Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

high flow fuel line for cheapo's

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high flow fuel line for cheapo's

Ok the banjos on our fuel system are weenie! so can anyone offer me parts or pics for a homegrown banjo elimination? I know that the m12x1.5 to 3/8 barb is most likley going to be my route what i don't know is : are all the banjos the 12x1.5 ? are 45* or 90* fittings going to make life easier? anyone gone to jic type fittings with success? I would go with the scotty system but it is febuary and I am a construction guy...see the problem Any pics or posts that become installed on my truck will net you a hero rating and at least a beer at my earliest oppertunity.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Greg
Old 02-24-2005, 04:34 PM

I have read posts about drilling out the holes in the banjos to a larger diameter to open up the flow. Is that what your trying to do? Kevin
Old 02-24-2005, 04:39 PM

Summit Racing has the parts I used... the -6AN to 12MMX1.5 is AER-FBM2246 and the -6AN fitting to -6AN hose barb is AER-1512. Add a little 3/8" hose from the auto parts store and you have it...did mind from the VP44 to my Holley on the frame for about 55$.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:25 PM

thanx for the p/n's how about quanity and any dislikes or things you would do different??????

thanx
Old 02-24-2005, 07:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just drill them out and debur them.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:43 PM
I think I can... I think...

Banjo bolts for Dummies......
Ok what size should they be drilled to and how much difference will that make?
Old 02-25-2005, 12:18 AM

There is another option to save a buck or two use part #RUS-670510 (note these are all Summit part #) for adapter fittings quantity 5. And AER-FBM1222 for the hose ends quantity 5. You may want to use 90 deg fittings on the lift pump outlet, filter inlet and filter outlet. Part # AER-FBM1532 quantity 3. If you use the 90s you will only need two of the AER-FBM1222. Some 3/8" hose form the parts store and a hose clamp for the connection to the factory supply line and you will be good to go.

As for drilling the banjo bolts. You can do this and increase the flow through the bolt. However it will have little effect because of the supply hole in the banjo fitting. Take a look at this thread https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=61185 I posted a picture of the factory banjo fittings. If you look at the size difference in the delivery holes you will see what I am talking about.

HTH
Max

Trending Topics

Old 02-25-2005, 10:16 AM

i looked at the pic, will getting another hose with the big holes fit where the stupid hose is? lengthwise coule it be done? i have not looked at this yet, but its on my soon list now.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:49 AM

thanks for the info, myself, I am a not into the drilled banjo just because if I break down in the middle of the Yukon Terr. and the guy pops one of my already weak banjos....or maybe I am over thinking

THANKS AGAIN
GREG
Old 02-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Remember most auto parts stores sell fuel line marked for fuel injection engines (gas). Since most of them produce between 40-80 psi for the injectors. Regular fuel line is fine for non pressurized applications (like carbuerated engines). I wouldn't want to see anyone here with a burst line on the side of the road.

You may have to look around and bug one of the counter guys to get it.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:33 PM

Actually at the store I work at we insist upon it any chance we get. Too many people come back and bug us that the regular fuel line didn't work after we told them it wouldn't on a high pressure fuel system. But, at half the price, noone seems to think it's worth the extra money. That and compression fittings used on brake line. Scary stuff. Too many people taking shortcuts (unsafe ones at that) to save a few cents. One even came in trying to patch a rubber brake hose on his car with a heater hose connector and some clamps . He had $12 worth of material to patch it, I looked it up on the computer and the replacement hose was $13.50. I gave it to him for the same price just because I didn't want to be the guy in front of him when his brake line blew out.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by SmokinFive9 4x4
Actually at the store I work at we insist upon it any chance we get.
If you don't mind, what store do you work at around here?

brandon.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:22 PM

Correct me if I am wrong here guys, but won't most reinforced automotive fuel line (that is approved for diesel) handle the 15psi that our lift pumps put out?
Old 02-26-2005, 03:18 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally posted by MLR1
Correct me if I am wrong here guys, but won't most reinforced automotive fuel line (that is approved for diesel) handle the 15psi that our lift pumps put out?
As long as it has "high pressure fuel" on the hose. I was under the truck today and I looked at teh fuel lines where they are rubber and it had the "high pressure fuel" stamped on it.

The high pressure line for gas engines has to withstand between 40 to 125 (I think) psi. The gas engine fuel injection system is usually a common rail setup. The fuel pump in the tank pressurizes the fuel to feed the rail directly, so the fuel line has to withstand that pressure. The line should be marked as to how high of a pressure it can withstand.

Better to be safe and get the high pressure line than to have a burst leaky hose on the side of the road.

SMOKINFIV9, what is the low pressure hose rated for?
Old 02-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
If you drill your own Banjo Bolts, be sure that a set of EZ-Outs are sitting in your tool box too.

Real easy to snap them little puppies off.

For my $$, I'll go with Scotty's set up.
In my mind, it's false economy to spend over $4,000 for the Cummins option, then try to save a few bucks on something "as good as" a proven engineered system.
The ID of the fittings Scotty's using are half again as large as the ones you'll find at your local distributor.
One thing about Scotty,.......he's not going to put something on the market without doing his homework first, and he always uses "top-shelf" components, he won't use "cheezy" parts to reduce his costs.

Disclaimer:
Not affiliated with this vendor other than as a satified customer

Quick Reply: high flow fuel line for cheapo's