Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Holley Black as a spare

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holley Black as a spare

Here's my idea. I've got my old Holley Black from when I replaced it (the one I thought was broke but it turned out to be my sender). This christmas break, I'm gonna send my PE pump to Product Engineering to have them put their new bypass system on it. I don't want my truck to be down so I was thinking about using the Holley Black as a back up pump until I get the PE pump back in. I'm gonna have it shipped to Holley to let them rebuild it (or see if they don't have a rebuild kit I could do on my own). When I take my PE pump off, I'm going to put the Holley in it's place. Sounds like a good idea, right? When I get the PE back, I'll put it on the truck instead of the Holly.

I have some questions though. Will the fittings in the PE pump screw directly into the Holley (the in/out fittings) or will I have to buy new ones? Second, is the Holley gonna be able to support the amount of fuel flow that is needed to fill and maintain pressure on -8 braided line? Will the relay's I have set up right now (2 40 amp relays) be able to operate the Holley pump? Thanks for any info you can give me on this.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:37 PM

Re:Holley Black as a spare

I just replaced my factory lift pump with a Holley Blue on Monday along with a full line swap to -8 after the pump. I have been driving with no problems since. My presure guage reads 11psi at idle and cruise it will drop to 7 at WOT. I know it is off because I have some air trapped in the guage line to the sender (tonights project). I spliced directly into the factory lift pump wiring. So far so good, so I think you should be fine. If you ever need to do an emergency swap you will wish you had the fittings already in the pump. Its alot easier to deal with AN fittings on the side of the road than pipe fittings.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:40 PM

BB,

You're going to have to find new fittings for the Black pump. The PE takes 1/2" NPT, and the Holleys take 3/8" NPT. Just buy a couple of 3/8 NPT to -8 AN adapters for your Holley pump and you can plug it right in place. All of the wiring you have in place will be more than enough to run the Holley. The -8AN line won't be a problem. If anything, it gives you a bigger reserve of pressurized fuel over a small line. It'll take longer for your pressure to come up and to recover (after WOT for example), but it can handle it.

I'm carrying a blue pump at all times now... it's setup with the fittings and wires and is ready to go in case the PE should fail (again). I'm thinking of adding some quick disconnects on the wiring to speed the process even more.

John
Old 10-08-2003, 06:26 PM

Rebuilding your Holley pump is a piece of cake. You can buy parts through Jegs or Summit, or anywhere that sells Holley stuff.
If it was used and then let to sit for a while, I recommend taken it apart. Make sure the vanes are still free. They have a tendency to seize after sitting for some time. Holley web site may even have instructions, I can't remember for sure.
I was using Holley pumps on my drag car. I had to disassemble quite often to clean them up. If it is not used too much and not seized up very bad you don't even need to buy parts. The gaskets are rubber and can be reused. If it don't have alot of miles on it, I would just take the bottom cover off, clean the screen and everything. Make sure the vanes are free as well as the pressure relieve valve, and reassemble.
Holley pumps really hate water. I recommend anyone using one to have a prefilter installed.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Banned

Thanks for the fitting size Banshee. That's exactly what I was looking for. Did you send your PE back to them for the new bypass setup?

Rolngthun, I lost the pressure spring on the pump so I need to get a new one of those. The pump has been sitting in my bed for almost a month now in the rain and weather so it could probably use a little pepping up. It was on the truck for about 4 months. About 12K+ miles on it.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the fitting size Banshee. That's exactly what I was looking for. Did you send your PE back to them for the new bypass setup?
BB,

no problem. I had buy my pump from Advanced Auto and the fittings from a hardware store to get me going about a month ago when the PE decided to quit. The pump's out there right now getting redone. They have supposedly changed the cartridge design as well as the bypass setup. We'll see how it does....

John
Old 10-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Banned

Let me know how the new bypass and all work out. I'm really curious.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:15 AM

Holley pumps :P I just have to say that I wouldn't even consider one myself. After have a few crap out on my in my off-road trucks enough is enough. The problem is that they don't seal the motors and they get full of water and crap and destroy themselves. Do your self a favor and get a Carter pump, the best I have used so far, no problems after 3 years.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Banned

Well, considering I've got this pump just lying around, I figure I might as well use it. It was a good pump. 16 at idle and 13 at WOT (same pressures as my PE pump is doing right now). If I had known sooner that it was my sender, I wouldn't have replaced it.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:29 AM
Banned

Banshee, how are you mounting your blue? I've got the PE pump located on the frame right by the transmission and was wondering how you had your Holley mounted. Did you use the PE pump bracket? I've still got the bracket that came with the Holley Black change over kit.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:24 PM

BigBlue,

I'm using the same bracket for the blue as I did the PE pump... it just needs different holes. I'm using a piece of L-channel steel that's sanwiched between the frame and the crossmember. There is a 4 hole pattern for the PE, and a 2 hole pattern for the blue. I used the standard bracket that goes around the motor housing on the blue and bolted directly to my mounting plate. I have a picture of the PE pump on the truck (with the bracket). I used thick rubber washers between the pump and bracket to keep the noise/vibration down. The picture does more justice....

John

PS... I carry a spare pump and all the necessary tools to change it at all times now. I consider it a necessity for the 24Vs (bad, huh?). I plan on doing the same with a VP when I get some spare cash.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:10 PM
Banned

That's exactly how my PE is done. Right down to the rubber bushings. I know what you mean about the spare VP44. When I get the cash saved up, I'm gonna buy a spare one. It is pretty sad that we PROPERLYvalved people have to keep a spare fuel pump.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:58 PM

[quote author=Mopar_Mudder link=board=7;threadid=20725;start=0#msg194887 date=1065716156]
Holley pumps :P I just have to say that I wouldn't even consider one myself. After have a few crap out on my in my off-road trucks enough is enough. The problem is that they don't seal the motors and they get full of water and crap and destroy themselves. Do your self a favor and get a Carter pump, the best I have used so far, no problems after 3 years.
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean Mudder. I found the thing to do, is when you first get it, seal it with RTV around all the joints. And of course a prefilter.
I have had more race days ruined by Holley pumps. So now I use a Mallory Comp.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:45 AM
Banned

Re: Re:Holley Black as a spare

Originally posted by banshee
BB,

You're going to have to find new fittings for the Black pump. The PE takes 1/2" NPT, and the Holleys take 3/8" NPT. Just buy a couple of 3/8 NPT to -8 AN adapters for your Holley pump and you can plug it right in place.

John
Alright. I know I posted this a long time ago but I'm just now getting the money to do it. So all I would need to buy fitting wise is 2, 3/8" to -8an male adapters and it should screw right in place, right? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I can think about is all the times I've been at the track and seen people walking around with their Holley blues in hands looking for parts or a loaner. I don't think I would use one on a vehicle I had to rely on daily, plus they are ignorant loud. Interesting recommendation above on the Carter pump, that's who supplies DC with these fabulous lift pumps on our trucks.

Quick Reply: Holley Black as a spare