Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Helper Pump Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helper Pump Wiring?

I'm a new owner of a 2001 CTD and have been reading up on LP failures and fixes.

So I ordered a Vulcan big line and LP relocation kit and it's waiting to go in.
I was also interested in adding a helper pump while I was at it. I'm thinking along the lines of a 4601HP or similar.

My question is how to wire it corectly? From what I gather, the preferred method is to build a new harness with a relay. Can any one help a noob with the details or provide a link?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Registered

i run a holley blue with my lp in the stock location and im pushin 25 + psi

I ran a hot wire to the fuse box from the holley that is only hot when the key is on.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:21 PM

I use the 4601hp pump and am happy with it. I used the relay method. It was a foglight relay if I remember right. You just run a hot wire to the relay, a trigger wire from your factory lift pump wire to the relay and a wire from the relay to the new pump. Its not that hard at all.Good luck.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:30 PM

Thanks for the info. That makes perfect sense.

Are you guys running a regulator?
Old 09-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Banned

i bought a fuel pressure safety switch that you plum into the block that only works when the oil pressure gets up to 15 psi,then it will turn on my pusher pump. I did this because of people saying, once they put in a second pump on a relay with the switch,it will sometimes start hard. but this is only what i heard and did not want to take a chance of hard cold starts.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Dummy
i bought a fuel pressure safety switch that you plum into the block that only works when the oil pressure gets up to 15 psi,then it will turn on my pusher pump. I did this because of people saying, once they put in a second pump on a relay with the switch,it will sometimes start hard. but this is only what i heard and did not want to take a chance of hard cold starts.

what would be the difference(pressure wise) in a stock lp and a helper pump?
what kind of pressure ya seein with a setup like that? i'm assuming ya just have 2 oem lift pumps right?
Old 09-19-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by dsl kicks gas
what would be the difference(pressure wise) in a stock lp and a helper pump?
what kind of pressure ya seein with a setup like that? i'm assuming ya just have 2 oem lift pumps right?
I get about 20 psi at idle 15 cruising about 10 wot. I am not using a regulator.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:59 PM

ive been wondering if i run stock lp and a holley blue if i could put the blue on a toggle start the truck with the stock lp then switch on the blue when i want. i do believe that the holley is flow through. any thoughts whether this would work.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daniel
ive been wondering if i run stock lp and a holley blue if i could put the blue on a toggle start the truck with the stock lp then switch on the blue when i want. i do believe that the holley is flow through. any thoughts whether this would work.
The Holley Blue is not flow through and would be a severe restriction when it is turned off. The restriction would be enough to trigger an immediate 0216 code. Don't worry about the 0216 code triggered this way, because no harm will have been done to the VP44.

The best way to power an auxillary pump is relay it off the stock lift pump harness, using a seperate keyed power source.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:50 AM

Could someone post a wiring diagram of that? Electronics are not my thing. I think I got it but a picture would be helpful.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:49 AM

same here...I am putting a Holley blue on and will go the relay route, but which wire is the control wire for the stock LP?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Banned

I am running a lot of fuel pressure with my setup and have to put in regulator to limit it. (40psi at idle,25psi at wot) im using a procomp blue pump 140gph at 14 psi.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Generally speaking the red wire to the LP will be the "trigger" or "control" wire.

So...
You splice off of the red wire to the stock LP and this wire is connected to the trigger part of the relay (and the stock LP)
You run a hot lead (fused) from the fuse box to the switch portion of the relay.

Then from the other side of the switch in the relay to the pump. (this is the lead that will actually power the pump.
Then you run the ground and negative to ground.

This way the operation of the stock LP is normal and it triggers the relay to turn the pusher on and off and the pusher draws from the main power rather than the ECM.

I apologise for this horrible description...it has been a long day!

I hope it helped and good luck with the wiring. I will try to make a picture unless someone else does first.
-Geoff
Old 09-20-2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel
i run a holley blue with my lp in the stock location and im pushin 25 + psi

I ran a hot wire to the fuse box from the holley that is only hot when the key is on.
Blackdiesel,
What pump do you have in the stock location, the OEM pump or a Campaign pump? Also, are you running 3/8 fuel line to the VP, or the stock line with banjos?

I own two Campaign pumps that I want to use, one in the stock location, and one in the frame as a pusher. Since I own these already, I want to try using these two pumps with the stock line and banjos. I’m just not sure if the stock line/banjos will be too restrictive. If it doesn’t work, I’ll go to the Glacier kit. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:10 AM

i have a extra campagin too, but the main problem i see is gettin somethin to thread in to the pump it's self. and the plug for it

Quick Reply: Helper Pump Wiring?