Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hit (1) psi fuel pressure today

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit (1) psi fuel pressure today

Guess it's time for a lift pump. Was pulling the bobcat, went to accelerate and it went from five down to one, slowly went back up to about four. Scared the hell out of me. I guess I'll order one from napa, and just leave the old one hanging on the block. I've got the vulcan big line kit sitting here in my office, so now's a good time to hook it up. Reckon napa's a good source for a replacement, or should I go with something different? Haven't searched the threads for brand names, remember something about a holley blue or something like that. Glad I've got that new gauge, that could have been bad.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
IMHO just get a FASS II and stop worrying about the crap stock LP's. Do it once and forget about it.

Just be glad you have a FP guage to tell you the LP is weak. Good on you!
Old 03-22-2006, 08:08 PM

After I posted I searched fass, and found a system for about $580. Sound about right? I guess I could just sell the vulcan kit. How hard is it to install the fass system? I'll probably have to take it to the western star shop for that too (add another $580). My mechanic skills are bordering on zero. However, I am fully certified to locate AND unplug the map sensor now, as well as the diagnostic port. I studied and practiced these activities for about 2 hours while installing the v5, and bet I could do it in about 3 minutes now. Also, I am skilled at using a flat screwdriver to straighten bent fins on intercoolers and radiators, I practiced that a lot too after the v5 incident.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Registered

go to the dealer and get the in-tank pump and you can see that # ALOT and even LOWER
Old 03-23-2006, 12:32 AM

A local cummins dealer would be less than napa ($200 1 year warrenty). Here's one: http://www.hoeslidiesel.com/specials.htm

Mr Geico was refering to the less expensive fass 2 pump which is more like $400 with a 4 year warrenty.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:13 AM

$400 isn't bad. That would probably be the way to go if you don't have to worry about it after that. I've got to do something about it right away.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my psi @ 0 for 2weeks now but no 0216 code which believe it or not I'm waiting for because I'm still under warrenty. Ya I'm gonna get a intank but its free plus later on I'll install the new inline LP from Cummins (p/n: 4090046). The intank is OK if you have it stock which I do for now, I have and Edge Comp but I'm not gonna hook it up until after warrenty. The FASS sounds like a good system but the location of it on the frame rail isn't good for my area as we have salt for winter and would get chewed up in 1 winter season.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Timberman
$400 isn't bad. That would probably be the way to go if you don't have to worry about it after that. I've got to do something about it right away.
FASS web page here... dealers listed too.
Nice system...last one you'll need!
http://www.dieselpp.com/

RJ
Old 03-23-2006, 11:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Phatboy
A local cummins dealer would be less than napa ($200 1 year warrenty). Here's one: http://www.hoeslidiesel.com/specials.htm

Mr Geico was refering to the less expensive fass 2 pump which is more like $400 with a 4 year warrenty.

Heck, for that money you could be a REAL performance pump:

800lb/hr (@45psi!)

Up to 95psi!!

diesel rated

Don't forget the regulator, no matter which pump you buy.....

JH
Old 03-23-2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by DieselDude
Ya I'm gonna get a intank but its free plus later on I'll install the new inline LP from Cummins (p/n: 4090046).
I just talked to a guy from a near by Cummins shop about a lift pump and gave me the part number to the new and improved lift pump: 4932707. He told me when they first put this out it was for bus application only and wasn't sold to Dodge owners. Now, obviously you can buy it. The price he gave me was around $160. Just some interesting facts. I'll look into it and post what I find.

Eric
Old 03-23-2006, 12:27 PM

FASS or HPFP would work well for you. The install is not hard at all. Even for someone that just found the MAP sensor! You have TONS of people on here that have done installs (including myself) that can assist you with any questions you would have. I am starting to find out TONS and TONS of R&D went into this thing we call the FASS!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by DieselDude
The FASS sounds like a good system but the location of it on the frame rail isn't good for my area as we have salt for winter and would get chewed up in 1 winter season.

This is what I worry about being I live in Northern Utah and up here we love salt . How do these pumps hold up to the weather?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:02 PM

All the billet stuff is alum, and the pumps are pretty well sealed. The filters might see a bit of rust...but i would guess that you would catch any issues before they started leaking. The fuel filter is a Hydro. filter...lil thicker shell. I would recomend making some sort of a spash sheild if it was a big issue with you. Not to mention wash it off when done driving....but honestly road salt has not been an issue.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:22 PM

Well, I sort of forgot about the low pressure and launched onto the highway today, sucked the psi down to about 1/2. Went to napa and simply told them what I wanted. I had 3 conversations going on, with the guy behind the counter and 2 other customers, so I didn't pay as much attention as I should have. The pump I bought ($246) is napa part # P74213, made by carter. Sound right? Figured tomorrow I'd take it and my big line kit, lay under the truck, soak myself in fuel and patent new creative profane phrases. My uncle was in the navy during the Vietnam war (in the boiler room), and is an excellent coach. Some of his phases combine eloquently into profane paragraphs, and are truly masterpieces. An art form, in fact.

I didn't realize about the new cummins pump that EGaskamp mentioned. Crap. I don't even know if I have the correct replacement. Don't know if I can take it back if it isn't right or if there's a better pump. Help, lift pump guru's! Will the one I bought get me back on the road?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Heck, for that money you could be a REAL performance pump:

800lb/hr (@45psi!)

Up to 95psi!!

diesel rated

Don't forget the regulator, no matter which pump you buy.....

JH
Justin, do you have any more info on that Aeromotive pump? Definitely interested. Thx.

Quick Reply: Hit (1) psi fuel pressure today