Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Help With Towing Setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 3.55's and 285's. I tow often in 4th at 2250 rpm @ 60 mph. That seems like a really sweet rpm for power and low EGT. Any curvy and or hilly road and I run in 4th 90% of the time. When I hit the flats I will slide it into 5th which is 1670 rpm @ 60 mph. A high 5th gear is nice for running empty.

The only time I have trouble is in the 35 to 45 mph range, which for the 5 speed is a bit high rpm in 3rd and too low rpm in 4th. This would be like pulling a curvy grade. The rpm split is about 1000 rpm between 3rd and 4th. The 6 speed would have zero issues I would imagine. Flat land is no problem at all.

Still....

I think that you enjoy your trips better if your EGT's were in check for how you prefer to drive, not how your turbo makes you drive. I think I would into look into selling, trading and or modifying that turbo. In my case, I just went with twins.

End of story....

Jim
Old 09-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HOHN
Any results yet on the M1s?
Put about 120 miles on them so far and I can say the fuel gauge is barely off "Full" so they are definitely not bad on fuel at all. No numbers yet.. They have a real low end smoothness that stands out, so you can tell they are well matched. Smoother than the 275s. Powerwise, they are what is claimed. More than the 275s on top, feel pretty much like the DD2s did with less smoke although in this heat you can make em puff if you roll it on a little hard under the turbo on shifts.

Coolness, not sure if they are quite as cool as the 275s but too early to really tell. Its not a real fair comparison since they do make more power and that directly correlates to egts. They may be the same at the same power output but its just easier to make more power with the m1s so that may be the deal.

Im a little pickier it seems than most on the touchy throttle thing and thats the only thing Im not thrilled about is they are a little more touchy off the bottom than I like.. Most people would probably like that, guess im just wierd that way.

All in all, im going to give them a week of work commuting next week and then make the choice of which ones to keep and which ones to sell. Even though the 275s arent quite the same quality, for some reason so far they seem to match my driving style a little better. Plus i have the power box anyways so can always turn em up if wanted..

I think there is no clear winner between the 275s or M1s. Theyre both great choices for the towing crowd for sure. It comes down to driving style and do you want the Rolls Royces with quicker and smoother response, or the old standards, a little more choppy at idle, less touchy off the bottom, but have done good for alot of hot shotters. All personal preference. Thanks for asking.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd run the smarty down a bit and see if they the jumpiness isn't a little better. Try level #3

Justin