Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

High EGT'S

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation High EGT'S

I need some help. I have a 2002 3/4ton 4x4 with an auto trans. And i have high EGT's with the truck being stock. i have tried everything that people have told me. i have checked my air to air hoses, check the injectors(because i bought the truck used), checked fuel pressure, even installed an after market fuel pusher pump, straight piped it, had the truck dino by cummins. and they said there was no sign of high egts on the dino, but i didn't get to see them dino it. what my egts are, at idle they are around 300 degreese and i can get the egts over 1500 degreese are more at full throttle at 75mph. my manfold has turned white from the high egts. Has anyone had this problem with this. i don't know what to do. i am temped to sell the truck because of this. please let me know.
Rob
Old 10-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Banned

Don't sell it, there is probably a good reason why it is doing that...........I'm trying to think here!! You might have an internal oil leak inside your turbo that might be heating things up, I know it's happened before.

I looked in your profile and saw that you have a chip.........have you tried turning that off or unplugging it to see what your temps are then? I know with my Edge COMP I can smack 1400* pretty dang quick if I stay on it.

And just out of curiousity, how long do you run at those temps?

~Nick
Old 10-27-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob,

Welcome to the DTR!

300* at idle is normal. 1500* at 75 mph is not....for stock. Cruising at 60 mph you should be no higher than 700*...ever checked?
1500* would not turn your manifold white unless held there for a long time...in which case your truck would have melted a piston. Drag racers, hitting 1700* for short periods, have not seen discolored manifolds???

IF your sure it's stock....I would suspect faulty gauge.(other than the "white" manifold...which have never heard of before).

Assuming you have gauges? How do you know the truck is stock...if bgt used with gauges...or did you add those?

Fill in your Signature (User CP in header) so we know what you have on your truck.

Hang in there....the answer is on this web site...with someone. Have patience grasshopper!

RJ
Old 10-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Banned

your profile says you have an edge box...if its an edge comp with stock intake and stock exhaust i can easily see why by the time you get to 75mph at full throttle the truck is seeing those temps...turn the box off or dont run it too hard to long or you will melt a piston. get some more air into and out of that thing and you will see a big difference

edit-your profile says you have exhaust...what is it? a 4" system is good, straight piped is better
Old 10-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Banned

1500* with a comp doesn't surprise me. I could peg 1500* with mine before my new turbo. High EGT's mean that the truck's not getting enough air. Your gonna need a new turbo most likely to get the EGT's in check.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:15 PM

Yes i do have the comp box on my truck. and i turn the box off and it gets up to 1500 degreese. when i turn the chip on i can barry my gauge. yes i have tried more then one gauge. so no i don't think it is faulty gauge. yes i have an K&N air filter. had have drove the truck with no filter at all to see if that changed anything. the exhaust i have is a 4" system i custom made. my parents own a auto parts store so what i mean by i custom made is i bought the 4" down tube out of a system and then put a 45 degree angle out before my rear axle. so there is no muffler are restriction.

the white on my manifold is not that white but it looks like you took a tourch to it and it gets that white flake on it. i have ran these temps for about a min and then shut it down. i don't want to burn my engine up. but is it under engine warranty. i know the truck is stock because i talked to the first and only owner and he said he did nothing to it. and i pulled the injectors just to make sure.

also you say the oil in the turbo. i see some oil every oil change but nothing that looks like a problem. i don't have the turbo silencer on it. but they said that don't make a different.

i will be putting pic. of my truck soon. i am at work now and my g/f has my camera.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:17 PM

oh ya how do i "Fill in your Signature (User CP in header) so we know what you have on your truck"
sorry i am new at this
Old 10-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Banned

At the top of the page there is a button that says User CP. Click on that. On the left hand side of the page you'll see a link that says creat signature or something like that. Click on that and fill the box in.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
adidasman23,

What boost levels are you seeing when you are in these high egt conditions? Low boost will definitely cause egt issues on even a stock truck.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:45 PM

My boost is great. i am seeing around 24-26psi. which i have heard that is where they need to be.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Banned

You need a bigger turbo for sure. Also, ditch the K&N and go with a scotty 2 intake. I've got a ksb-1 turbo on my truck with the scotty 2 and even with the comp on 5x5 and 275 injectors I can only hit 1225*-1250* by the time I hit the speed limiter at 117mph.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:40 PM

The white manifold sounds like someone has painted it, and it has burnt the paint of...but then again, I'm not looking at it, either!!

Chris
Old 10-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by signature600
The white manifold sounds like someone has painted it, and it has burnt the paint of...but then again, I'm not looking at it, either!!

Chris

I've seen them turn colors before, not sure exactly what causes it but I have seen them!! My old work trucks manifold looked like that until I replaced it...........had a small crack in it!!

~Nick
Old 10-27-2005, 10:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by signature600

Chris
just another thought but...is your pyrometer in the manifold? hopefully it was welded in and not brazed in. like a shop "not in my area" did and tried to tell me it would be ok.lol we dont go there anymore!! no way i was paying for that serv. but anyway that white could be from a torch possibly?? just a thought and i could be totally off track. just an idea through my experience.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:26 AM

My buddy with a 12 second Dmax hits just over 2000* by the end of the 1/4, so 1500* is high but not the end of the world. A bigger turbo should help feed more air at lower temps into it. Also you can get a 4" turbo back for under $300 and that would help too.

Quick Reply: High EGT'S