Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

High EGT'S

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pwrtripls1
My buddy with a 12 second Dmax hits just over 2000* by the end of the 1/4, so 1500* is high but not the end of the world. A bigger turbo should help feed more air at lower temps into it. Also you can get a 4" turbo back for under $300 and that would help too.
Yeah, OK, Thats all good and well but he's hitting 1500* w/ the comp box off and the truck is stock

SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT

Jake
Old 10-28-2005, 01:43 AM

need some pics.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by cummnz4x4pwr
Yeah, OK, Thats all good and well but he's hitting 1500* w/ the comp box off and the truck is stock

SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT

Jake
No doubt there. It could be something as simple as a kink in the tail pipe, a bad injector, or much bigger. I'm just an optimist because big problems are very rare with the cummins, especially in stock form.

Have you checked the timing to see if its retarded to far for some reason? I took my old silverado (i know its a gasser) to the dealer once for some service and had a chip in it. They flashed the computer to meet stock specs with the chip in it, so when I took the chip off it was running 9* retarded from stock and lost alot of power on top of running hot.

I know its a shot in the dark, but its a shot. I hope it all works out for you.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:38 AM

yes i have had the truck in for timming. and the dealership said it was stock. and i watched them when they did that.

everyone is saying that i should get a bigger turbo. but i shouldn't have to get a bigger turbo because the truck is stock. i know i have a chip on it. but i am hitting over 1500* STOCK. so there is something wrong with it and i don't know what it is and nor does cummins.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pwrtripls1

Have you checked the timing to see if its retarded to far for some reason?
Timing adjustment....on an 02 CTD ????

RJ
Old 10-28-2005, 08:36 AM

More info might help.

-You listed 24-26 psi boost. Assume this is with Edge Comp off? What is boost with it on?
-What were your dyno results?
-EGT's at Cruise?
-You said you checked injectors? How and did you have them tested?
-How many miles on truck?
-Your profile says you have had other CTD's. How does this truck run...overall?

To simplify - High EGT's at heavy throttle usually indicates lack of air or too much fuel for the air supplied. If boost levels are normal, problem sound like injectors malfunctioning under a load?? That's my reasoning anyway.

Helpful Tip - on this web site, saying your truck is stock means no box. What I now realized is you meant your engine is stock, I think. This confused me in the beginning...maybe others also.

RJ
Old 10-28-2005, 09:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, stock= no chip, no injectors, no mods at all to the engine.

A Comp on kill will flash 1500 with a stock 02 auto. But you'd be seeing 30+psi, too I'd expect.

So, you're saying you see 1500° with the "chip" completely OFF??? If you've ruled out the gauge (which you can't easily with some, especially one with an amplifier box), then that leaves just a few things:

1) Injector hanging up or leaking
2) Boost leak (btw, you should NOT see 24-26 psi with a stock automatic truck. Your wastegate is modified).

How are you getting 24-26psi out of your truck? How is the wastegate modified? It MUST be modified, because your stock WG will open at 20psi and you won't see more than 20psi from a stock HY turbo!

If your turbo is modded improperly, it won't build the boost necessary for the Edge box. Thus, you are only getting 24-26psi when you should have 30 or more. This would result in high EGT.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:53 AM

-My Boost is the same with chip on and off
-Cummins never gave me the dino results. i even asked for them and they said that i would have to pay for them because dodge paid for it sence it was under warranty.
-my egt's are perfrct at cruse i would say between 900-1000.(and remember this is pre turbo)
-i had my injectors checked by schied diesel
-51000 miles on truck. been doing this sence i got this truck at 12000miles
-i had a 93 12valve and this truck runs better because of the more hp's. but the dodge dealership said that my truck runs good for being stock(witch it was when they tested it) with 35" tires.

-yes i know theres a problem with my truck but i take it to Cummins and the dealership and they say there is nothing wrong with it. and they also say if the pistons hasn't melted then there is no problem. and i told them that i don't want to melt them. i might have to just to prove there is something wrong with my truck.

also i forgot to say i was pulling an empty 20' enclosed trailer at 60mph and could not keep my foot in the pedal because the egt's were really high. at a constant 1250*. i didn't want to go any higher because i had somewhere to go.
Rob
i just don't know what to do
Old 10-28-2005, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Yeah, stock= no chip, no injectors, no mods at all to the engine.

A Comp on kill will flash 1500 with a stock 02 auto. But you'd be seeing 30+psi, too I'd expect.

So, you're saying you see 1500° with the "chip" completely OFF??? If you've ruled out the gauge (which you can't easily with some, especially one with an amplifier box), then that leaves just a few things:

1) Injector hanging up or leaking
2) Boost leak (btw, you should NOT see 24-26 psi with a stock automatic truck. Your wastegate is modified).

How are you getting 24-26psi out of your truck? How is the wastegate modified? It MUST be modified, because your stock WG will open at 20psi and you won't see more than 20psi from a stock HY turbo!

