Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help with Twins

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Twins

Ok i posted a thread a couple of weeks ago, thanks for all the info, so i guess what i'm wanting help with is...what to go with for twins? I'm looking for info from people with twins now, what would you do different? If anything? What companies to go with, my good friend Chris (dodgezilla04) is doing alot of my dirty work for me right now since i'm deployed to Iraq, I'm gettin my shopping list ready for my return!! Heres what i'm looking for, no heating problems towing at 4500 ft! and some good #'s! Is it better to piece a kit together and use my stock turbo? Or go with a kit from somewhere? Do i need to change sticks, boxes? Sorry for all the ?'s but want to get alot of input before i dive into this! Our interent here in the sandbox is marginal at best..and slow!! but my day off is set for surfing!! Thanks guys and gals for supporting the troops!! Looking forward to your input... Capnram
Old 05-10-2008, 10:45 AM

CapN .... hope you get some good feedback, been pretty quiet lately.

I cant comment on anything i've learned as i don't know how it applies to the 24v. But for my 12v i figure i can save a little coin building some of the basics myself. But no matter what you do, quality parts which builds a quality product cost $; And it adds up QUICK!

You can get everything in one place buying from Source Automotive (Rip) but he's not cheap.

Looks like you have a 62/14, which should make a GREAT top over an S400 / HT3b for a very reliable modest hp setup. Slap some DDP4/5's on there that's a proven setup on a 12v for 550+

Good luck, hopefully someone chimes in ...
Old 05-10-2008, 08:22 PM

I would go with the stock turbo and put an S400 under it. The S400 spools better and flow a small amount more air than the HT3B. The S400 is a little bit more expensive (~$50) but it is well worth it. Again, with Eradan, I have a 12v and I love my S400.

The only thing I would do different would be to spend more time on the welding and sanding the cold air pipes. (see pics in gallery) If you buy your pipes you shouldn't have that problem
Old 05-11-2008, 02:55 AM

Thanks for the info guys...now come on 24V guys and gals, i know theres a bunch in the twins club..where ya at?? Give me some input here, as i said..lookin for what you might have done different if anything? Thanks again..Capn
Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 AM

i love my setup. id say get a set of mach 4s, a box like an adrenaline and a s400 or ht3b to put under the turbo you already have. how heavy are you towing?
Old 05-11-2008, 10:50 AM

Check my sig, my set-up works perfect for me and meets all of your conditions. The s400 is an s475. EGT's are a non issure (I ussually tow with the TST off). If you want to go the kit route, I can reccommed one of Rip's.

You might look at using an s300 variant for the secondary, I already owned the Dodgezilla so I used it. You could also go with an HX35, they seem to get good reveiws in an moderate Hp (500?) set of twins. I have not dyno'd recently, hoping to be close to 500 Hp.

I had to ditch the Smarty, not for performance, but for too much smoke. My twins do not spool fast enough. With the bigger tires and injectors smoke was out of control.

Jim
Old 05-11-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by NoSeeUm
Check my sig, my set-up works perfect for me and meets all of your conditions. The s400 is an s475. EGT's are a non issure (I ussually tow with the TST off). If you want to go the kit route, I can reccommed one of Rip's.
Where did you pick up the 475 from? ...

I'm still trying to pick a bottom turbo .... i'm looking for moderate tow-ability .... but mostly fun street manners .. i tow 8 - 10 at LOW altitudes allot ... but mostly flat ... (i'm in arizona). I had ruled out the ht3b as everyone say's the S400 is a bit bigger and flows quite a bit more.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:12 AM

It is what Rip sells in his kits, you might try giving him a call.

Jim
Old 05-11-2008, 12:14 PM

What does anyone feel about adding to the lower end of a BD Super B special?? I need more mileage and lower EGTS. I was thinking about a S400 or HT3B?? Would that be to much for my DDP 150's? I know it would spool a little later but not really sure how much.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 PM

If your looking for decent spoolup and towing i would recomend running a k31.
Capn I would stick with your 62 on top. I outgrew my 35 pretty quick. If your looking to do it yourself rip sells kits and pieces/parts. Also check with Llyod at Mid Atlantic Diesel I know he has some of the parts on hand and he will treat you right.
Joe
Old 05-11-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm going to suggest the stock charger for a top unit. The 62mm chargers are imo too big to spool up quickly enough to get ahead of the EGTs at 4500ft elevation with a trailer in tow.

So, I'd do a stock charger on top, albeit with a slightly larger housing (14wg).

Then, I'd do a small S400 underneath-- 72-76mm inducer size range. You want something that can get in the game early and deliver 80lb/min or so.

Another option on bottom is a K31 (which has a large housing and should keep pressures under control, but might be a little laggier than some other small primaries).

My personal favorite on bottom would be a Garrett GT4202-- you have 4 housing options to dial them in exactly for what you want. If you want max spoolup, the 4294 will do 500hp and should spool as good as any primary you can find in that range.

JMO
Old 05-11-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
k31 spools great with 150 sticks and tows great ive ran those and some others also with a 62/14 and a now a 62/13/71 over k31. i love the combo it does really good ive also ran a 64/16/71 over k31 and it still did alright.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
I'm going to suggest the stock charger for a top unit. The 62mm chargers are imo too big to spool up quickly enough to get ahead of the EGTs at 4500ft elevation with a trailer in tow.

So, I'd do a stock charger on top, albeit with a slightly larger housing (14wg).

Then, I'd do a small S400 underneath-- 72-76mm inducer size range. You want something that can get in the game early and deliver 80lb/min or so.

Another option on bottom is a K31 (which has a large housing and should keep pressures under control, but might be a little laggier than some other small primaries).

My personal favorite on bottom would be a Garrett GT4202-- you have 4 housing options to dial them in exactly for what you want. If you want max spoolup, the 4294 will do 500hp and should spool as good as any primary you can find in that range.

JMO
The big problem I have with running the stocker is the cost of the 14cm wastegated housing $450 for a new one is a bit pricey. The K31 I am running has a 1.24 A/R turbine housing. I just replaced my stocker with an HX40/16cm housing and spoolup is still sweet. I would suggest you go to a bigger injector those 275s aren't going to be quite enough fuel. The 35 over k31 is good for about 425-450 hp so if you plan on going more than that I would go ahead and use the 62 you already have. Here is a link to a thread over on CompD with some good info.http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=28088 Hope this helps.
Joe
Old 05-12-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
True, but $450 is cheaper than a 62mm turbo-- unless you've already spent that money. You *could* sell the 62mm charger and buy the 14cm housing for the stocker and still be $$ ahead.

35/3b combo has made over 650hp, so it's got the legs at the limits.

The stock charger is the fastest spooling top charger widely used in twins-- and this is absolutely crucial when towing in thin air.

I'm not saying other chargers won't work well or even at all-- just that it's hard to beat the performance of the stocker for this particular application.

jh
Old 05-12-2008, 09:02 PM

Hohn,

For the money ... what top would you run over an 80mm s400 .. if you didn't have the thin air to worry about ... didn't mind it not starting to spool till ~ 1800+ rpm ... and didn't tow too heavy (~ 8 - 10k). Barring in mind this was an auto.

Looking at 150 - 220hp sticks ... i was considering a running an s300 variant ... or the SS71 .... which seems like it would work GREAT over an 1.32/80mm s400.

What's your thoughts?

Quick Reply: Help with Twins