Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Holley Blue Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bamadzl

What kind of feul gauge do you have ? is it electric or mecanical ? if it is electronic check all of your connections.If you keep having problems with it put you a tee in the discharge line at the pump and put a temparary gauge in to make shure it is correct You can also do like I do and put one on top of your feul filter.That way I can check preasure pre filter and post filter.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlue
That's the only problem I seem to have with holley's. The pressure spring sticks and it causes low pressure. Take some emery paper or very fine sand paper and LIGHTLY sand the plunger and bore and reinstall everything. Works everytime for me.
Block the bypass.....Holley sells the block off kit cheap....there is no need to mess with the spring - it should be deleted......our CTD's use a full flow return style fuel system that does not require the fuel pump to bleed off pressure through the bypass - it was intended for systems without return lines.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:41 AM

It appears that the pressure jumping around was a result of my wiring not making solid connection. I had "temporarily" spliced the two wires until I could do it during daylight. Saturday the fuel pressure gauge went to zero and I quickly pulled into a parking lot to fix it. Once I got home I made a good connection and (hopefully) weatherproofed it. All looks good now.

Any idea where I can buy the bypass blockoff??

By the way, thanks a ton for all the input.

Brad
Old 01-09-2006, 08:46 PM

I did not intall the regulator. I am not running the stock lift pump at all, just the Holley Blue on the frame.

When I first installed it, I was getting a constant 11 psi @ idle and 8 psi @ WOT.

I then stretched the spring in the pump which controlls the internal pressure regulation in the pump. I'm now getting about 16 @ idle and 12 @ WOT.

I'm going to look into blocking off the internal bypass as CTD NUT suggested.

Brad
Old 01-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Registered

when i first installed mine, it pegged my 15 psi guage and i could only bring it down to 13. during the first few weeks, the needle was smooth and moved slowly, like it should.

now, when i get on it the guage makes a lot of noise and jumps from 15 to 10 psi very very fast. How do i fix this? its driving me up the wall. has anybody else had this problem?
Old 01-10-2006, 07:23 AM

I will add that my pressure will jump around violently for the first few minutes after cranking. After that it calms down and doesn't move unless I give it throttle.

Brad
Old 01-27-2006, 07:47 AM

At it again

This morning my fuel pressure started jumping around again. It did it for my entire commute. It drives me nuts when it does this. I just can't stop looking at the gauge . CTD NUT had said earlier that Holley carried a block off kit for the internal regulator. The attached link is holley's fuel pump catalog. There are service parts/kits at the end. Can anyone help me find the kit that CTD NUT was talking about?

http://www.holley.com/data/Catalogs/Fuel%20Pumps.pdf

Thanks
Brad
Old 01-27-2006, 07:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you getting air into the system? Try double checking the clamps and retighten everything.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:01 AM

I will re-check the clamps before I leave work.

But..it was giving nice, steady pressure for about two weeks after I stretched the spring a little. I really think the spring and/or plunger is getting stuck. The pressure is jumping from about 13 to 20 psi. When it was running steady is was 16 @ idle and 12 @ WOT

I'm afraid it's going to damage my fuel pressure gauge. The needle jumps so hard that you can hear it.

Brad