If your turbo is modded improperly, it won't build the boost necessary for the Edge box. Thus, you are only getting 24-26psi when you should have 30 or more. This would result in high EGT.
my wastegate has not been messed with. i bought a stock on just to make sure of that. and it is the same.
and i do reach 24-26psi when my box is off.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by adidasman23
-My Boost is the same with chip on and off........
Important piece of info!!!
If no increase in boost with Edge comp on....box is probably defective. Defective Edge Boxes are not unheard of....but their customer service is excellent. Send it in. Maybe find one to borrow that works first...just to be sure.

Wastegate closed off?

Still does not necessarily address your 1500* at 75 mph with box off but....it may.

How about removing the comp box completely and see? Just guessing here.

With Comp Box on kill you should see 35+/- psi boost with stock injectors, I think. Without the added boost...your egt's will go thru the roof, just like you report!
RJ
Old 10-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

You've got the HY35 turbo on your truck. Do a search for turnbuckle. That'll clamp your waste gate off and up the boost and hopefully bring things a little bit more under control. Other than that, I think you've got a major intake leak or something. My cruising EGT's with the comp set on 5x5 with 275 injectors is only 8-900* pre turbo if that. And that's at 75mph.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I still don't get it......none of this explains why he can hit 1500 egt with a stock truck and the Comp turned off. I would do what RJ suggested - unplug the Comp from the harness and see if there is a change.....I'm grasping at straws here since it does not appear that there is a lack of boost when the engine is running with the Comp turned off.....I'm leaning towards a ECM timing problem of some kind????
Old 10-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Banned

Alright, I tested my truck last night just to see what my temps where mashing the gas all the way to the governor!! Getting on the interstate I layed into her on 3X3 and ran her up to 117mph ( speedo is somewhat off cause of tires ) The highest temp I saw was 1150* at 35psi............ 75mph and 1500* is just plain weird!!!

I had major issues with EGTs on mine right after I but the COMP on because of the lack of boost to help cool the air. I put a turnbuckle on my wastegate so that I could get some more boost plus help with EGTs........HUGE difference I will tell you. I probably cooled off atleast 300* WOT on 3X3 and on 5X5 I still can hit 1400* but it takes awhile to get there!!!

The fact that you are seeing 24 to 26psi on a un-modded wastegate is weird. With mine stock, I couldn't get a hair over 20psi no matter what setting I was on. I would tend to say a boost leak, but with those psi numbers that doesn't make any sense either..........usually if you had a leak you would be seeing lower numbers rather than higher.

Your tires have a little bit of affect on your EGTs, but not that much. I did notice mine were a little higher after I put the 35"s on due to the extra strain.

Does your truck smoke at all? If it smokes constantly from idle all the way to cruising, then you are getting way to much fuel which intern would explain part of your problem. Mine smokes off the line, but then clears up to almost nothing after I start building boost...........I'm just trying to think of every possible reason..............this is puzzling me!!!

~Nick
Old 10-28-2005, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
Alright, I tested my truck last night just to see what my temps where mashing the gas all the way to the governor!! Getting on the interstate I layed into her on 3X3 and ran her up to 117mph ( speedo is somewhat off cause of tires ) The highest temp I saw was 1150* at 35psi............ 75mph and 1500* is just plain weird!!!

I had major issues with EGTs on mine right after I but the COMP on because of the lack of boost to help cool the air. I put a turnbuckle on my wastegate so that I could get some more boost plus help with EGTs........HUGE difference I will tell you. I probably cooled off atleast 300* WOT on 3X3 and on 5X5 I still can hit 1400* but it takes awhile to get there!!!

The fact that you are seeing 24 to 26psi on a un-modded wastegate is weird. With mine stock, I couldn't get a hair over 20psi no matter what setting I was on. I would tend to say a boost leak, but with those psi numbers that doesn't make any sense either..........usually if you had a leak you would be seeing lower numbers rather than higher.

Your tires have a little bit of affect on your EGTs, but not that much. I did notice mine were a little higher after I put the 35"s on due to the extra strain.

Does your truck smoke at all? If it smokes constantly from idle all the way to cruising, then you are getting way to much fuel which intern would explain part of your problem. Mine smokes off the line, but then clears up to almost nothing after I start building boost...........I'm just trying to think of every possible reason..............this is puzzling me!!!

~Nick

Where can i get a turnbuckle? how much at they? what kind of egts were you getting before you put the turnbuckle on. i have to look into that.

-i pust the stock tires back on and did not see any different in egts. cummins blamed it on the tires but i showed them that it didn't make a different.

-yes my truck smokes just like your. just off the line and then clears up. so that means that isn't not over fueled if there isn;t much smoke. right

-i just don't know what to do. that is why i am asking and posting. i have talked to everyone i can think of and they don't know what to say. the only thing cummins says is they can turn the truck down and who the hell would want that.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:29 PM

$2-4.00 at any hardward store. Need open ended hooks on both ends...and it needs either lock nuts or saftey wire it or it will vibrate loose.
Spring is optional...never had one myself. You can just lock the wastegate arm to the turbo housing and lock it closed. Your choice.

Right about the smoke...if it stops smoking at about 10-15 psi boost....not over fueled.

RJ

Quick Reply: High EGT'S