Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

High elevation tow truck - injectors going in

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
High elevation tow truck - injectors going in

Finally decided what to do on the injectors for my truck and yesterday bought a set of Mach 1.6 from Rip. Got them today and boy are they nice looking! Perfect shape of the tip, nice clean holes. Can't wait for the work day to be over to go put them in.
My project is to upgrade the truck to have good EGTs, good towing manners and help me move a 10k trailer across the Continental Divide without much hesitation.
And, to have fun in the meantime and get better fuel mileage.
So these sticks are going in tonight. The truck is sitting in the garage now with no injectors at all, ready to take them in. I am very anxious to see what it will be like!
Cheers,
-P
Old 06-26-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Please post a prompt reports, Paul! We're expecting to hear all the good news.

I'm secretly jealous of your restraint thus far-- who can keep a CTD so stockish for so long?

I just noticed you have a 1998.5, so..

Make sure that if your engine serial number is before that sgnificant number that you install the new crossover tubes with the upgraded P/N. I don't remember it offhand :duh: but it's out in cyberland somewhere.

Justin
Old 06-26-2008, 10:56 PM

Thanks Justin, I will. I did check the s/n and my tubes are the new type. I actually had the injectors swapped once already, this change will be quick. The first time it took me half day; this time, old ones were out in 1 hour.
Next thing I need to check is the wastegate. I can not move mine by hand, if this normal or is it stuck? I don't have a boost gauge, guess that's the next thing.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:08 AM
GFB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The easiest way to test the wastegate is with your air compressor (if you have one). Set the regulator to 30-40psi depending on your setup and put air to the actuator. You'll have to watch closely as they do not move very much.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:09 PM

Ok, received and installed Mach 1.6. I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of these. They have a dome shaped, 8 hole nozzle with holes noticeably larger than the 7-hole RV275, which are larger than stockers still.
The truck idled rough at first after bleeding, felt like one injector was not firing. After running it up to 1600 rpm the idle became normal, I guess the air expelled from the last line.
The intermediate tubes seeped fuel on three cylinders after shutting the engine down. They all had brand new o-rings, so I will take a look in a little while to see if they settle, otherwise will have to break them loose again and re-seat.
First impressions from the M1.6s: the truck smokes a bit more than with RV275s. I have no chips and untouched stock wastegate. Rolling quickly into 3rd or 4th will puff haze, which would rapidly clear up. The turbo spools up almost instantly, faster than with RV275s. The truck seems "weightless", I have not felt that before. I have not pulled any Gs, just drove normally but acceleration is incredibly smooth and rapid. I end up staying out of the skinny pedal most of the time, I noticed that I always have to back out of it, unlike before.
The truck started up without hot start problem that I experienced before so far, but it was not super hot today. Will see how it goes with that, but I still plan to move the LP power onto a circuit that is disabled when cranking.
Overall, the first impression on M1.6s is, I am extremely pleased, and I realize that I have not used even a third of their full potential. Playing with the wastegate, getting the pyro and boost gauges and getting a VA, EZ or something similar is next.
-P
Old 06-29-2008, 02:58 AM

I'm going with the BD towing twins, would these 1.6's be a good injector for me? I'm also at 4500 or better elevation. I also have the RV275's in right now, but wondering if i need to change sticks out with the twins...Thanks for the info...Capn
Old 06-29-2008, 11:43 AM

I have zero experience with high performance upgrades, I am just starting out with mild ones but I would think that with twins you would want a bigger injector than 275 or 1.6. I think you will want Mach 2 to 4, your twins should provide enough air for those. I know that at lower elevations you would want 4s but at altitude, maybe M2-3 is better to avoid smoking. Hopefully people with twins or high performance singles will chime in, good luck!
Old 06-29-2008, 01:03 PM

I'm really interested in your opinion on these Mach 1.6 injectors. Like you
I have the RV275 injectors and want to upgrade to the Mach's. I just want
to hear from someone who has had both to see if the $7oo.oo price
difference is worth it. If you and others have done it and think it's well
worth the swap ,I'll probably do in July sometime. Of course I'm in Sacramento
alt. 32 ft above sea level Although I tow a 6500# Travel Trailer in the
Sierra's up to 7500' sometimes.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Cap'n-- if you have already settled on the BD twins, then you *can* run a larger injector-- up to an M4 for towing, I'd expect.

