Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Holley Blue, Not for Diesel Fuel!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holley Blue, Not for Diesel Fuel!?!?!?

I just recieved this reply from Holley's Tech support center. I just wondered how many of you are actually running Holley Blue's and have no problems with them.

Pasted:

HI,
thanks for your e-mail
Holley does not offer any pumps that will work with Diesel Sorry Thanks Ricky

Your question was:
Can you tell me if the Holley Blue pump will work for diesel fuel ok? All your specs only state gasoline. Is there any drawbacks or hazards using it for diesel fuel at the full 14 PSI. The stock lift pump drops to 4 PSI at the injection pump at wide open throttle (WOT). I would like to maintain at least 10 PSI or greater at WOT at the input of the injection pump. My research tells me this will prolong the life of my injetion pump (VP44). Many guys are running your Blue pumps on their trucks but I wanted you expert opinion. Thanks for your help and recommendations.

If you have further questions, please reply directly to this email with history without altering the subject line.

My next email to them:

Is there a reason they wouldn't perform properly? I know several guys
running
them on diesel fuel without any problems. Can you tell me if there was
any
research down with them using Diesel fuel? Can you steer me toward a
company
that makes diesel transfer pumps?

Thanks,

JWB

The reply:

All I know is Holley says it will not work
I do not know who makes one that will
I have talked to people that say ours work for them
But I do not know for how long
Thanks Ricky

Another question: Why does the stock LP operate at two different pressure cycles? 100% duty cycle when running and only 25% duty cycle when cranking? That seems strange. I got it from the tech manual for the truck.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Banned

sent you a pm 4x4.

capnram in montana, '99 ctd nv4500 has been running a holley blue from summit with a vulcan relocation kit for 1 year now, 8k miles. no problems.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:37 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4dually

Another question: Why does the stock LP operate at two different pressure cycles? 100% duty cycle when running and only 25% duty cycle when cranking? That seems strange. I got it from the tech manual for the truck.
High cranking fuel pressure can lead to hard starting when the VP inlet gets too much pressure.....the ECM reduces cranking FP at the lift pump to aid in easier starting.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
High cranking fuel pressure can lead to hard starting when the VP inlet gets too much pressure.....the ECM reduces cranking FP at the lift pump to aid in easier starting.
So I'm assuming that feature is controlled by the wire feeding power to the pump? What I'm getting at, if I replace the pump with something else and use the factory pump wires, I'll get the same feature?
Old 09-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Banned

CTD is right. To much pressure will cause hard starts - VP44 really doesn't like pressures over 20lbs. I have run 4 different pusher pumps and finally broke down and spent the money on a good FASS system and have been happy every since.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Banned

I've beem running my Holley blue for almost a year now and it works just as good as the day I installed it. Bigblue has been running his for I think 3 years without any issues........so I think it'd be safe to say that you should be fine throwing one in.

Bullydog makes a kit that has the holley blue for a pump and bigger lines......so you'd think if they'd offer that as a kit for a diesel it should work and it does.......that is the kit that I am running!

~Nick
Old 09-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Banned

Been running mine for 3 years. Still holding 10-11 at WOT with everything set on destroy.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The biggest problem with the Holley Blue is motor cooling, brush wear and motor bearing siezure. In this area the Carter pumps shine because fuel is circulated through the motor to cool and lubricate it.

Nice thing about the Holley is, for the most part, it can be taken apart for motor problems such as bearing siezure. You can't do that to a Carter.

It has no internal bypass, which is the biggest failure point of the Carters.

As long as the Holley is properly mounted with the pump down, there appears to be no problem with it pumping diesel. I believe the pump has all metal parts.

All this being said, I believe the Carter is still a better pump for our application.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04

capnram in montana, '99 ctd nv4500 has been running a holley blue from summit with a vulcan relocation kit for 1 year now, 8k miles. no problems.
1 year and 10k on mine. no problems yet. still 13-14 idle and 9@ wot
Old 09-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Banned

Thanks, guys!

Are most of you running them into the factory LP or taking the factory out? I have seen post showing excessive pressure while running them in series. I don't understand this because the Holly is set to dump at 14 psi and so is the factory? Does it compound like turbos some way? I'm a bit lost here when talking about running both pumps. Any ya's or na's?

I'd love a FASS, but so would most, but also not for $600! There is no doubt it is ONE of the best setups, but dang, sticker shock.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
I've beem running my Holley blue for almost a year now and it works just as good as the day I installed it. Bigblue has been running his for I think 3 years without any issues........so I think it'd be safe to say that you should be fine throwing one in.

Bullydog makes a kit that has the holley blue for a pump and bigger lines......so you'd think if they'd offer that as a kit for a diesel it should work and it does.......that is the kit that I am running!

~Nick
Yo, Nick-o-las. That bully dog kit is $379.00, if that is the same kit the old boy at BD just told me about. And he said it wouldn't support the truck by itself, only a factory LP helper. I sure didn't expect a $400 price tag on a helper pump!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Banned

I paid right over $200 bucks for mine from Jegs......I left my original LP in but honestly I don't think it even works anymore......so the Holley is doing all the work and seems to be working great!!

~Nick
Old 09-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
I paid right over $200 bucks for mine from Jegs......I left my original LP in but honestly I don't think it even works anymore......so the Holley is doing all the work and seems to be working great!!

~Nick
So the kit you bought actually has the Holley Blue pump in it? Heck, I'll just buy it from Autozone for $87 bucks. 'eh? I can scroung fittings and hose.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Banned

Might as well......that'd be the cheapest route!!

~Nick
Old 09-20-2006, 10:38 AM

All Holleys have an internal bypass. Simple ball and spring which opens at a set pressure (7 or 14 psi) depending on the pump. If you need a little more pressure you can stretch the spring. It's accessed by the large screw on the inlet side of the pump. FWIW, I have used a Holley feeding my stock LP since my truck was new (2 1/2 years+), and have only replaced one that failed. That failure was my fault because somehow (probably during a launch at the strip or going over a large bump) the front driveshaft impacted the bottom of the pump and concaved the bottom plate. That caused the impellar to contantly drag on the plate and burned the motor up. Now that I have the MITUSA the Holley's coming off since it's leaking around the bottom plate thanks to the high fuel pressure I run , but they have served me well.

Quick Reply: Holley Blue, Not for Diesel Fuel!?!?!?