Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

High Idler

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 10:00 PM
yz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:High Idler

So is there anything out there for 12v truck? I am using a maglite flash light but might just do what shovelhead has done. -Anthony
Old 08-06-2003, 10:32 PM

Whats an RR 4?

Also do you guys think its worth it for me to have the dealer activate it? I live in NY and it gets kinda chilly here in the winter but I dont know. What do you guys think? What does it cost anyway?
Old 08-07-2003, 12:15 AM

I still think you are better off with a simple high idle switch - such as the one from Harold Bowers - works well and is pretty cheap (likely cheaper than the reflash from Dodge, which may or may not work)

Ive got the Cummins high idle switch, its adjustable and works pretty well. I also have an Espar heater - this thing is unbelievable. These heaters are expensive, but if you live in a cold climate they are worth every penny. They are German Engineered and use high quality parts. You can set it to come on 2 hours before you go to work, you get into an already warm truck, the windows are defrosted as well. Fire the truck up you're ready to go in a matter of a couple of minutes. Theoretically you should never have to plug in again. Ive used it -30 deg Celcius with no problems. It burns a litre of diesel for every 8 hous of operation - so its much cheaper than plugging in.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:54 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=ARAcummins link=board=7;threadid=17999;start=15#msg169247 date=1060225179]Best thing I have done to my pickup so far.
Heath
[/quote]

Best thing YOU have done?? I thought we were talking about the FACTORY high idler now?? Jack was asking if the FACTORY one would work on a stick...which I'd like to know myself.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:58 AM

I think I'm gonna follow suit with Shovelhead and just make myself a stick that pushes against the seat. Then I can just use the automatic seat to either raise or lower the RPM's. It's not ideal.....but when you compare the cost of a piece of closet rod to a high tech high idler......well, there's no comparison.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:03 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

And the best part about the stick is no matter what the temperature, brake position, phases of the moon, or what radio station your listening to......... ;D

Low Tech Works
Old 08-07-2003, 09:05 AM

Agreed Hoss.....winters in Texas are different than the ones we experience in Canada. The chunk of dowling or hammer handle works great for many people.

I know a few people that have had the high idle reflash and have had problems. Sounds like its not necessarily reliable.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:11 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine stays under the center console seat.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:45 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

As a word of caution..... DO NOT! ask the wife to sit in the truck in the dead of winter, to step on the throttle a bit and warm your truck.

The mere asking of such a thing has very negative results with the harmony in your home
Old 08-07-2003, 10:02 AM

Now we know what happened to Top.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:06 AM

[quote author=Jack Thorpe link=board=7;threadid=17999;start=15#msg169243 date=1060224416]
[quote author=Mexstan link=board=7;threadid=17999;start=15#msg169237 date=1060223473]
Have been following this thread with interest. If you read condition 3 in the TSB that Hoss posted and then the other posts it appears that the fast idle will only work on automatics. Anybody with a standard live in the colder climates that have ever had the fast idle kick in? Or am I reading something into this that is not there?
[/quote]

I think you're right. Since the sticks can't send a message to the computer that it's in park, the high idle wouldn't work, I guess. I'm not sure if that's really the case, but it sounds like it to me. Anyone out there know for sure?
[/quote]High idle worked great for me this past winter. Last I looked, its a stick shift.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:58 PM

Agreed Hoss.....winters in Texas are different than the ones we experience in Canada. The chunk of dowling or hammer handle works great for many people.
Hehehe....winters in Texas?? Did you not see the "Texas Weather" thread?? ;D I primarily want this for extended idling periods...which I do a lot. When I drive over to Sonic to eat lunch....and it's 109 outside....I like to leave the truck running so the AC can keep me nice and cool. From what I gather, sitting there for 30 minutes with your truck idling isn't a good idea. Raise the RPM's up and you don't have a problem. I'm sure it will also be good for when it drops down in the 70's and I have to go out early and let my heater start warming up....but that won't happen until January.

My problem is that I'm always losing my idle stick
Hehehe.....must resist....must resist....must resist. ;D

As a word of caution..... DO NOT! ask the wife to sit in the truck in the dead of winter, to step on the throttle a bit and warm your truck.
You mean that doesn't work?? ???

Quick Reply: High Idler