the sumit black and the stock lift pump and it works great