Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Holley Blue, Not for Diesel Fuel!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought mine from autozone for like $115 and built my system using all -8 line and AN fittings. On my buddies truck we just used rubber fuel line and bought the fittings from lowes.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by banshee
All Holleys have an internal bypass.
I stand corrected. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:58 PM
Banned

Has anyone tried using a Holley Red? Seems that would be enough to me and keep from bypassing so much fuel all the time.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Banned

Just passing along research in case anyone cares.

Here is some info I found.

Someone mentioned to me to use a Procomp instead of a Holley (since they are almost half the price of a Holley). From what I read up on Procomp, their parts are interchangable with the "old" Holley design. Apparently, the newer Holleys have had a design change to help them to not fail like they used to. This is pasted from the Jeg's website.

A Major Re-Design!
Holley's Red, Blue and Black electric fuel pumps have recently received a major re-design to enable them to meet Holley's new standards for quality and performance. Proven to be winners over the years thanks to their lightweight (2.88 lbs.) design and ability to tolerate contaminated fuel. The pumps are powered by an extra-life, heavy duty, sealed-dry motor and feature a built-in relief valve for pressure compensation. A cleanable inlet filter screen cleans fuel as it travels between the 3/8'' inlet and outlet ports in the aluminum housing. The re-designed flow passages will considerably improve durability, significantly reduce amp draw and will eliminate the flow pulsation present in the old design. Eliminating the flow pulsation enable the new pumps to provide a more consistent and higher flow rate.

<on edit> I just got an email from Holley stating that the Procomp is a copy of the Holley design produced overseas and are not affiliated with Holley in any way. I think I'll support the USA on this one.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:05 PM
Banned

The holley red only puts out like 7psi and flows 90gph. Not near enough for a bombed cummins. Barely enough for a stocker.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
The holley red only puts out like 7psi and flows 90gph. Not near enough for a bombed cummins. Barely enough for a stocker.
But supporting the factory LP that would be enought to maintain 13-14 without bumping it up to 20+ PSI....? Are you inline with factory LP or did you axe it all together?
Old 09-20-2006, 04:09 PM

Axe it, go with the Blue if you're set on a Holley!

Chris
Old 09-20-2006, 04:12 PM
Banned

I axed all of my factory stuff. Only thing factory is my fuel filter. I ran -8 line from the tank to the injection pump, mounted the holley on the frame, and threw the stock LP as far as I could.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:41 PM

I'm thinking about the Holley Blue as well. I threw the stock LP as far as I could throw it too.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Banned

Eric what are you running right now?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:36 PM

Could be two major problems with using the Holley and Pro-Comp fuel pumps with your Cummins - empirical data appears to rule both out, or at least insignificant.

First, the ECM appears to regulate lift pump output based on start and run demand - possiblility the non-Dodge pumps would draw excess current, damaging the drive circuits in the ECM.

As no-one has reported any associated ECM failure resulting from using the Holley pump(s), it would appear that the drive requirement fits within the spec'ed capability of the ECM.

Or, the pump is not connected to the ECM, but wired seperately.

Second, seals required for gasoline service are usually of Buna-n, neoprene or Viton composition to resist the various additives, incl octane enhancers.

And now, alcohol - not even a component of low-sulpher Diesel fuel.

Diesel fuel enhancers require somewhat different seal composition.

Rotary seals, such as the one at the impeller housing to motor housing, usually consist of a ceramic rotary element with a highly polished flat sealing surface, bonded to a rubber seal in the center to seal to the motor\impeller shaft, and a stationary element.

The stationary element is usually of compressed carbon\graphite similar, also with highly polished seal surface, bonded to a rubber conformal element which tightly fits within the seal bore in the housing.

A spring behind the ceramic disk applies pressure to seal the rotating disk to the stationary element - the carbon\graphite provides low friction interface necessary to seal against pump output pressure.

This type seal functions well where the pumped liquid does not provide much lubrication, but does provide a cooling effect on the ceramic\carbon seal.

Waterpumps use similar rotary seals, and the antifreeze provides increased lubrication at the spinning seal interface.

If the rubber elements fail due to un-spec'ed fuel service - such as using Diesel fuel in a pump spec'ed for gasoline - there is the risk of fuel spillage and a potential risk of fire.

(That possibility may be increased when using gasoline in a pump spec'ed for Diesel, because of Diesel's natural lubricating quality - Diesel fuel is a light oil - and gasoline would not provide the required lubrication spec'ed by the design.)

So, there are several reasons why Holley does not recommend using their pumps in Diesel service, but the various members here with good service and no indicated failures would indicate that continued useage will not fail in Diesel fuel service or damage the Dodge\Cummins EFI system, if you duplicate their procedures and recommendations for installation.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:54 AM
Banned

gmctd. the only problem i have with my setup w/o the stock lp is the stupid check engine light.. nothing has been on the system for a year.plug just hangs next to where the pump used to be! no ecm problems yet. but i will be putting a campaign pump in soon just to ease my senses!

as for the holly seals. i think with some maintainence replace seals etc on a normal occation. wich we know wouldnt happen for lots of people. would help on possible problems also mabe replacing with diffrent compound! ( money possbility for someone wink wink) as for the fire danger i think its a cover your butt statement. wich is too common in these days of non-parenting and i blame you for my wrongs society!

just my 2 cents!
Old 09-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gmctd
If the rubber elements fail due to un-spec'ed fuel service - such as using Diesel fuel in a pump spec'ed for gasoline - there is the risk of fuel spillage and a potential risk of fire.
The "marine" pump option is a few more dollars and is the same exact pump as the Red, Blue, and Black, just with an extra port. This port should be plumbed back to the tank and is an emergency return line in case the pump and/or its seals fail. This is a coast gaurd requirement for boats so it won't fill up the engine compartment. This info was sent to me by Holley's Tech Support. Maybe getting the Marine version would be better? I asked about better seals and resistance to the environment, they said no, same exact pump with and extra drain.

$.15
Old 09-21-2006, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the input - I've been intending to look into the lift-pump drive circuitry in the ECM, but it's been secondary to some other projects.

It's gonna be rainy and stormy here this weekend, so that might be the best project for then.

FYI - I intended no advocation either way, just offering some info pertaining to Holley's stance on the matter.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gmctd
Thanks for the input - I've been intending to look into the lift-pump drive circuitry in the ECM, but it's been secondary to some other projects.

It's gonna be rainy and stormy here this weekend, so that might be the best project for then.

FYI - I intended no advocation either way, just offering some info pertaining to Holley's stance on the matter.
Well, if you use the stock circuit to trigger a relay, there would actually be less power consumption on the ECM than there would driving the stock pump, right? Surley the stock pump is driven by a relay anyway, huh? I'll look into that on the schematics.

Quick Reply: Holley Blue, Not for Diesel Fuel!?!?!?