Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

High Idler

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:High Idler

What does it do? Does it kick it up to a higher idle when the engine gets below a certain temp or does it automatically just idler higher until you press the brake?

edit: uhhh maybe I should read the information on the link before posting a stupid question like this

Sorry
Old 08-05-2003, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried to have mine enabled by the dealer, twice.

No dice.

Come cold weather, I'll attempt it again, different dealer.

Till then, my extendable snow brush works just peachy.
Just can't brush the snow off and have high idle at the same time. :

phox
Old 08-06-2003, 01:24 AM

I'll ask mine and see what they say. If your truck is up to temp does it still kick the idle up when you put it in park? Thats what I understand and too bad it does.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:00 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From that TSB link:

Once enabled, idle speed will slowly ramp up from 800 rpm to 1200 rpm when all of the following conditions are met:

1. Intake Manifold Temperature less than 0°C (32°F) and,
2. Coolant Temp is less than 60°C (140°F) and,
3. The Transmission is in Neutral or Park and,
4. The Service Brake pedal is not depressed and,
5. Throttle = 0% and,
6. Vehicle Speed = 0 mph

Criteria #1 pretty much eliminates mine from ever working. It only drops below 32 degrees here about 10 days out of the year (if we have a cold winter).

I still want something that I can turn on myself....so I can run in the grocery store and leave my truck running and what not (locked of course).
Old 08-06-2003, 10:27 AM

Right but does it only work if criteria #1 is met also or does it just kick it up when put in park like criteria # 3
Old 08-06-2003, 11:24 AM

ALL 6 of those conditions must be met for it to work at all...
Old 08-06-2003, 11:33 AM

[quote author=TPilaske link=board=7;threadid=17999;start=15#msg168971 date=1060187057]
[/quote]

DUDE, I am an idiot! I should really pay more attention to this stuff.

So what your saying is if u let your truck idle and you have that feature turned on and it doesnt kick up to a higher idle then you are fine, its not hurting it or creating piston wash?
Old 08-06-2003, 11:35 AM

I got a fast idle from "Cubby", Harold Bowers, at NWBombers. He installed it for me for less than $100. I think he will mail the kit with complete instructions. It works in either Park or Neutral and automatically releases when you put it in gear. It is not dependant on temps., etc. Works with a solenoid and relay. You turn it on with a "one way" switch. It works very well and I love it.

I always start my truck in neutral, wait about 15 - 20 seconds for the oil pressure to build and the oil to circulate, then set it on the high idle - mines set at 1150 RPM - for at least 2 mins., more in the winter. When we are having hot weather, as we are now, I often leave it running for the A/C and the same in the winter when it's cold for the heater.

You can e-mail Harold at rvhvnfn@juno.com or PM me for his phone number.

Stan
Old 08-06-2003, 12:21 PM

[quote author=Jack Thorpe link=board=7;threadid=17999;start=15#msg168977 date=1060188094]
[quote author=Cumminsdude link=board=7;threadid=17999;start=15#msg168974 date=1060187633]
[quote author=TPilaske link=board=7;threadid=17999;start=15#msg168971 date=1060187057]
[/quote]

DUDE, I am an idiot! I should really pay more attention to this stuff.

So what your saying is if u let your truck idle and you have that feature turned on and it doesnt kick up to a higher idle then you are fine, its not hurting it or creating piston wash?
[/quote]

No, that's not the case. You could still be creating problems if the high idle function doesn't come on. I think the requirements for its activation are too stringent. It's great for the winter, but does you no good any other time. I would rather have a manual high-idler, or something like Ford has when you push in the parking brake.
[/quote]

Ok, I understand and I agree. A high idler activated by the e-brake is a great idea. Both our ambulances have this option and they are ford. Anyone know of a kit for a dodge?
Old 08-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=Jack Thorpe link=board=7;threadid=17999;start=15#msg168977 date=1060188094]No, that's not the case. You could still be creating problems if the high idle function doesn't come on. I think the requirements for its activation are too stringent. It's great for the winter, but does you no good any other time. I would rather have a manual high-idler, or something like Ford has when you push in the parking brake.
[/quote]

I wish they'd set it in the PCM of the Dodges where if your truck was at idle for longer than 5 minutes the high idle automatically kicked in....and THEN it would only shut off if you either tapped the brake, put it in gear or tapped the accelerator. It shouldn't be dependent on temperature at all in my opinion. That sounds simple enough. Why can they not do that??
Old 08-06-2003, 09:12 PM

Good question Hoss... I too agree that all those conditions are ridiculous! Even with how cold it get's up here, not Scotty penguin cold, but close enough and sometimes below the goose egg, it still didn't kick on all the time after sitting all day at work. It's garaged at night and plugged in so that's fine. But I would assume out in those temps for a good 8 hours it should cool off enough... : Ohhh well....

Tony
Old 08-06-2003, 09:31 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

Have been following this thread with interest. If you read condition 3 in the TSB that Hoss posted and then the other posts it appears that the fast idle will only work on automatics. Anybody with a standard live in the colder climates that have ever had the fast idle kick in? Or am I reading something into this that is not there?
Old 08-06-2003, 09:59 PM

[quote author=Jack Thorpe link=board=7;threadid=17999;start=15#msg169243 date=1060224416]
[quote author=Mexstan link=board=7;threadid=17999;start=15#msg169237 date=1060223473]
Have been following this thread with interest. If you read condition 3 in the TSB that Hoss posted and then the other posts it appears that the fast idle will only work on automatics. Anybody with a standard live in the colder climates that have ever had the fast idle kick in? Or am I reading something into this that is not there?
[/quote]

I think you're right. Since the sticks can't send a message to the computer that it's in park, the high idle wouldn't work, I guess. I'm not sure if that's really the case, but it sounds like it to me. Anyone out there know for sure?
[/quote]

That is a big negative driver , works just fine on my five speed. Ten minutes or so, maybe a little more and the engine temp is up to normal, warm in the cab, ice and snow off of the mirrors and windows. I go out and start it in the morning go in have a cup of coffee catch the weather and ready to go. Best thing I have done to my pickup so far.
Heath

Quick Reply: High Idler