Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help with turbo swap...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with turbo swap...

Well have been getting a good amount of progress lately. I got the #8 fuel plate installed with the 4200 gsk and installed the ats exhaust manifold about a month and a half ago. Well that added power got old, so its time to move on...

Today, I took a few minutes today (time can be a bit tight) and started taking the hx35 out to replace it with the htt 64/14 that I bought from Ben (wildmanben). Almost got it out of the truck with the time I had today, but noticed a possible problem. the oil feed line, where it threads into the center section doesn't appear to have a removable adapter like I expected, and its VERY difficult to remove the steel braided line from the center section or the filter mount because it's impossible to turn.

Were any of the hx35's known to not have the adapter, and just an outlet? I felt around and was unable to feel any bolts on or under the flange and did not have my camera or phone with me to take any pics.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Steve
Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 AM

it dosent have a AN to thread fitting that goes from the oil line to the cartridge? It should
Old 08-03-2007, 10:26 AM

When i swapped mine out the braided line took some finesse to get loose.Had to put a wrench on the fitting on the turbo one on the line and at the same time hold the line from turning (was stuck pretty good)
Old 08-03-2007, 11:59 AM

It has AN to thread fitting to adapt the steel braided line to the center section thread, but the HTT 64/14 has a flange almost identical to that of the return line, though it does have threads in the center. I'm loading some pictures to show what I'm talking about...

-Steve
Old 08-03-2007, 12:08 PM

Please do that fitting should come right out of the stock turbo and screw right in to your 64/14 turbo
Old 08-03-2007, 12:10 PM

Here's a picture of the oil feed on the HX35. Notice the steel braided line comes to the 90* elbow, to the 5/8" line nut, that threads into a 3/4" adapter. (Side question on this, is the elbow supposed to move freely in the nut when it starts to loosen? Kind of like solid brake lines?)

Here's the picture of the HTB2, notice it has a flange style mount, but has threads in the center. Am I to just thread the steel braided line directly into this, or is there a flanged adapter?

-Steve
Old 08-03-2007, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Nastey I'm curious to see how that turbo works out for you I have been looking at the same one but i'm not sure I want somthing that laggy..............
Old 08-03-2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by BigNasty4x4
Here's a picture of the oil feed on the HX35. Notice the steel braided line comes to the 90* elbow, to the 5/8" line nut, that threads into a 3/4" adapter. (Side question on this, is the elbow supposed to move freely in the nut when it starts to loosen? Kind of like solid brake lines?)

Here's the picture of the HTB2, notice it has a flange style mount, but has threads in the center. Am I to just thread the steel braided line directly into this, or is there a flanged adapter?

-Steve
The 90 elbow should swivel when broke loose, yours looks like it's got some age and rusted good, soak it with some PB blaster. And the fitting should thread down into the hole on the 64, those flange holes are from when this cartridge was in its original form for bigger trucks but II and HTT modify them for our trucks

Thanks Brett
Old 08-03-2007, 12:30 PM

I'll be glad to give you a review of the turbo, and even possibly some dyno numbers if I can get the head studs installed, and get the ddp4 injectors and valve springs in by next saturday for the dyno even at cecil county. I'll be testing with both an 8 plate and a 100 plate to see which one I like better with the htb2 and ddp4's. I'm a little leary the 100 plate might be a little too mhot with the 215 pump and ddp4's, but we'll see. Maybe they'll let me dyno once with each plate...

Ether way contact me in a week or so and I'll let you know how I like it.

-Steve
Old 08-03-2007, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy
The 90 elbow should swivel when broke loose, yours looks like it's got some age and rusted good, soak it with some PB blaster. And the fitting should thread down into the hole on the 64, those flange holes are from when this cartridge was in its original form for bigger trucks but II and HTT modify them for our trucks

Thanks Brett
Thats what I thought, but I'd rather be sure. At first glance I felt like I was missing something, but wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying Brett, big help!

-Steve
Old 08-03-2007, 12:35 PM

The dubble fitting does 2 things , adapter as you said , the second is that it acts as a seat for the steel line & smaller fitting , its not unusual that the smaller nut & steel line will fuse together , I like Blast as a penatrent , spray with blast let sit for hrs at least if not a day or more , the longer you give it the more you spray it , it does not have to be dripping , just keep wet .
You may want a 3rd hand , put wrench on larger nut [ to hold from moving ] put wrench on smaller nut , what you want to do is just crack it lose [ 1/8-1/4 turn ] let the steel line move with smaller nut , once you get it to move freely [ turning in both directions by hand , loesen up to about 1/2 turn with out bind hose , now hold line & wrench on small nut , slowly try to wiggle the 2 in oppensent directions , being careful not to twist steel line , the fitting should come lose but stays with line , the line has a flange on the end that seats in the larger fitting .
Its not uncomin for the line to break in this application , heat & rust .
Old 08-03-2007, 12:36 PM

You coming to the Queen Anne's county sled pull/Dyno day Aug 11th?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:13 PM

Cool I won't have the fuel you have so I'm wondering if I can even spool somthing that big??
Old 08-03-2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by schoust
Cool I won't have the fuel you have so I'm wondering if I can even spool somthing that big??
I'm not running much more then you and can spool a 66/14 pretty good
Old 08-03-2007, 02:26 PM

Spl I have looked at the 66 I figure I can always get more fuel I'm only running a 160 pump but I drive my truck every day and don't want a laggy pig....

Quick Reply: Help with turbo swap...