Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

High Idler

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:High Idler

You have to turn the heat on when it is 70*? ???

Thats just wrong
Old 08-07-2003, 08:25 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey....70 degrees is COLD compared to what we've got right now. ;D
Old 08-07-2003, 08:53 PM

[quote author=Jack Thorpe link=board=7;threadid=17999;start=30#msg169440 date=1060267375]
[quote author=Dr. Evil link=board=7;threadid=17999;start=30#msg169307 date=1060233351]
I still think you are better off with a simple high idle switch - such as the one from Harold Bowers[/quote]

I've tried that, but nobody can reach the guy. Is there anyone here who has contact info available for him?
[/quote]

Jack, I posted Harold Bowers' (Cubby) e-mail on page 2 of this thread. The following is a copy of that post. I don't think he'd mind if I put his phone # publicly but haven't actually been given permission to. I know I can give it to you PM.

Quote Bearfoot from earlier in the thread: I got a fast idle from "Cubby", Harold Bowers, at NWBombers. He installed it for me for less than $100. I think he will mail the kit with complete instructions. It works in either Park or Neutral and automatically releases when you put it in gear. It is not dependant on temps., etc. Works with a solenoid and relay. You turn it on with a "one way" switch. It works very well and I love it.

I always start my truck in neutral, wait about 15 - 20 seconds for the oil pressure to build and the oil to circulate, then set it on the high idle - mines set at 1150 RPM - for at least 2 mins., more in the winter. When we are having hot weather, as we are now, I often leave it running for the A/C and the same in the winter when it's cold for the heater.

You can e-mail Harold at rvhvnfn@juno.com or PM me for his phone number.

Stan
Old 08-07-2003, 09:21 PM
yz

Here is something I just found. http://dodgeram.org/tech/engine/idle_contrl.htm -Anthony
Old 08-07-2003, 10:17 PM

OK..... I just talked to Harold Bowers on the phone. I also sent him an e-mail which went through - no prob. At this time he is only making them for the 24 valve as he has not been able to find a solenoid strong enough for the 12v.

The prices are $45.00 + $6.00 shipping for the stick shift.
65.00 + 6.00 shipping for the autos.
Complete instructions included.

Phone: 208/459-7849
E-mail: rvhvnfn@juno.com (everything in lower case letters)

Just to reiterate; I love mine. It is simple. It always works. It can be adjusted to run at any speed. It does not rely on temperatures - air or engine. It is not plugged into any computer or anything else that can be used to void the warranty of the vehicle. It is "electric over mechanical". Electric from the switch, through a relay to the solenoid, which mechanically holds the throttle open. When it is set it stays there indefinitely until either it is put in gear (either F or R) or the engine is turned off.

HTH. Good luck to you all. If you get it, you'll like it.

Harold is a farmer and has been "haying" the last few days. You can leave a message on his voice mail and he will return your call. Don't forget...we are in the Mountain time zone. 2 hours behind Eastern, 1 hr. behind central, and 1 hour Before Pacific.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:11 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I e-mailed Mr. Bowers to get more info. Sounds like it might have some potential. How easy is the installation??

For now...I've cut myself a high tech high idling stick that holds me right at 1200 RPM's.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hoss, My " high tech" stick has an old crutch end on it. Place that on the power seat, an presto, adjustable idle.
Ed
Old 08-08-2003, 02:30 PM

[quote author=Hoss link=board=7;threadid=17999;start=45#msg169850 date=1060348311]
How easy is the installation??[/quote]

1 hr. at the very most - if you're slow as I am.
The worst for me is the routing of the wiring to the switch; I like my "add on" wiring to look as factory as possible.

I put the switch on the lower part of the dash panel just left of the steering wheel. Lot of blank space there. I put the "on" indicater light on the right side of the steering wheel. I personally don't think the light is necessary - I can tell the engine is on fast idle without the light and you don't manually turn it off, it automatically goes off when put into gear.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:44 PM

Try an air/con kick up solenoid off of about an 82-85 pontiac car.....One has a brass bracket thqat you have to modify the hole about a 32nd of an inch and bolts right on, adjustable at the solenoid and just a power/ground switch... Worth 59 bucks brand new, 20 minutes to complete, or 4 bucks at a Pick a Part junkyard.... If anyone interested Ill get the part # off. Works dandy....

Brad
Old 08-08-2003, 02:44 PM

Are there any wires to cut to install and how does it work? Does it kick up when you manually turn the switch on and kick down when you put it into gear? Also what rpm's does it set it at?
Old 08-08-2003, 02:51 PM

no wires to cut, just give it a ground or power, which ever, you could also hook up a relay/momentary switch to the brake, so when it sees the brake get juice, it disconnects the ground/power once, then you need to rearm the solenoid(connect power to it again) to activate it... Im pretty capable of flipping a swtich to kick it off before i drive so i dont go to those great lengths...you can set it to any rpm you want, manually....I use about 1400 or so cause its cold up here in winter....Its definatly the best setup for cheap, (cept for the 1.00 special from home depot)

Brad
Old 08-08-2003, 05:22 PM

alright so how do we go about getting one of these? Just call him?

Also do you have a pic of yours? and it must just plug into the comp somewhere right, then an ground?
Old 08-08-2003, 05:59 PM

Cumminsdude,
Sounds like you're talking to me instead of Bradtothebone.

If so, there are still no wires to splice. It is basically the same thing Bradtothebone described. Very simple and easy to install.

You can call or e-mail him, either one. If he doesn't answer the phone leave a message and a number he can return.

Stan
Old 08-08-2003, 06:11 PM

Guess I should have read your questions better.

Yes, when you turn the switch on it kicks up, then back down when you put it in gear. You can set it for any RPM.
One thing...you run the RPM up above what you have it set for using the throttle, flick the switch on then take your foot off the accelerator. The solenoid does not have the power to push the accelerator but it will hold it very nicely.

I don't have a pic. no digital camera. It does not tap into the comp or any other part of the truck. One wire hooks up to a grounding screw on the tranny and that is what shuts the solenoid off when the truck is put in gear.

Stan

Quick Reply: High Idler