But you don't *need* to run a larger injector to get them to perform. Even a Mach 2 will work very well with those towing twins, and EGTs will be easily managed.

High altitude really changes everything as far as "sizing" the twins and injectors and such. Turbine housings needs to get much tighter for compensation of the thin air. For example, the stock turbo housing is undersized on the hot side for most usages-- but for thin air it's nearly ideal.

Thin air will also highlight atomization inefficiency in an injector much sooner. The difference between an efficient injector and a sloppy one can be 200 degrees or more in the thin air.

Paul, for reference purposes, you might want to pull down the equivalent Density Altitude for a hot day when you go out testing. Hot weather in thin air can kick the DA up really fast.

I know there were times in Cheyenne when DA would break 10K. When I could drive my M4s on those days and still control the smoke, I knew that they'd be controllable under almost any circumstance.

For a rig that tows heavy in hot, thin air, I'd suggest an M2 as the largest injector, even with twins. While the M4s are pretty clean for their size, the M2s are more appropriate for this type of duty (and won't soot up your trailer like M4s

JMO

Justin
Old 06-29-2008, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paul, I’ll bet you are going to enjoy those injectors.

CaptRam, here is my experience with the BD twins and Mach 1.5 injectors (obsolete 80 HP injectors). First, I am at sea level and found running a Smarty on level 3 with the 1.5s can be a little smoky if taking off too quickly. Spool-up of the twins is slower then the stock HX35. Towing EGT is not an issue. I stopped watching my gauge when it never got over 1300* cresting hills with about 5000 pounds in tow. I have now moved up to Mach 4s which improved spool-up and can be driven almost haze free if I take it easy but will smoke when pulling a load.

Before the Mach injectors I ran the 275 RVs with a VA box using the factory HX35 turbo. This combo would haze in hot weather at sea level. Moving to Mach 1.5s added to the haze but would never roll the coal. At high altitude and hot air temps, I bet it could.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:54 PM

I keep jumping between the Mach 1.6 and the Mach 2.0. I want the Max
power so I don't have to upgrade again , but don't want any EGT problems
towing my Travel Trailer at 7500"
Old 06-29-2008, 07:56 PM

I figure Smarty and Mach 2's will put me at 340 - 350 HP , which is max
for the stock turbo anyway
Old 06-29-2008, 10:08 PM

MOre like 365hp-370hp in your truck, but you're correct int he stocker being maxed out.

I'm a little beyond safe max with M4s/Smarty and the stocker.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:18 PM

I have to say that if I went back in time had my $7oo back, and my RV275 in the truck, I would buy the 1.6s over again. When I installed the 275s I barely felt any difference at all, which made me wonder if my original injectors were not stock (I bought the truck used). Now with the M1.6s I like the idle better than 275s; the truck revs up faster if you give it a quick push on gas (in neutral); the turbo spools up faster than with 275s when driving. On a 93* day at 4900 feet I see some smoke (and if I wanted, it would be thicker) if I lean into it in 3rd gear even empty and with no electronic add-ons, so I would say, if you plan to tow in thin hot air do not go more than 1.6 with the stock turbo unless you love seeing a black cloud. Rip actually suggested to me not to go over M1 but I do not tow all the time and decided I can calibrate my right foot and avoid smoking when towing, yet have more fun when empty.
All in all, I am real happy with the 1.6s and to me it was worth it. I am yet to put the truck through any paces and to tow with it, but so far I am very pleased.
At sea level, I would bet money that you would feel a big difference and realize even more of 1.6s power than I will at elevation. And the price difference is not $7oo, it is only $5oo.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:04 PM

I only tow 6 - 8 times a year ,otherwise empty. I figure with the Mach 1.6
injectors and the refined Smarty Programming thats supposed to come out.
I should be right where I want to be with power and smoke control

Quick Reply: High elevation tow truck - injectors going in