Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

high flow fuel line for cheapo's

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Here is a picture of the factory lines. (underneath the large hose) Note that it is the high pressure line. And this is before the pump.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still have not seen an explanation as to why -8an is preferred over -6an. Can someone explain? I, too, am not trying to knock one or the other, I'd just like to know the benefits.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:39 PM

Wow, no takers on this one?
Old 03-15-2005, 12:06 AM

Why do you need high pressure line. Our systems should not be making much more than 15 PSI. Low pressure hose is rated to 50 PSI.

piper, -8 AN is larger... larger is more flow or less restriction, but the VP44 has a small inlet anyway. I think -6 AN is fine for most applications.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:49 AM

keep in mind that the Scotty Fuel line upgrade comes with all steel adapters and fittings. The only ones I could find from Summit are aluminum. I did find a steel 8anx12-1.5 fitting that Parker hydrualic fittings makes but the hole in the 12x1.5 end is alot smaller than the scotty fitting and would defeat the purpose of the upgrade. I have never seen the aluminum fitting to see what size hole it has.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I guess I can answer some of the questions about my kit even though this is a do it yourself thread.

I have proven with hundreds of kits with stock lift pumps and trucks from stock to over 500 HP that the stock lift pump can do it and do it for 80,000 miles plus.

How? Larger diameter is going to add volume of fuel.
Volume of fuel and larger opening makes for less resistance on the lift pump.
Larger inner diameter allows for more fuel...for cooling as its temp will be a bit cooler then the fuel inside a smaller diameter.

I tried changing lines from the tank and saw no benefit. My concern was providing the simplest way to get to the injector pump with the least amount of resistance.
I tried lots of different combinations and found this set up to be the best of what I tested.

For those that choose to get the fittings from summit, measure the ID of their metric adapter and compare that to the ID of the holes in a banjo bolt.

If you where to price apples to apples; The hose, adapters and fittings, you will find they are very close in price and you will have a -6 system with smaller ID fittings going that route.

How do I know this? Been there and done that. I thought it was the be all end all to bigger banjo bolts and now I have found that the inner diameter from your lift pump to injector pump works better when improved from the stock lines and fittings.

However, since this thread is about finding a less expensive and economical way to save money and perhaps gain a small bit of results...I will as always leave it to your choices.

Thanks to those who have my kit and their great feedback. I had several emails while I was gone that praised the kit.

Also, just so people are aware...I am a one man business that has had to adjust to the demise of wildcat and I need to regroup, rebuild and move on. Thank you to those that believe in my products and all the support.
My strengths are in R&D, I have tried to delagate the expansion and sales of my products and have learned that I must have a bigger role in this to get the awareness of these products out there. The passion of the inventor seems to exceed many vendors.

If you call and get voicemail, leave a msg with a phone number. If you email, give me a number to call and I will.

I plan to establish a certain number of hours on certain days where I will be here and in the office. I will post that on the site asap.

Thanks and now back to our regular program.

Scotty
Old 03-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
"The passion of the inventor seems to exceed many vendors."

Yes, Scotty, I think this is very true......I don't think there will be a substitute for you getting out there and pushing the product.....there are some good vendors but there seems to be many more so-so vendors........

By the way, welcome back......I hope you two had a great honeymoon!........You really have a lot on your plate now, boy!
Old 03-27-2005, 06:52 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
UPDATE:
I installed the Scotty Smart Fuel System on the Beast this morning.

Last night's fuel run I saw:
Idle @ 15 psi
2000 rpm cruise @ 11-12 psi
WOT @ 8 psi (comp with wire set on 3X3) Lifted when pressure dropped to 8 psi.

Today's run to Dale City (about 20 miles each way)
Idle 15 psi
2000 rpm cruise @ 13 psi
WOT @ 10 psi (same settings) Lifted due to speed (~90mph), not lack of pressure.

Not bad for a lift pump with 40,000 miles on it.
Still probably needs to be changed, but I feel much better hitting the 10 psi @ WOT.

Not bad for an hour and a half's work, and all components needed come in the package.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:20 PM

I too have an update, I went with the vulcan weld kit,because I could still go to a nice dinner with the change from a $100 bill. I downloaded a pic to my gallery, the fittings replace the stock banjos and use 3/8 fuel line, my pressures are 23 idle and cruise and 16 is the lowest I have pulled it down. I have a pusher pump putting an aditional 7 psi mounted at the frame. My stock banjo were weenie and the new kit took the fuel system from pansy to mansy!!
Old 03-27-2005, 09:47 PM

What is a "vulcan Weld kit"
Old 03-28-2005, 07:21 PM

If you look in my photo gallery you will see them. they are a fitting made by vulcan weld and tool in Vancouver, WA , vulcanweld@juno.com will get you the info you need. they replace the banjos with a straight fitting that goes from m12 to 3/8 barb. the hole is at least 3times the size of the stocker, I was able to shove a #2 pencil into the fuel hole!! I think there are several good options on high flow fuel system but for $50 I have great fp numbers and the install was gravy. I really like the ability to carry spare fuel line and clamps "just incase". any of you who have puked a rubber line before know the frustration I speak of, now if I get a leak I can just replace it all for $10....I like that!