Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

High Idle after Washer Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Idle after Washer Mod?

Hello All,

First time poster, long time lurker....

I just did the washer mod today and I have an issue with high idle. The engine wants to idle around 1500RPM?? The idle will come back down with a little bit of load; even hitting the brakes and turning on the A/C will make it slowly idle down. In gear it will idle down. However, if you blip the throttle with no load it wants to stay at high idle. Another interesting note is that the actual low idle is a little bit lower than it was before. Probably 100RPM or so.

I have read that this can be a problem on some pumps, but have not read what the fix is. Is it possible to increase or decrease pressure just a little on one or both spring sets? Maybe a spring is rubbing on the washer?

I also moved the fuel plate and AFC forward at the same time. The new power and RPM is great and the truck responds very nicely now. However this high idle worries me....is there any chance of run away?

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:55 PM

some one correct me if im wrong but i think you need to loosen your spring nut about 1/4 turn
Old 10-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned

Try the idle adjustment on the side of the pump directly under the throttle linkage, if nothing else it would be easier than pulling the plug off the pump again...
Old 10-05-2007, 09:04 PM

Make sure your washers are not hanging up on the outer spring. With the washer mod the washers can not exeed 1.00 i believe outside. If they are there is a good chance it will hang up. As for your Idle,,, yes when i first did mine it had a higher idle, had to adjust springs a click or so both ways to get it right.. I have since changed both trucks over to the real GSK3000 kits, I liked the washer mod, as the price was right,, but to me, I didnt like the touchy throttle pedal with the washers. I have to idle my truck somedays and its almost impossible with the washers to get it to around 1200 rpm without it revving up. Also you will notice the cruise control dont work the best with the washers,, Mine if you set it to 65 mph,, it would go to about 72 mph and then slowly a few miles it would drop back to 65. I suggest if you can afford the 120.00 or so for the real kit , DO IT you wont regret spending the money.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Muddin_dude06
Try the idle adjustment on the side of the pump directly under the throttle linkage, if nothing else it would be easier than pulling the plug off the pump again...
I can adjust the lower idle speed like that, but it is not going to fix the hanging high idle at 1500. That is the part I am worried about. Basically, it requires a little bit of load to get it to return to low idle.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawStorm
Make sure your washers are not hanging up on the outer spring. With the washer mod the washers can not exeed 1.00 i believe outside. If they are there is a good chance it will hang up. As for your Idle,,, yes when i first did mine it had a higher idle, had to adjust springs a click or so both ways to get it right.. I have since changed both trucks over to the real GSK3000 kits, I liked the washer mod, as the price was right,, but to me, I didnt like the touchy throttle pedal with the washers. I have to idle my truck somedays and its almost impossible with the washers to get it to around 1200 rpm without it revving up. Also you will notice the cruise control dont work the best with the washers,, Mine if you set it to 65 mph,, it would go to about 72 mph and then slowly a few miles it would drop back to 65. I suggest if you can afford the 120.00 or so for the real kit , DO IT you wont regret spending the money.
Thanks. The truck is actually an 87 Chevy, so cruise control is only a pipe dream. The washers measured right aroudn 1.02 OD, but they are not precision so there could be highs or lows. I guess I could pull them out and make a round around them with a grinder and take them down a bit. I did also notice the touch throttle, but it did not seem to be a problem. However, I only did one test drive. I will spend the money if I can not get this idle thing fixed.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Banned

If you go to Lowes and get some 12mm washers they have the perfect ID (1/2") and they are just a smidge under 1" OD (I think around 7/8") and the thickness is much more uniform... When I had a hanging Idle it was fixed by lowering the idle with that adjustment... I have had that problem even with the 4gsk.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Muddin_dude06
If you go to Lowes and get some 12mm washers they have the perfect ID (1/2") and they are just a smidge under 1" OD (I think around 7/8") and the thickness is much more uniform... When I had a hanging Idle it was fixed by lowering the idle with that adjustment... I have had that problem even with the 4gsk.
Okay, cool. I dont have a Lowes, but I bet Ace will have them. I might even have some in my bolt bin.

I am still not understanding lowering the idle to fix the hanging idle. If I lower it any more, when it is at true idle it will most likely die. It will idle down right now and it will stay at a low idle once it gets there. It just hangs when reved with no load. Even the A/C compressor kicking in is enough to lower it. I am new to working on these things, so there may be something I am not understanding. The idle adjustment I am thinking of is the throttle stop. Is there another adjustment?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:32 AM

I tryed going out one click and that made the problem much worse, so I went the other way. In two clicks set the idle very high initially, but I was able to lower it with the throttle stop screw. It works like it should now.

Thanks for the help.