Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Holley Black as a spare

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had mine on my truck for a little while. I ended up replacing it cause I thought it crapped out. Ended up being my fp sender for my gauge. The pump was quiet. I never even heard it even when the truck was off and I went to prime the system. There's a couple of guys on this board that have blue's on their trucks without any problems.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:37 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The Holley Blue I ran for over 50K miles was quiet and its still running strong on the 01 last I heard. It was in the stock position with my max flow set up. I might have been lucky as two blacks and the old version PE all died. Never had the chance to run the updated PE pump. Rod is testing that shortly on the 3rd gens with the new Max Flow for them.

Old 03-03-2004, 10:59 AM

BB,

yes, if you have -8AN lines, then the -8AN to 3/8npt adapters are all you need. Same for -6AN lines... get -6AN to 3/8 npt adapters. I have wasted 2 PE pumps, and my dad has wasted 3. I ran a custom setup on my truck for 5 months with NO problems, and dad has had his on for about two months now. Run a Holley Red behind a stock lift pump with big lines (-6 or -8AN) and weber carb adapters and you'll be set. Max pressure will be ~18-20 psi, and I never got mine below 10 (dad's won't go below 12). You can't hear the pumps (PEs can be crazy loud), and even if one should fail you have a backup. I'll be running a blue/stock combo on my '04 and have no worries about its reliability. I know several people who have run just the holley blue for more than 2 years.

John
Old 03-03-2004, 11:02 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by banshee
BB,

yes, if you have -8AN lines, then the -8AN to 3/8npt adapters are all you need. Same for -6AN lines... get -6AN to 3/8 npt adapters. I have wasted 2 PE pumps, and my dad has wasted 3. I ran a custom setup on my truck for 5 months with NO problems, and dad has had his on for about two months now. Run a Holley Red behind a stock lift pump with big lines (-6 or -8AN) and weber carb adapters and you'll be set. Max pressure will be ~18-20 psi, and I never got mine below 10 (dad's won't go below 12). You can't hear the pumps (PEs can be crazy loud), and even if one should fail you have a backup. I'll be running a blue/stock combo on my '04 and have no worries about its reliability. I know several people who have run just the holley blue for more than 2 years.

John
YUP...PE died and the Holley blue worked great.
You don't think the Weber adapters have too small of an inner diam then obviously with the success you have had. Cool. Another combo that works.
My 04 is getting the Blue too.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Banned

What's the difference between the Blue and the Black that makes the Blue that much better? My Black was on there for ~20K miles and was still doing fine when I removed it.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:21 PM

Scotty,

The Aeroquip adapters I run have a constant diameter through the whole inside of the adapter. I haven't measured them, but they really can't get much bigger because of the minor diameter of the M12 X 1.5 thread (which is 10.376mm or .408"). By the time you add enough meat for strength in the threaded area there really isn'y any way to get much bigger other than drilling out the M12 threads in the pump & filter housing. As a guess I'd say the hole is between 5/16 and 3/8, but I'll measure one to be sure.

BB,

I think the blue is perhaps a little more reliable because the motor draws less current (3 amps vs. 4.5 amps). I'm convinced that a high amp draw motor is a poor idea for a continuos duty pump. IMO the rated flow of the blue at pressure (about 90gph at 14 psi if I remember right) is plenty for our engines... especially when multiplied by the stock lift pump.

John
Old 03-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Banned

Would it be possible to do some kind of electrical trick that would reduce the power required by the black?
Old 03-04-2004, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Big Blue, Scotty and everyone on this thread:

I agree 100% with what you guys have said about
the Holley Black/Blue and Red Pumps. As my son, John
Jr. (banshee) said, we have DEFINITELY had our share
of problems with those PE 4200 pumps!!!! My last one
is out at Product Engineering right now getting the
"updates" you described. I am scared to use them now
because they have left me "on the side of the road"
twice now, once in Terre Haute, Ind. and once in Mt,
Vernon, Illinois!

At the advice of my son, we "retrofitted" my 2002
with the Holley Red Pump in line with the stock Dodge
lift pump and the big -8 lines which were already mostly
there with the PE set-up! As "banshee" said, my Westach
FP Gauge stays "pegged" at idle and NEVER has gone
below 13lbs. at WOT!! As "banshee" also said, the Holley
pump is quieter, and draws very low amps! I also know
that Mark Chapple @ TST ran a Holley Blue Pump on his
2001 Dodge CTD Dually 4X4 for almost two (2) years with
no problems whatsoever! At about $90.00 for the Holley
Red Pump, I could buy almost four (4) of them for what
one (1) of those PE 4200 pumps cost!!! The Holley Red
pump has already run longer than any of my PE's did!!

Anyway, good luck with the Holley Pump "Big Blue!"
I don't think you can go wrong with it.

----------
John_P
Old 03-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Banned

I'm hoping not. Here's a quick question. Say my Black craps out and I end up buying a Red or a Blue (probably a blue to match the truck ), will just that single pump be enough to fill up the -8 line and keep it filled and supply enough fuel to the VP44 by itself(under all conditions)? I really don't feel like going and cutting that braided line (talk about a PIA) and having to buy a stock lift pump and all new fittings and such. My truck is stock for now (no fueling mods) and I don't plan on adding any fueling mods for quite some time. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:07 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
BB- I'm running the blue for ehmm- some 80 000kms or more (danged disease with the name that escapes me at the moment ) without any problem. Enough fuel pressure wven with an edge pulse (roughly a comp on 4x4) and Don Ms EDM Mach 3s .
The line diameter doesn't make a difference in pressure in your case. It's just a function of what the pump can deliver and what the engine consumes (including backflow from cooling and lubing the VP and the injectors). Even if you went with a fuel line of 1ft diameter it would just take longer to get the air out, but then it would really be the same as your lines now or smaller ones.

AlpineRAM
Old 03-05-2004, 04:18 AM
Banned

So this sounds promising. I'm hoping to hear back from Holley about the rebuild kit for the black. Getting new brushes and complete new bottom end just to be safe. Thanks for all the help. I'm going to order the fittings probably next week along with the fittings to hook up my FP gauge.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:42 AM

A guy out here was running just a blue pump with a TST Pm3, stacked EZ box, and 100 horse injectors, and with -8 lines he could pull it down to 5 psi. He went with "my" Red/Stock combo and can't get below 14psi at WOT on the hottest setting. To answer your question, with your setup the blue will be just fine. Like Alpine mentioned, the line size is really more of a reservoir of pressurized fuel, and it really can't hurt the pump in any way. For the black, it will turn slower if you lower the voltage going to it, but you drop flow to the point where it really won't be much better than a blue pump. Hope this helps....

John
Old 03-05-2004, 07:30 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I think that lowering the voltage is not what BB wants to do because it doesn't reduce the amps the pump draws. I drive my blue through a relays.
AlpineRAM
Old 03-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Banned

I've got 2 40amp relays powering the PE pump right now. The trigger wire for that comes from the stock lift pump harness. I found out that if you try and prime the truck to much, it quits working for a while.