Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

high idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high idle

I uninstalled the smarty and still have the high idle. Is this right? Also when it revs to 1200 rpm it drops down to 1150 and the motor makes a heck of a racket. Is this normal? One more question is how long is safe to let the thing idle that high?
Thanks
Dan
Old 12-08-2006, 09:16 AM

You might have the 3 cylinder enabled. It is a setting that is for warm up, it run on only 3 cylinders. Not sure how you would check for it.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:18 AM

But I have the stock program back in the truck. Or does it load this to the stock program permanently?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Banned

yes when it reloads the stock program it gives you the best/latest stock program which has high idled enabled.

can anyone tell me if the high edle works with smarty loaded in the ECM.

im running SW3 and i dont get the high idle and it was 19* this morning. ill put it back to stock in order to get the high idle if it will work.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Works at any setting... don't have to be at stock!
Twodiesels-The Smarty permanently reflashes the ECM. Stays in the ECM even if you remove Smarty Fueling. And the 3 cylinder high idle is part of the reflash. Just has to be at <15* (as sensed by the IAT) before it goes to 3 cyl.

RJ
Old 12-08-2006, 01:03 PM
Banned

mine dont work

started 3 times in sub 20* temps with smarty loaded and no high idle, parking brake set, truck in neutral, nobody touching brake pedal...

what gives?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not cold enough.... AT THE IAT SENSOR!!! All I can tell you is... CTD computer does not know what outside air temp is.
Because of Grid Heaters.... it can take 30-45 sec for the IAT to sense non heated air and kick in the High Idle.
Could it be you did not wait long enough?

RJ
Old 12-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Not cold enough.... AT THE IAT SENSOR!!! All I can tell you is... CTD computer does not know what outside air temp is.
Because of Grid Heaters.... it can take 30-45 sec for the IAT to sense non heated air and kick in the High Idle.
Could it be you did not wait long enough?

RJ
20* this morning truck ran outside for 20 minutes at normal idle speed. i wonder if there is something wrong with the IAT. who knows, i dont even have heat inside the cab so letting it warm up that long doesnt help much...its still cold.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:23 PM

Does your truck idle higher than 800 normally? I've noticed with my truck, on a cold start, it runs at ~950 RPM. If I give it any throttle, it will go up, and then stay at aounr 1100 rpm. It idled around 900 rpm cold with the stock VP, but never did the higher idle like it does with the HRVP. Already replaced the APPS a couple months ago, so I think (hope) that has nothing to do with it.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:59 PM

It idles normal any other time. It just makes one heck of a racket when it starts the high idle mode. How long can I let it run on the high idle?
Old 12-08-2006, 11:21 PM

High idle is designed to keep cylinder temps up on prolonged idle times. This is going to be easier on the engine than an 800 rpm idle where the cylinder temps fall, and the fuel doesn't combust completely. Don't idle it more than neccesary, but the high idle is your friend, not your enemy.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:57 AM

you know just to add to this one, a week ago or so I too also thought that My high idle was not working but like rjohnson said it's not cold enough at the intake sensor. you all have to rember that we have that dual bread toast of a grid heater under the hood. thats heating up the incoming air. so unless the dual grid heating elements are both on and can't heat the air temp above 30 degrees it will not high idle. so the outside air for mine has to be in the 15-18F degree range for mine to high idle and for the 3 cylinder it has to be down to about 5-8F degrees and thats starts as soon as the truck does then the high idle in about 1 min after that. you have to rember the out side air goes thought the air intake to the turbo though the tubes to the intercooler then more tubes then the dual toaster , then into the intake past the senser. thats a alot of places for the air to find heat.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:18 AM

TJ

We can pull you IAT today and clean it. Probably needs it bad......
Old 12-09-2006, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
20* this morning truck ran outside for 20 minutes at normal idle speed. i wonder if there is something wrong with the IAT. who knows, i dont even have heat inside the cab so letting it warm up that long doesnt help much...its still cold.
I'd reckon that as long as your truck has sat for an extended period of time in those temps(6+ hours) and your high idle still isn't working, then you have a sensor issue. These engines really need to be cold soaked as they retain quite a bit of heat. My high idle works just fine as long as the truck has sat long enough. A week ago, high idle worked at 6:25 a.m. after sitting in sub 20's all night(9 hours) but at 11:45 a.m. high idle did not activate after sitting in the same sub 20's...

You're not plugging it in are you??
Old 12-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

well i pulled the IAT and cleaned it today...it was black...but now its nice and white and sensor itself is blue like it should be. now i just need to wait for sub 32* weather again to test it.

for someone with alot of power and boost like myself how often should you clean the IAT. i dont think mine had ever been cleaned in 83k...but i am planning to check it regularly now

Quick Reply: high idle