Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Holley Blue, Not for Diesel Fuel!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got my holley run off of a 30 amp relay that is triggered by the stock lift pump harness. It pulses the pump just like factory one and has been for the last 4 years that I've been running an aftermarket pump.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:41 PM

That's sorta what I suspected, Blue - considering the length of time your system has been in use, that would appear to be the way to go for the lp upgrade
Old 09-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Banned

Has anyone put the "in-tank" lp in and feed the stocker under the hood? I wonder what that setup would produce? I wonder that the in-tank one cost? That seems to be the best of both worlds and should support the truck if one or the other fails. If you noticed a drop, you could just back out of it and check both pumps for failure. 'eh? Am I thinking too much about this? Sorry. I just like to do research four times and buy parts and install once.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Banned

Well, the in-tank conversion kit is $371.00 next door at Dodge. I'll buy a FASS before I buy a $400 pump from Dodge! Losers they are....

Axe that idea.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:53 PM

bigblue.
Did you mount the relay in the engine compartment. Did you just splice into the LP circit?
I am going to go to holley black to avoid he cost of LP and VPN failure.
Last question. pre-filter before the holley a good idea?
Thanks guy;s all good information.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soccerrefroy
bigblue.
Did you mount the relay in the engine compartment. Did you just splice into the LP circit?
I am going to go to holley black to avoid he cost of LP and VPN failure.
Last question. pre-filter before the holley a good idea?
Thanks guy;s all good information.
Big Blue was banned from this forum last year [I think]. When I install Pumps, I cut the harness at the stock fuel pump [pump side of plug]. Then run that wire to the relay. Yes, they mount on firewall.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 PM

Thanks JL I guess I did not notice bb had been axed from the forum.
I still want to leave my stock LP in line and seems like the pro comp pump will suffice as a helper to the trash Dodge installs. I am also going to install shutoff valves in front of and after the helper to avoid fuel leaking al over the place. I guess the pre-filtr is a good idea to avoid any nasty's being pulled into the pump .
More after the mod.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 PM

you can also go with a holley hp150 pump. that is what i have on mine. it is powerd by the ecm ( low amp draw), and gives 17psi. it is a gear rotor pump so reliability is better.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:39 PM

But I can pick up the pro comp for arround 50 bucks on Ebay. I dont know of a holley under 90 anywhere.
Thanks for the info tho.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:49 PM

i put one on my 99 i actually used bully dogs big fuel kit and i bypassed the stock lp using all the supplyed fittings but when i ran the power wire i ran it to a switch in the cab and before i crank the truck i let it run for a few seconds to "prime" the system then turn off the pump, crank truck and immeditly turn pump back on for me it works fine never really drops below 10psi at wot but i learned from the first pump on there to take out the little screen thats inside the holly blue the screen on the first one had a big hole in it and it jammed up the veins or impeller whatever u want to call it and burnt up my pump but so far 32000 miles and not a problem on the new pump with out the screen and remember to change ur filter regularly and i dont see why u would have problems with this pump some people have also suggested putting a pre pump inline filter but i have not done this
hope this helps good luck
Old 11-12-2008, 08:53 PM

ive prolly got 10k on my holly blue with a drag comp or adr. dont have a gauge but seems the fuel is there. i also have a switch to turn mine on in the cab. i let the stock pump feed the IP b4 start, start it, then turn the switch on. been fine as long as i remeber to turn the switch on. done that once on accident. prolly safer to put it on a relay, thats what i planned on but never got around to it!!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 PM

Thanks Olwhitey and Rebel.
I am sure I will go this route but I am going to install the relay. and a pre-filter I prefer to make sure stuff wont fry.
Any way the main resaon for all this as we all know is the failure rate of the LP and I was going to invest in gauges but at over 500.00 now for a 3 gauge set this seems a more inexpessive way to protect the VP44.
Also as another question, have any of you installed a second tranny cooler. Again the reason would be to not have to get the gauge to read the temps. Could a second one lower the temps to below what the tranny should opperate in?????
I guess any cheaper way to protect my haluer is what I am looking for. A pyro. seems to be the only other issue I need to deal with, but with the other 2 covered I think I can get in under a 100 bucks.
Again thanks for all the invaluable info.
I will post the mod once completed.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:56 PM

i want a secondary trans cooler for my 99 as well but imo i dont think any parts beat the ability to moniter whats going on under ur truck i know they are somewhat expensive but in the long run they are cheap in comparison to the repairs u might have to make all because u didnt have the gauges to monitor im sure even with a trans cooler things happen ie bad lines loose connections mystirious hole punched in secondary cooler etc and i think u can get all 3 gauges and the 3hole pod for less than 500 my brother ordered some cool ones from ebay for 200 shipped and they change colors while they are on if i can find another set i will post the link
it is better to know for sure what is going on than to hope u have the right parts for the job but again just my .02
Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02...spagenameZWDVW

here is the link for a 60 psi boost trans and pyro and the pod for 199.99 and free shipping this is an idendtical set as the ones my brother got they are cool and i thought about getting these but my 99 has the edge juice /attitude and i dont want to change the two gauges in my 96 thats 200.00 i could spend on dv's or go toward my 140hp ddp sticks or anything else lol
Old 11-12-2008, 10:09 PM

sorry i forgot my bros is an 01 as well and we drilled the intake horn for the boost and we had to get like 5 bucks in the proper fittings down at the local oreillys and on the back of the boost gauge its not a compression fitting like my autometer gauge was the hose just slips on and one night at the track he was running 50#s boost and blew the hose off the gauge so a little super glue on the fitting then slide the hose back on let dry and ur good to go have yet to blow it off again not sure if locktite would work but its worth a try
either way these gauges look awesome at night with them set to cycle colors they even look great when u have them on a steady color and the glass kinda has a magnifying effect which i think is helpfull bigger #s are good

Quick Reply: Holley Blue, Not for Diesel Fuel!?!?!?