Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

High Idle??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Idle??

I have a Smarty for my truck and keep it set on level 9.. There have ben numerous days where its been below freezing in the 20's and teens sometimes even.. The high idle feature hasn't kicked on at all yet except one time. When is it supposed to?
Old 02-10-2007, 03:39 PM

I am not sure at what temps but mine kicks in every morning. Sometimes it is a high idle. And then when it gets really cold it cuts to the three cylinder idle.
Sounds like the truck is going to come apart. My neighbors dont like me in the morning but nothing i can do.
Old 02-10-2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Awall
I have a Smarty for my truck and keep it set on level 9.. There have ben numerous days where its been below freezing in the 20's and teens sometimes even.. The high idle feature hasn't kicked on at all yet except one time. When is it supposed to?
It was in the high 20's here for a couple of days in January and mine went to high idle twice. You didn't push the clutch or the brake in again after you started it or touch the accelerator did you? From what I know, that will turn the function off.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:10 PM

Wow, the Smarty has a High Idle setting?? Shoot, I did't know that. I guess that sure beats the plunger stick jammed between thew seat and the throttle
Old 02-10-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by BigBRUNO4
Wow, the Smarty has a High Idle setting?? Shoot, I did't know that. I guess that sure beats the plunger stick jammed between thew seat and the throttle
haha yea it does , but no i turn it on an go back in the house for a minute and it never comes on
Old 02-10-2007, 11:26 PM

same goes for the smarty high idle same as the dodge specs, it just turns it on. you have to rember that the intake temp is taken After the Grid heater, so after the two toaster dual toaster ovens. but ya . for mine to kick in the temp out side has to below 5 degrees for mine . and the truck has to be ice cold. and not been pluged in.

Once enabled, idle speed will slowly ramp up from 800 rpm to 1200 rpm when all of the following conditions are met:

1. Intake Manifold Temperature less than 0°C (32°F) and,
2. Coolant Temp is less than 60°C (140°F) and,
3. The Transmission is in Neutral or Park and,
4. The Service Brake pedal is not depressed and,
5. Throttle = 0% and,
6. Vehicle Speed = 0 mph

Additionally, if Intake Manifold Temperature (IMT) is less than -9°C (15°F), and all of the parameters above are met, three of the cylinders will be shut off upon reaching 1200 rpm, creating a slight change (yea right!) in engine sound which is normal. This allows the engine to create increased heat in the cooling system, allowing more rapid engine warm up and cab heating.

Both features will automatically disable when one of the following occurs:

1. The Automatic Transmission is placed in gear (forward or reverse) or,
2. The Service Brake pedal is depressed or,
3. Throttle position is greater than 0% or,
4. Vehicle Speed is greater than 0 mph or,
5. Coolant Temperature is greater than 79°C (175°F).

Engine speed will return to normal operation at 800 rpm. If the engine continues to idle and coolant temperature is at or below 60°C (140°'F), the feature will reenable. In order to operate properly, the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS) must stay at idle.