Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

high-altitude towing turbos, with exhaust brake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high-altitude towing turbos, with exhaust brake?

I've read some of the turbo posts here, but I'm still a bit hazy on solutions. I've got an '02 ETH DEE with an Edge Comp (not pinned), 275 injectors, a BHAF, straight-thru exhaust, gauges, and a Jacobs exhaust brake. I tow a large travel trailer or utility trailer in the mountains, sometimes up to 11,000 feet.

I believe I need to get more air through the system at that altitude, the EGT's are high, although I always downshift before they hit 1150*F. Can't replace the HX35 with an HX40 or other because of the exhaust brake. Is an HX40 compressor-side/HX35 turbine-side the only way to go? Like City Diesel's version, the one that Wildcat sells? Or will installing a larger housing on my HX35 do the job? Or perhaps there's another, better solution?

Old 08-29-2003, 06:50 AM

Re:high-altitude towing turbos, with exhaust brake?

Might think bout looken into a Scotty air box. I have read that they really help EGT's over a BHAF.........
Old 08-29-2003, 08:33 AM

Put the Scotty Air II on first. You will need a turbo, if not now as soon as you hook up the Comp. I am working on a hybrid that will be compatible with the exhaust brake, and built just for your type of setup.
www.westtexasturbodiesel.com
Old 08-29-2003, 09:13 AM

WTTD,

What are your goals for this turbo? Altitude is a tough factor to beat. To have decent spool up it would need a smallish(is that a word?) exhaust housing, but that will cause higher EGT's. You could use a smaller shaft, but to flow enough air here it needs to have a much larger wheel. Larger means more stress on the shaft and thus a better chance for breakage.

Old 08-29-2003, 12:09 PM

Are you guys saying that we need a different turbo w/ the comp?
Old 08-29-2003, 12:56 PM

I need a solution for extremely high-altitude towing, and I thought a turbo set-up different from the stock HX35 would help, either a new housing, a hybrid, or ?? (I'm not very up on turbos, and was asking for help.)

I can't install the Scotty II because the pneumatics for the exhaust brake will not allow me to cut the hole in the cowl, and without that second hole, the S-II's ability to cool the air cannot be any greater than my BHAF. Right now I'm running two 3-inch air hoses from the front of the truck back to the BHAF, and two 12v blowers sucking cool air through the hoses and blowing the air on the BHAF. I've got a third blower on the hole in the fender. The assembly is boxed in a metal heat shield and works well.

I just ordered the AFE Pro-Gaurd 7 filter from Geno's to try to get a little more airflow without sacrificing filtering. So I'm asking what's the next step, which I thought was modifying the turbo. Stakeman's comment is good information.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:08 PM

StakeMan,
I am trying to get reasonable EGT's, with comp and 80HP (or smaller) injectors, with fast spoolup, and good towing manners, as well as something that is reliable. Sure there are turbos out there that are capable of this now, but $$$ is what I am trying to work around.
Horse Hauler,
You do not necessarily need a different turbo with the comp. That is the great part about a comp. If your egt's are not in check, turn it down. Others would not even think about turning it down .
Parvenu,
I will have a lot more information about this time next week. I would just be guessing if I tried to tell you how this turbo will work for you right now. Time will tell.
www.westtexasturbodiesel.com

Trending Topics

Old 08-30-2003, 10:19 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

We've got a couple guys running the Hybrid 40/35 at altitude, with about the same level of mods that you are running, and it appears to be working for them. EGTs can crawl up to the 1300 mark, but they don't typically get above that point. We ended up going with a 12cm wastegated turbine housing to keep thing spooling up, but depending on the loads you are hauling, you may need to look to the 14cm housing, which will end up losing you some spoolup.

Rod