Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help! Truck On Death Bed!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Truck On Death Bed!!!!!

Ok, so I put my hx-50 on the truck and ran it for about 200 miles before I got into it to break it in. Prior to putting the turbo in I had no codes that vere visible on the odometer. It ran great the whole day with no overheating problems and EGT's and boost psi were all in order. I took it to the track and made some passes with it and everything seemed to be running normal. My last pass I came off the line and everthing was normal untill I got about 100ft from the finish line I noticed the engine start to back down like it was defueling but it just kept going down untill the engine died. (During this EGT was about 1500 and my highest boost was 50psi) I coasted off the track and tried to start it. When I tried to start the truck it sounded like it has no compression. Checked the brand new HX-50 and the compresser side was trashed. The shaft snaped. The next day we took the turbo off and found that the exhaust side was perfectly intact, so that told me nothuing had made it out of the motor. You can't hear any noises internally and everything operates as it should,ie:valve train, crank, ect. I threw the hx-35 on thinking maybe it just needed a little back pressure to turn over properly, but thats not the case. Is there anyway the computer will shut the VP down for any reason? It still won't start and I have the following codes: 0238, 0236, 1475, 0217. The motor seems to be together, it just won't fire. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric
Old 05-26-2006, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by EGaskamp
Ok, so I put my hx-50 on the truck and ran it for about 200 miles before I got into it to break it in. Prior to putting the turbo in I had no codes that vere visible on the odometer. It ran great the whole day with no overheating problems and EGT's and boost psi were all in order. I took it to the track and made some passes with it and everything seemed to be running normal. My last pass I came off the line and everthing was normal untill I got about 100ft from the finish line I noticed the engine start to back down like it was defueling but it just kept going down untill the engine died. (During this EGT was about 1500 and my highest boost was 50psi) I coasted off the track and tried to start it. When I tried to start the truck it sounded like it has no compression. Checked the brand new HX-50 and the compresser side was trashed. The shaft snaped. The next day we took the turbo off and found that the exhaust side was perfectly intact, so that told me nothuing had made it out of the motor. You can't hear any noises internally and everything operates as it should,ie:valve train, crank, ect. I threw the hx-35 on thinking maybe it just needed a little back pressure to turn over properly, but thats not the case. Is there anyway the computer will shut the VP down for any reason? It still won't start and I have the following codes: 0238, 0236, 1475, 0217. The motor seems to be together, it just won't fire. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric
P0236 (M) Map Sensor Too High Too Long Problem detected in turbocharger wastegate

P0238 (M) Map Sensor Voltage Too High MAP sensor voltage input above the maximum
acceptable voltage.

P01475 Aux 5 Volt Supply Voltage High Sensor supply voltage for ECM
sensors is too high

P0217 Decreased Engine Performance Due
To Engine Overheat Condition
Engine overheating. ECM will derate engine performance

Dont know if that helps or not but its all i could find.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:56 PM

Ok, here's what the codes mean:

P0238 = Map Sensor Voltage Too High (MAP sensor voltage input above the maximum acceptable voltage)

P0236 = MAP Sensor Too High Too Long (Problem detected in turbocharger wastegate)

P01475 = Aux 5 Volt Supply Voltage High (Sensor supply voltage for ECM sensors is too high)

P0217 = Decreased Engine Performance Due To Engine Overheat Condition (Engine overheating. ECM will derate engine performance)

Thats about all I can do for ya, codes came right out of the factory manual. Anybody else have any ideas?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:58 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by dezlsmkr
P0236 (M) Map Sensor Too High Too Long Problem detected in turbocharger wastegate

P0238 (M) Map Sensor Voltage Too High MAP sensor voltage input above the maximum
acceptable voltage.

P01475 Aux 5 Volt Supply Voltage High Sensor supply voltage for ECM
sensors is too high

P0217 Decreased Engine Performance Due
To Engine Overheat Condition
Engine overheating. ECM will derate engine performance

Dont know if that helps or not but its all i could find.

LOL, we posted at the same time, what are the chances of that happening?
lol!
Old 05-27-2006, 12:46 PM

I would pull the intercooler off and flush it out. If you are lucky, it caught all of the pieces.

Do a compression check.

Might not be a bad idea to pull the head, too.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:59 PM

I'm going to pull the intercooler. I don't think it has bad compresion though. For it to not even sound like it wants to fire, I'm thinking there might be something in the VP that the ECM shut off or something. For it to have no compression all of the cylinders would have to be totally trashed and I know thats not the case because I would think I could hear something rattling around in there. The valvetrain and crank are all intact and everything moves like it should when we just whirled it over. I'm very lost. But I don't think the motor is trashed. Also there is no water or diesel in the oil or vice versa. Thanks guys. Let me know if yall think of anything

Eric
Old 05-28-2006, 10:48 PM

A buddy of mine has a 03 and it would turn over get and fuel but would not run after two different shops looked at it they found out one of the battery termonals were loose on one of the batterys.... hey it's worth a look at it

good luck
I may be good for nothin but u should see me fall down the stairs
Old 05-29-2006, 05:15 PM

I can't believe the shaft broke... parts of it does sound like an electrical problem... (wouldn't be the first one your truck..) Normally when voltage is high.. there is a open in the ground circuit... but it shouldn't keep it from starting...
Are you getting fuel??? Did the VP finally go???